Dana 60 5x4.5 full floater?

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone hear ever built or had a full floating axle Dana 60 with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern? I would like to build one to put under my D150 to allow easier gear changes.

Dont know about a Dana 60 giving easier gear changes. If I remember right it was a one year only deal in the trucks so they are scarce.

If easy gear swaps is what you are after an 8 3/4 rear would be a better choice. Some 72 to 75 or so pickups came with 8 3/4 5x 4.5 pattern.

the 1967 to 1972 ford pickups used a dana 60 with passenger axles, 5 on 4 1/2 they are lighter, splines are 30, same as a 8 3/4 have to change front yoke to mopar style

Has anyone hear ever built or had a full floating axle Dana 60 with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern? I would like to build one to put under my D150 to allow easier gear changes.
Never made such a beast.

Had a dana 60 under the mid 70s work truck we had (don't remember whether it was a D100, or D150) with 5 on 4 1/2, but it definitely was not a full floater.

What wheels would you use? I've never seen a five lug with that huge center hole.

In my Stock Eliminator Trucks, I run B Body 8 3/4
68 to 70
Long bed or short bed? Manual or auto? I'm in a long bed D150 with a 4 speed so I unfortunately am worried an 8 3/4 won't hold up even with the best of hardware

Mine weighed 4000Lbs and made 470+HP.
It set NHRA National Record N/SA well in the 11's
It is still being race for a dozen more years in the Northwest
and has not had an issue since I put good Axles in it!
If you ever have an opportunity to set up a Dana 60
in a car on you back, I do not think you would find it easier
than the 8 3/4 that you can take out and put on your workbench.

Just my .02.
Your Mileage will vary

From everything I've read, the corporate 9 1/4" rear is very strong, easy to find & very easy to work on. That is what I understand from Richard Ehrenberg in a few Mopar Action articles.

From everything I've read, the corporate 9 1/4" rear is very strong, easy to find & very easy to work on. That is what I understand from Richard Ehrenberg in a few Mopar Action articles.

I believe it is not easy to find geats for the 9 1/4, But
they are pretty stout!

I believe it is not easy to find geats for the 9 1/4, But
they are pretty stout!
Summit racing has gear sets & bearing kits for these from Richmond Gear. 3.55, 3.91 & 4.10s. I may put 4.10s in my Dakota.

It's not a mopar rearend but a ford 9" in a floater has a lot of industry support.

More than 1/2 the time I try to buy a part they
are on backorder. Last month I tried to order gears
from Summit and Jegs. They said they were available
in a short time and both time they refunded my Credit Card
the next day and said not available at this time. They said they
would inform me when they had a date = Nothing so Far!

More than 1/2 the time I try to buy a part they
are on backorder. Last month I tried to order gears
from Summit and Jegs. They said they were available
in a short time and both time they refunded my Credit Card
the next day and said not available at this time. They said they
would inform me when they had a date = Nothing so Far!
Yeah, I keep forgetting about back orders & the like. It's not a very good time in this world for ANYTHING.

-
Back