Dart Sport Torsion Bar Diameter

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 74 Dart Sport is a very low optioned 198, 3-on-the-tree. From the chart referenced here: identify these torsion bars please
I would think it has .830 t-bars. It has .850. The car doesn't have a/c. I guess they could've been swapped out over the years, but the car was very original when I got it.

I'm wondering if cars with the stupid crash bumpers, which weighed a ton, maybe got the .850's? The front was 62#, the rear 82#! (with all brackets and hardware)

As an aside, I now have a 360 with a 727. Also, I now have fiberglass fenders, hood and bumpers (w/ aluminum brackets). I actually had to lower the front after I swapped all of this stuff.

I have never seen .830 bars on a car, even an early A. Some .850, but mostly .870 for cars with PS and AC. I parted a couple loaded slant cars from 74-75 and both had .870 bars. I suspect as the car weight exploded over the years the smaller bars went away. Unless you primarily use the car for drag racing, larger bars will make a vast improvement.

I have never seen .830 bars on a car, even an early A. Some .850, but mostly .870 for cars with PS and AC. I parted a couple loaded slant cars from 74-75 and both had .870 bars. I suspect as the car weight exploded over the years the smaller bars went away. Unless you primarily use the car for drag racing, larger bars will make a vast improvement.
I agree, the weight did explode. A shame.
It's a street/ mostly strip car. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the .810 bars, that I hear are now only available used.

I've only seen the .83's on the '60-72 A-bodies with a slant 6. '73 started the .85's. Never seen or heard of a stock .81.

Oh sure, aftermarket you can get just about anything. I was referring to stock bars.

Every early-A slanty, even GT's had .830" bars, the factory paint makes them mic larger than they are. The stock bars on the '69 Custom were .830" as well. 'Teener's without AC got .850"'s, later Slant cars were heavier, and came with the same..a '76 4dr non-AC Slanty Dart with discs I parted had them. 340/360 & 318/AC cars were .870", the Big-Block A bars were .890". Those .810" bars were DC/MP only, to the best of My knowledge, happy hunting for those!!! I left the .830"ers in the '69 when I put the cammed 'teener/4spd in it, wound 'em up, sat & launched fine.

I agree, the weight did explode. A shame.
It's a street/ mostly strip car. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the .810 bars, that I hear are now only available used.
I got my.810s from the dealership, but it’s definitely been a few years, I’m in the process of switching to coil overs, the bars are still working, but they have been on the car a long time, the driver side adjuster is turned in a lot farther than the passenger side, but I run a lot of wedge in the rear, I weigh app 725 on each front wheel, and they have probably close to a thousand wheelstands on them, if you’re interested let me know.

-
Back