Dart Headliner Installation Tech Help... Please!

-

neilskiw

Reaction score
For my '70 Dart Swinger, 5 bow headliner...

Do I need to remove both the windshield and the rear window?

Can I get by without removing the rear window?

Are there any special how to videos?

Special words of wisdom? Vital information? Hostile insults?

Thanks to all!

The upholstery guy that did my headliner said that he could have done it with the windows still in. My windows just happened to be out at the time because of recently being painted.

There are tools to install a headlinner with the windows in but either way its not a job for the novice . If you do finish the first one you'll never attempt another.

My windshield just happens to be broken...
The car was a cream puff, owned by an old couple...
Then a teenage girl beat me to it, wasted the left rear...
Let her boyfriend use it, he took out the right front...
Alas... now it is a big project, with no bottom line in sight.

No do not remove the windows.I have done 4 69 Darts in the past and yours is the same as mine.what i do is remove all trim,and mirrow.take a sharp knife and cut the old liner out leave the bows in place once the liner is out remove the bowes do not mix them up start from the rear and number them.You will see under the winsheilds rubber gasket there is sharp pins that the liner hooks to.When your ready to install slide the bows in the liner i like to install the middle one first then start the rear one next they just pop right into there channell.Hook your liner at the rear leave some liner as to trim laiter then start pulling as you install the bowes forward this is now streatching once you got all the bowes in and tight pull the front liner in the middle and hook it under the rubber gasket you will see thoes pins under the gasket then start pulling the liner at the front moveing from left of center and to the right of center and hook it ,once you have it tight you can start on the sides you will want to glue this area contack cement is what i use.It sounds easy when you have done 10 cars.There are step by step instructions on the net as well.Good luck.Tip after you done and ther could be some wrinkels in her just mist it with water to help in shrinkege.

Factory manual says nothing about removing windows. PM me with your address and i will mail you copies of the shop manual.

I did mine in an afternoon. Not too bad at all. I have the so called tool for
hooking on the teeth, but to be honest a decent putty knife would work well
also. I have contact cement and the tool left over from my job you are
welcome borrow.

Here is a good wright up on how to install a headliner. http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

I put the one in my 70 Dart it was not to hard. Just take your time and be pashent. Try to do it on a hot day so the headliner will stretch easeyer. You can install it with all the glass still in the car. I used a paint stiring stick to hook the teeth over the barbs.

Good luck.

Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom!

Sounds like a project I can tackle... I own a cresent wrench.

Is there any particular member/source i should patronize, to purchase the headliner?

Be sure to use the two rear loop hooks that are attached to the rear roof inside brace. These are there to keep the headliner tight to the rear as you pull forward working your way to the front. They have a small loop on the ends that hooks around the rear bow to keep things pulled tight. You can get by without using them but they are there to help hold the headliner in place at the rear window.

Side note here, anybody know how doable it is if you have a cage welded in the car? 6 or 8 point cage that is.

For my '70 Dart Swinger, 5 bow headliner...

Do I need to remove both the windshield and the rear window?

Can I get by without removing the rear window?

Are there any special how to videos?

Special words of wisdom? Vital information? Hostile insults?

Thanks to all!

Wear a hat! Bring garbage bags, shop vac. Old insulation nasty!!
Keep track of location of each bow rod.
Can do with windows in, just have a large bondo plastic blade ready for tucking.
Better to partially install in cool weather better for you but needs to be warm for final streatch.
I have only done 1 in ABodyBetty's 67. I still have to drop the sides again and trim back the "socks" that the bows slide into, so it can stretch further to sides to remove wrinkles. Not bad, Still driving it & showing!!
Good Luck!!
Might need to order new headliner insulation. I cheated & used pink panther from lowes leftovers, but do not recommend use in autos. In the long run it promotes rust if not vented. I peeled the paper off first. (very low budget but looks good!

The guy that is going to do my headliner told me that the window can stay in if you have inside trim around the windows The metal or plastic trim that is removeable.

Dave

-
Back