Dartin for Divorce

-
I've been told that us older guys can't bring the mullet back; it has to be fashionable with the youth (my wife told me that before I cut my hair).

Offered to clean the dishes... wife said dont even think about it...

FB_IMG_1604950394469.jpg

Doc your doing it wrong you say nothing ! Organise a massage or facial for her to get her out the place for an hour or so once she leaves load the dish washer with parts and let it rip . Cycle should be finished before she arrives back. Make sure to run a cycle with white vinegar to get rid of the oil residue and she wouldn’t know any better.

I have run parts thru the dishwasher. But only as a final cleaning. It works great. But, you really have to degrease them first. The oily black stuff will screw up the inside of a dishwasher, and be really hard to clean up.

I have run parts thru the dishwasher. But only as a final cleaning. It works great. But, you really have to degrease them first. The oily black stuff will screw up the inside of a dishwasher, and be really hard to clean up.

I will make sure I remember this if I ever have to run any parts through the dishwasher!

Just for giggles what car parts did you run though the dishwasher?!

Doc your doing it wrong you say nothing ! Organise a massage or facial for her to get her out the place for an hour or so once she leaves load the dish washer with parts and let it rip . Cycle should be finished before she arrives back. Make sure to run a cycle with white vinegar to get rid of the oil residue and she wouldn’t know any better.

My wife was excited when I told her about the massage, manicure etc up until the point of me saying so I could run things through the dishwasher... lol

So I'm undecided on what project I should start on the car next....

My car pulls to the right when I drive it, I need to get an alignment I know that but the only place I've had recommended to me for old cars works by appointment only. I won't be able to take the car there until mid December because my schedule.

I'm going to measure the tie rods and hopefully get the car as close as possible to driving straight until I can get it a proper alignment.

I will make sure I remember this if I ever have to run any parts through the dishwasher!

Just for giggles what car parts did you run though the dishwasher?!
Valve covers and intake manifold. But they were pre-cleaned. The wash was to get any small amounts of oil off prior to painting. I did notice a little black stuff inside the washer, but I ran it again with some extra detergent and after that it was all gone. No smell, so stains. It was probably no worse than running some real greasy, dirty dished thru it anyway.

HERE'S a bunch of threads to start with. personally i like toe plates. they're symmetrical and not too much $$. shop around
81jtU6QK5qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

combined with a bubble gauge. this one works good on mopar spindles
61pxJME+oNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

and for turn plates i use two pieces of scrap plexiglass (per side) with some oil between them. like most people i don't have a perfectly flat place to do this, but i've found the flattest, levelest place i can in my garage. when i put the plates down i mark the outline in chalk in case they move. i'm able to slide under my car with it on the ground, and make adjustments so i don't need to worry about re-setting the car after jacking it up to adjust the upper arms. there's a lot more info but this stuff will get you started

HERE'S a bunch of threads to start with. personally i like toe plates. they're symmetrical and not too much $$. shop around
View attachment 1715629786

combined with a bubble gauge. this one works good on mopar spindles
View attachment 1715629787

and for turn plates i use two pieces of scrap plexiglass (per side) with some oil between them. like most people i don't have a perfectly flat place to do this, but i've found the flattest, levelest place i can in my garage. when i put the plates down i mark the outline in chalk in case they move. i'm able to slide under my car with it on the ground, and make adjustments so i don't need to worry about re-setting the car after jacking it up to adjust the upper arms. there's a lot more info but this stuff will get you started

I've been reading some of these threads, I just don't understand adjusting the cam bolt all the way out vs all the way in... do I just loosen the bolt and pull the control arm? Or do I turn the cam bolt a certain way? Etc.

autoxcuda.jpg

moog7103installinstructions-jpg.jpg

I've been reading some of these threads, I just don't understand adjusting the cam bolt all the way out vs all the way in... do I just loosen the bolt and pull the control arm? Or do I turn the cam bolt a certain way? Etc.
think about the cam bolt when it's installed. you loosen the nut enough to turn the bolt. as you turn the bolt the cams, that are riding in the little pieces of angle, pull or push the arm in or out, because the bolt "holes" are actually slots. if you move the front and rear out of sync, you move the ball joint forward or backward relative to it's centerline
unnamed.jpg

think about the cam bolt when it's installed. you loosen the nut enough to turn the bolt. as you turn the bolt the cams, that are riding in the little pieces of angle, pull or push the arm in or out, because the bolt "holes" are actually slots. if you move the front and rear out of sync, you move the ball joint forward or backward relative to it's centerline
View attachment 1715629795

That kind of makes sense. Do I adjust them with the wheels on the car still or do I take the wheels off? Maybe I can adjust everything enough so the car doesn't pull so hard to the right.

That kind of makes sense. Do I adjust them with the wheels on the car still or do I take the wheels off? Maybe I can adjust everything enough so the car doesn't pull so hard to the right.

It's best to start with the car at rest and take your baseline measurements. If the car pulls, there's a few things which can cause it including heavily cambered roads. The roads in Vegas are built for maximum drainage and so there's lots of camber in the road (road isn't flat).

Once you know where you're starting from, you can think about how you're going to correct the alignment to better settings.

If you move both cam bolts the same amount, you're mostly only affecting the camber of the tire. If you adjust the front or rear cam bolts independently, you're going to mostly change caster.

Typically you want maximum caster and your camber should be between 0 and 1-2 degrees. If you don't like buying new tires, somewhere between 0-1 degree is better.

The toe will change how the car wants to steer. Floaty, or super sensitive (which can make it want to dart around). You probably don't need to change the toe much if you can drive it one handed right now.

Lastly, you have thrust angle which can definitely alter if the car is pulling. The fix is to add or remove shims to the rear leafspring mounts to adjust how perpendicular your rear end is to the center of the car.

Doing this right requires lots of careful measurement so that you can find and fix what's at fault. Don't go changing stuff before getting good initial measurements. Also get some grease pencils so you can mark your starting points and be able to judge how much change you're dialing in.

you need to do it with the wheels on and the weight of the car on them. if you use a jack to get access to the camber bolts you need to re-settle the car after. some people just bounce it by pushing on the fender, some roll it back and forward a few feet, off and on the turn plates.

View attachment 1715629795

I thought about it some more and it didn't make sense... I then proceeded to mess around with them and while I did that I physically saw the control arms move and at that point it all made sense...

Front drives side looks much better now! I actually think it raised the car a little as well.

I bought a couple new guns and the shop just called and said they are ready for me to pick up... I'm going to take the dart and see how it drives now.

20201114_102117.jpg

20201114_102134.jpg

I thought about it some more and it didn't make sense... I then proceeded to mess around with them and while I did that I physically saw the control arms move and at that point it all made sense...
:thumbsup: when in doubt turn the wrench. keep an eye on the tire wear, looks a little cambered out, but had to tell from the pics...
you did re-tighten the nuts, right? :lol:

:thumbsup: when in doubt turn the wrench. keep an eye on the tire wear, looks a little cambered out, but had to tell from the pics...
you did re-tighten the nuts, right? :lol:

Exactly, turn the wrench and find out how to move it....

I did retighten the nuts, i had to lengthen the passenger side tie rod. The car drives 100x better, doesn't have a constant hard pull to the passenger side, just a very slight touch. My steering wheel is slightly off center too but I not to bad.

I just wanted it to be better until I could get it it into the alignment shop next month.

I dont know what it is but everytime I jack my car up in the front it messes with my brake line pressure.

I'm going to have to bleed them again, one of my brakes is sticking

Does your wife shoot? Those compacts bite me every time.

Yes she shoots, just not very often... she actually is a really good shot too, its just she doesn't go out that much. Last time I took her she was showing me up with one of my rifles, not cool babe... not cool... I blame it on having an off day. Lol

The compacts definitely are a lot trickier to shoot, the 320 compact isn't to compact, its kind of middle of the road between full size and compact. I got the 365xl to conceal carry better to always be safe.

-
Back