Dana 60 - Pinion depth problem

-

rgrella

Reaction score
Let me first lay out what i have then discuss the problem:
1- Dana 60 housing, shorten and bear (no axles etc.)
2- Yukon kit: yk-D60-R 14037
3- Ring and pinion: 4:10 (5-01-91 Dana D 30360 PAL154 41-10

When setting the pinion into the housing i'm unable to achieve the pinion depth of 3.125. I have removed all shims from the housing behind the bearing race and insured that it is flush to the housing (did this several times). There are no shims nor oil baffle installed between the pinion gear and inner bearing. The bearing is sitting flush to the pinion gear. To double check the depth I've laid in the carriage and sure enough the ring and pinion is tight and the carriage is not sitting properly in the housing cratle. I've measured the pinions depth many times, looked for differences in pinion sizes, etc. the only item that looks remotely different are the inner pinion bearings. The new one has long roller bearing while the original factory installed bearing is shorter however with the bearing race they look to be the same thickness, this is hard to measure since the older bearing is not in good shape.

The origin pinion had a shim stack of .043 and the pinion was +4, the replacement pinion is +1. I've had others look at the installation and validate my findings and we are at a lose. Has anyone else experienced this situation and what did they find as the root cause and how was it corrected.

The pinion is sitting about .060 high in the housing and the depth is 3.185

Thanks
Ray

Wow, a total change of over .100 should be something you can see.

I would start by assembling each bearing set (old & new) side by side on a flat surface, pinion side down.

They should be close, even if the old one is worn - as long as it has a full set of rollers.

Can you swing by the bearing house & measure a second bearing? Take the new bearing with you and compare it perhaps?

It looks like you have covered all the basics already. I have had a bad (or wrong) bearing drive me nuts before.

Good luck

B.

hi, unless my math is wrong? 3.185 should be more than 3.125. if your measuring from the center, 3.185 is farther away than 3.125. the smaller number should mean your closer to center line. 3.185 is deeper pinion depth from center. try adding shims to pinion, and see what you get. I went and checked my setter and came up with this number.just food for thought. set your gauge at 3.125 and see how much space there is between pinion and gauge.

I think i found my problem, after talking to Yukon and reading your reply i removed the ring gear to locate the part number on the locker. While the person i bought it from stated it was for 4:10 and lower the locker is actually for 4:56 and higher. Since i purchased it several months ago i'm stuck. So my son and I are running the numbers to determine the impact if we install 4:56. The car is a little street and track. Since the quarter panels will be replaced we may opt for larger dia wheels, we have already mini-tub and moved the leafs inwards. Also have caltracs. So the hole shots may be great but top end will suffer. It's my sons first engine, est about 325hp. Hes only 15 so lots of time to think about a bigger engine. At least the rear will be ready.

Thanks to all that replied. You know i looked at gears, installed them, removed them, measured everything and looked for the obvious. Had others look at it, the numbers etc.. i was too close to it all. BIG THANKS!

have a question, i just received my axles from Strange and noticed that the invoice shows both left and right axles to be the same length, sure enough they are the same. Am i crazy but i thought there is a left and right for dana 60 axles. The rear was cut and measured, Drivers side tube (flange to pinion center) is 23 1/2 while passenger side tube measurement is (flange to pinion center) 22 1/2. I would have thought the axles would be 1" different. Housing end to end is 46". Any thoughts? thanks. Strange is closed so maybe i need to call them on Monday
ray

Simple issue, you have your rear put them in and see.

Axle doesn't go to pinion center, so going off pinion center isn't going to help they stop before center....

Someone else hit it. If the measurement you have is larger than what's required, you need to put shims behind the race.

Mopar pinion offset on a D60 is 1 3/8" longer on drivers side tube from case centerline. I take it you wanted a rear with a total width of about 51". Normal axle gap is 1.75" on a D60.

It's easier to measure from the case insertion point of the tube to flange. D60 cases are generally 17.5" in width. I have a spreadsheet that kicks everything out, tube lengths, axle lengths, etc. I'm guessing the axle lengths you have may be close enough.

UPDATE:
the axles are too long, been on the phone with Strange and working through all the calulations and we come to find that in the detroit lockers (Soft locker) there are dampering plates that limit the axles ability to slide into the carriage to far. When the axles are installed they go into the carriage splines by 2" then stop when the hit the carriage "preload damper", when the retainer plates were tightened the axle tighten up and were hard to turn

original sizing:
Based on calculations the proper axle length should be 25", this is based on the following data i provided for the order:
1- "O" Driver side - 23 1/2
2- "L" Pass side: 22 1/2
3- Overall length - 46"
4- Detroit locker
5- Late Big Ford bearing ends

With this carriage the preload gear spacing found in the newer Detroit lockers, AKA "soft Locker" are about .9375 thick and stops the axles. In the older lockers these plate are not there and the axles would have fix. Normally Strange takes this into account and shorten the axles slightly for POSI/trackers

Strange has been great to work with, the axles are being sent back to have .250 removed. Once i get them back I'll update

The attached file show the break out of the lockers, on the tab "Soft locker" look at items 13 & 14, these are plates i'm referencing. They are also found in the NoSpin configurations for purchase at Summit etc.. They are suppose to reduce the "banging"

had to upload pictures, excel will not load

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 430
  • Slide2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 405
On the pinion bearing issue. I just rebuilt a D60 in a 99 Excursion and the bearing kit that was ordered had all the right parts with the exception of the inner bearing and race. And as you stated the one I removed had longer taper rollers than the one in the kit. Upon contacting our NAPA dealer he discovered that non Super Duty used the bearing numbers that I removed so he sent us those. And yes there was a difference in the two bearing/races when miced them. Food for thought.

-
Back