Dartin for Divorce

-
Paint it the way you want it because you look at it more than anyone else. Looks so much better than when you started so keep up the good work.

Getting there. Ac condensor, trans cooler, rods, rockers, headers, carb all installed.

Tonight I'll put on the ac unit which I cleaned and painted and the radiator. I need some longer valve cover bolts is pretty much the only things holding those up.

Also that damn bolt in the alternator is still being a pain in the ***. Tomorrow in will have to go to the auto store to retap the hole.

20200402_204952.jpg

20200402_205000.jpg

20200402_205013.jpg

Making progress.......

i will run by the garage in the morning...i had a set of new bolts for those valve covers....as I never use bolts...just studs....will text you in morning if I find them.....

Whys the long bolt in that hole? Just trying to clean up the threads?

Well I tried getting the screw out with a little drill bit, then self tapping screw, then larger drill bit and no go all around. I got to the threads with a slightly larger bit and was trying to use a longer bolt to essentially clean the threads back up but it was a no go.

I'm actually thinking of painting the alternator a glittery sparkly silver though :lol:

Ah, gotcha!

You can take a spare bolt and file or grind flats on a couple or more sides and use it like a tap or thread chaser.

In a pinch, use a hammer to flatten one or two places (but don't expect the threads to last past the next disassembly).

Ah, gotcha!

You can take a spare bolt and file or grind flats on a couple or more sides and use it like a tap or thread chaser.

In a pinch, use a hammer to flatten one or two places (but don't expect the threads to last past the next disassembly).

The problem is having it 1 side in the hole shows the threads and the other side still is smooth and flush due to old screw still being in there. I just dont want to go up another drill bit size and risk blowing the entire hole out and having to go to a larger bolt size.

The problem is having it 1 side in the hole shows the threads and the other side still is smooth and flush due to old screw still being in there. I just dont want to go up another drill bit size and risk blowing the entire hole out and having to go to a larger bolt size.

That's definitely a challenge. Have you got a couple picks to try and spin out the remnant? A tap may just catch and drive the left over bit further into the hole.. Don't want to damage those windings.

That's definitely a challenge. Have you got a couple picks to try and spin out the remnant? A tap may just catch and drive the left over bit further into the hole.. Don't want to damage those windings.

I've been using an itty bitty flat head and just have not had any luck getting it out with that yet. I'll try it a little more after I get the ac bolted up. Sucks putting this thing back in as it's not even working anyways :BangHead:

I've been using an itty bitty flat head and just have not had any luck getting it out with that yet. I'll try it a little more after I get the ac bolted up. Sucks putting this thing back in as it's not even working anyways :BangHead:

LOL, then why bother? Use it for a core and get a new one. They're cheap (ish)!

Idk if anyone has had to mess with all the little brackets and trinkets for the ac/ps assembly but... FYI they royally suck!

20200403_001329.jpg

Bolt removal can be a real pain.
A dremel, small straight burr.
Gently grind away the offending part. I usually use a ball shaped burr, and grind away until i see the thread points start to appear.
Many times just relieving pressure is enough to get it to release.

Well my compressor works, and the clutch on the compressor. It just doesn't blow cold air lol

LOL, I misunderstood and thought you meant the alternator. Yeah, that makes more sense. I have a burning hatred for A/C - it died in my 2008 daily driver within a few years of purchase and several attempts to fix it have resulted in it failing spectacularly within days so I've just given up on it. That compressor is the most expensive idler pulley ever..

Alternator is fixed and bolted up properly with the brackets. I've been fighting with that damn drivers side header, ita 100% tight now though. New orings installed on the Ac hose ends, new mechanical thermostat installed. All the little things dang.

I'm having trouble with how to hook up my carbs vacuum advance. It used to be plumbed into my valve cover then go into the middle port of the carb. Now my new valve covers dont have that port, so I have to figure out what to do.

20200403_153651.jpg

20200403_153855.jpg

20200403_153553.jpg

That's not your vacuum advance, its for your pcv valve.
Get in sit down and hold on, because you are in for some more fun. :)

Some valve covers have knock outs, I believe the MP covers you have to drill out. Then find the right size grommet, and pcv valve. Have fun with that. :)
Those factory valve covers are looking better every second. :)

That's not your vacuum advance, its for your pcv valve.
Get in sit down and hold on, because you are in for some more fun. :)

Yes I read the carb manual and figured that out lol. Vacuum advance comes from the distributor

What more fun am I in for? Lol. I'm looking for a breather cap with a pcv port on it now I feel like it's so close to being able to start up and hopefully not blow up :steering:

One valve cover should have a breather and one should have the pcv.
Pcv is important, it's not an emissions peice. I think you typically have to drill a hole or knock out a slug on each of those valve covers to install one. Unless that fill cap is just push in?

Some valve covers have knock outs, I believe the MP covers you have to drill out. Then find the right size grommet, and pcv valve. Have fun with that. :)

They are already drilled out, just need a cap :thumbsup:

I was actually worried about having to drill the hole out. I dont want to break anything else lol

Yes I read the carb manual and figured that out lol. Vacuum advance comes from the distributor

What more fun am I in for? Lol. I'm looking for a breather cap with a pcv port on it now I feel like it's so close to being able to start up and hopefully not blow up :steering:

I would tell you, but unfortunately you wouldn't listen.
:BangHead: I got to stay off your posts.
PS: Those are for a breather and oil cap.

Go back to post 1300 and you'll see in the pics of other engines you posted, typically there's a pcv on one cover and a breather in the other. The oil filler is in addition to those two ports so I think you need to drill your cover that has the fill cap..

-
Back