DANGEROUS PRODUCT = Moog Ball Joints

-
What moog and others fail to realize is they are being penny wise and dollar foolish. Bad publicity travels fast and is very hard to shake.

Unfortunately that's how they run businesses these days.

Unfortunately that's how they run businesses these days.

Well then i guess they lost my business, and everyone else i can inform about their shoddy made products. From all i have heard about XRF quality, they now have my business.

Sounds like xrf might stand the same odds of being CCT....(Cheap Chinese Trash)

Guess you didnt read my prior post about XRF. I dunno about you but another FABO member and i about 2 years ago were discussing XRF ball joints prior to my purcase of them, and about the time fabo members were discussing moog quality going rapidly down hill. He said they installed a set of XRF joints in an F350 that had about worn out stock joints at 50K on the clock that is used in a primarily offroad situation. This truck had an additional 150K put on the clock after that and the XRF joints were still tight. I asked him why i had not heard about this brand before. He said thats because XRF sells only to repair shops and service garages, and does not sell to auto parts chains. I could not find one place online in the U.S. that was willing to sell em direct retail to me unless i had a tax I.D. number. Except for one place i shared with y'all in my first post.

Its not where the parts are made thats the problem, its the specification they are made to , along with quality control of the assembly line or lack of thats the problem.

XRF stated their products are made all over the world but inly in factories that are willing to make the parts to XRF material and dimensional specifications. XRF also states pieces are pulled at random off all their assembly lines to be tested and inspected to make sure the quality stays to their expectations.

Now i dunno about the rest of you, however if it came down your only choices being a ball joint made in china to a high specification with high quality materials , VS a low quality ball joint made in china to questionable specifications , i think i would be going with the high quality ball joint first.

Which would you choose ??

Sounds like xrf might stand the same odds of being CCT....(Cheap Chinese Trash)

I would be willing to bet they were made in the USA. That kind of thows a wrench into all the arguments here doesn't it?

For what it's worth, both boxes have the "Made in USA" text on them. There is no other information regarding this other than the text on the end of the box.

I fitted the XRF lower ball joints yesterday, will grease them up today and do a driveway alignment. They went together as expected, the ball stud could be moved in the socket by hand and there was no freeplay detected. The rubber boots came already mounted on the ball studs.

It may be possible that XRF is now made in the USA or even that they have another plant in Canada as well. I do remember the rep saying they were made In Canada, but that was like 15 years ago. So for the hell of it I just went out to garage and looked at the ball joint and sure enough it had "Made in the USA" etched in the side of it. Regardless of where it's made the XRF's are a far superior product. I witnessed the better quality in person with my own eyes and experience.

Matt, are these the correct part #s then for the 67-69 Barracudas? I have a 67 and want to order some but they don't list what they actually fit.

Thanks!

-Doug

Hi doug,

What i found is that the XRF PN is actually the same PN as moog PN except it has the the prefix "XRF", a space, then the moog PN.

I believe the numbers are correct for these which are the LH and RH A body lower ball joints. I believe. But could be mistaken that these are the same for all A bodies from 1963 to 1976. I would check mine, but everything is boxed up and sitting in the storage loft above my shop until i get ready to reassemble the front end. Plus mine is a frankenstein of sorts. My setup is 74 A body spindles , cordoba big brakes, tubular uppers from dillinger, and boxed 74 valiant lowers with factory sway bar tabs. So i went with uppers and lowers that would work with 1974 spindles and 1974 lower and upper arms.

The upper ball joints definitely were different. Smaller joint from 63 to 72, then went to the larger B and E body upper ball joint from 73 to 76.

I suggest you do some online research thru maybe rock auto to get the moog PN , then go to www.mibearings.com add the XRF prefix followed by a space, then the moog PN.

Hope this helps
Matt

Man, I must be lucky so far. I just rebuilt my suspension last winter and bought all Moog stuff. The joints where nice and tight. After reading thru this, I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks Matt, that makes sense!

Doug,

I just looked into rock auto. The lowers are different.

Far as i can tell 67 to 72 A body is

XRF K785
XRF K787

73 to 76 disc brake A body is

XRF K781
XRF K783

Please dont go by my numbers though. Check them for yourself ok.

Matt

Man, I must be lucky so far. I just rebuilt my suspension last winter and bought all Moog stuff. The joints where nice and tight. After reading thru this, I'll keep an eye on them.

For the most part, I think they are. I have had a piece or two pretty sloppy out of the box, I could easily move them around in my hand. Of course it's been a while since replacing anything on a vehicle.

I'm going to do a complete rebuild on mine, I already bought a complete kit from PST, and they seem pretty decent quality, and they aren't made in China, overseas yes, China no.

XRF also carries A.body stock length idler arms, pitman arms, and tierod ends. I wanted longer C body arms, which they do not carry. So i had to go with PST. They do carry the 9/16" tierod ends and the larger 11/16 tierod ends.

Again use the moog part number with the prefix XRF a space, then the moog part number. That should get you what you need. I looked up the moog numbers in rockauto, then went to www.mibearings.com for the XRF parts.

Hope this helps
Matt

Doug,

I just looked into rock auto. The lowers are different.

Far as i can tell 67 to 72 A body is

XRF K785
XRF K787

73 to 76 disc brake A body is

XRF K781
XRF K783

Please dont go by my numbers though. Check them for yourself ok.

Matt

Just wanted to say thanks for posting that info, Matt!

Wow last time i posted on this thread was sept 1st 2015. Doug, did you get the XRF parts?
Not yet but I am ready to rebuild my front suspension shortly now. New K-member, reinforced, disc brakes, etc. I have the whole K-member assembly out of the car right now and I was looking up info and came back across this thread, which helped!
Kmember.jpg

Not yet but I am ready to rebuild my front suspension shortly now. New K-member, reinforced, disc brakes, etc. I have the whole K-member assembly out of the car right now and I was looking up info and came back across this thread, which helped!
View attachment 1715020577

Doug, you better get going on that, only 2 months until showtime lol!! looking nice by the way, that thing is pretty clean!

As far as the XRF Lower Ball Joints for 67-72 A body goes, MIbearings.com no longer stocks them and they called XRF today, who said they no longer plan to make them.
I am however ordering the rest of my steering parts from them today.
Hoping I can find some good lowers for my car and avoid the Moogs! Maybe Raybestos???

Below is a copy of their reply to me:

Hi Doug,
So sorry we do not have your ball joints in stock.
Just talked with XRF and they will not be getting anymore in at this time. Please let us know if we can help you further.
Thank you.
Sue/MIBearings.com

yea thats what i was looking for.. when i went to order last night it said one was back ordered..

Problem Maker ball joints on my Dakota R/T lasted 20,000 miles a set! Made in China, might as well buy Chinese ones for half the price of Moog.

As far as the XRF Lower Ball Joints for 67-72 A body goes, MIbearings.com no longer stocks them and they called XRF today, who said they no longer plan to make them.
I am however ordering the rest of my steering parts from them today.
Hoping I can find some good lowers for my car and avoid the Moogs! Maybe Raybestos???

Below is a copy of their reply to me:

Hi Doug,
So sorry we do not have your ball joints in stock.
Just talked with XRF and they will not be getting anymore in at this time. Please let us know if we can help you further.
Thank you.
Sue/MIBearings.com

Feb 24th
Sue from Mi Bearings sold me lower Ball joints XRF K7023 and XRF K7021 listed as Disk/Drum. i though myself fortunate until i opened tried to install them this weekend. They got a quick glance when they came and the numbers matched the Moog set I had. Sent an email and will have to wait for a work day for a response. I have had good experience with them in the past so we will see.

-
Back