DANGEROUS PRODUCT = Moog Ball Joints

-
Feb 24th
Sue from Mi Bearings sold me lower Ball joints XRF K7023 and XRF K7021 listed as Disk/Drum. i though myself fortunate until i opened tried to install them this weekend. They got a quick glance when they came and the numbers matched the Moog set I had. Sent an email and will have to wait for a work day for a response. I have had good experience with them in the past so we will see.

So when you opened the XRF lower ball joints the casting numbers and physical features matched the MOOG ones you have??

There's a good chance some of the Moog parts that are problematic may be cheap knock-offs. I've been using Moog stuff for 50 years and have never had a problem. I have used Moog screw in ball joints in the dirt cars I own without issue and they are pretty much the 'go-to' brand in oval track racing (except if you run the low-friction style joints which are pretty popular).

Just one man's opinion..

So when you opened the XRF lower ball joints the casting numbers and physical features matched the MOOG ones you have??
No not the casting numbers..just the main part numbers. Until i removed the one from the car I did not notice the difference.
DSCN0676.JPG
DSCN0677.JPG

No not the casting numbers..just the main part numbers. Until i removed the one from the car I did not notice the difference. View attachment 1715041152 View attachment 1715041153
Maybe it was boxed wrong. Which one was off the car, and which one was out of which box. They both look very clean. I can take pix of my k783 and k781 lowers, and hold a tape measure up. Maybe what you have is for a 73 up disc brake car mis boxed. If both lowers are mis boxed and are XRF k783 and XRF k781 i would be interested in them. I am collecting up parts now for my sons 69 notchback. Its getting dippy discs. I need 73-76 A body lower ball joints.

Heres the XRF K783 i have for disc brake cars from 73-76. The tape measure is centered on the front mounting hole. Its approx 8&1/2" at the center of the tie rod end hole.

20170423_145927.jpg

It's typical for other brands to shares the Moog numbers.

Those are different castings.

Yup. Just likes it's typical for other filter brands to use Fram numbers.

Sharing a part number for cataloging is nothing new. Usually the prefix numbering is different.

Ever figure out which XRF lower joint you have ??
had to mail them back to MI Bearings. Mounting holes were for the 1/2" bolts and no casting numbers on them. one had a number close to the zerk fitting hole that said XRF k14.... that crosses over to an IDLER ARM! so I have no clue.
Sue emailed back and said the disk LBJ's were still available and would have to send them to the factory to confirm the mislabeling or whatever.

As good a joint as these lowers are according to reviews its a shame there wasnt a larger useage shown for these. If there was a large enough call for them, they probavly would have kept making them. The uppers will prob be around for a longer time as they have a larger application and fit FMJ,'s, pickups, and vans.

I have had similar problems with Moog "problem solver" sway bay links on my 08 Dakota,although the manufactuer has covered them under warranty, and sent me replacements, I am kinda sick of replacing these every 3-3 months. Time to use a different brand, I guess...

I'm going through the same problem with the XRFs to, but bought from a different company.

Jeff

Supposedly a lot of their stuff is from....you guessed it...China.
And Malaysia. I think you'd be wasting your time with a complaint. They moved their manufacturing to squeeze out more profit, and they don't really care what we think. I'd go with PST. He is a FABO sponsor, and regardless of the origination of their parts, I feel comfortable that they don't sell junk. That's who I am using.

I'm skeptical that these off brand parts are just repackaged China stuff.

Not too hard to private label this stuff.

You don't hear about complaints, since they are: newer to the market, smaller product line, and have less market share.

Less parts sold = less complaints.

Last edited:
-
Back