Dartin for Divorce

-
You have a bad my friend! Stroker motors, high stall converters etc. I realize that all of those parts sound sexy and look cool on you build sheet breakdown. Honestly, how quick would you like this car to be?

Fast enough to get away from my wife when shes mad at me...

I do believe he truly understands being in the rabbit hole which has no bottom

Rabbit hole games... this is fun. I like doing things. Truly I dont think these cars ever are "finished"

bucket.jpeg.jpg

So I messed with it again today. Tony had an emergency come up which is ok because i had a nap i was in need of and i have an exam tomorrow morning. I tried driving the car but still does the same thing. It stutters and doesn't really want to get moving. I was able to get it turned around in the garage though which makes it easier to work on. Still weird that there is no problem with reverse.

I saw a slight bend in the throttle cable so I straightened it out a little and adjusted the angle of the throttle cable so it would pull in at a straighter angle.

Then I made the cable to the ignition coil fit better to make sure that wasnt contributing to the problem.

The only things I can think of is a timing problem or spark problem. Checked timing at idle, seems to be at 11 but also my idle is at 800. Which is 100 less idle than we had it at.

Maybe I should go back to champion plugs and see if that will help...

20200415_185931.jpg

20200415_194552.jpg

Probably a stretch, but if it works in reverse, maybe it's a fuel delivery issue. Going forward inertia forces liquids to the rear, while in reverse, the fuel will "slosh" towards the front.

Probably a stretch, but if it works in reverse, maybe it's a fuel delivery issue. Going forward inertia forces liquids to the rear, while in reverse, the fuel will "slosh" towards the front.

I have 1/2 tank according to my guage, and I can rev the snot out of it in park and neutral. The dog just doesn't want to drive forwards haha.

Does it act normal in reverse? When you are going forward, are you running it in drive? Have you tried pulling in into 1st/2nd? When moving forward, are the rpm's increasing but not forward motion? Or does the engine not want to rev?

Does it act normal in reverse? When you are going forward, are you running it in drive? Have you tried pulling in into 1st/2nd? When moving forward, are the rpm's increasing but not forward motion? Or does the engine not want to rev?

Acts normal in reverse. Running it in drive acts the same as when in 1st and 2nd. It stutters the. When in drive once it starts moving it gets a little smoother but wont shift into 2nd. It's either a timing problem or adjustment problem imo, vacuum could be it but I dont see how if vacuum is plugged at the distributor and the carb. I'll adjust it a little more here in a bit, I just finished my last final exam of the semester.

Or it is a transmission problem and means I get to get a new tranny, and not the kind of tranny that has a bigger stick than me :poke::lol: this is probably the most illogical problem because the trans was working perfectly when I took it apart.

Leaning towards trans. The engine seems fine. Doesn't seem that anything spooky is happening there. The fact that is starts, idles and will rev out of gear, and it acts the same in reverse pushes me towards the trans. I would retrace all of my steps...again.. Have you put it on jackstands and run it through the gears?

My vac is plugged at the distributor. Where else would I get a vac leak from? Ugh its frustrating

when you have things taken apart like you had it is easy to end up with a vacuum leak, adjusting timing and fast idle can hide it , just recheck ALL vacuum lines, not just visually but actually feel them to make sure none are loose, brittle, or otherwise, remember there is some movement of the engine, etc. when you put the car in gear and try to drive so see also if there is anything that could be affected by movement. your manifold and carb base could also be a source if they didn't seal properly. Since you changed your PCV setup recheck it as well - just because you didn't touch a line before doesn't mean something didn't happen during the work - if you have a stethoscope it could be helpful because it kills a lot of the background noise. I have had vacuum issues in my past and they would kick my but, then I would find something that really seemed obvious. As far as the transmission, if it is the adjustment hopefully you get the exact issue, it could help me not have to endure the same pain

good luck

Justin, have your helpers(wife or child) step on gas pedal while you look at lever on transmission to see if it’s moving. I think it’s a adjustment issue of throttle valve cable with transmission.

Doc I would disconnect the kick down from the carb linkage remove air cleaner get someone to push the throttle pedal down make sure your butterflies are opening, make adjustments if needed than get your helper push down on the throttle pedal again and pull with your hand kick down cable to see if cable needs ( kick down ) meets the ball where it attaches on. By your picks you have added your throttle cable looks too short ,not enough travel.

There is nothing WRONG with the engine...There are no Vacuum leaks....The engine idles beautifully...We set the intial timing at 16 degrees with Total being at 34 degrees....We disconnected the throttle pressure cable...then the will barely move in gear...with the TPC hooked up...it will move in 1st gear but slipping and will not shift into 2nd...plus there is a shutter in the trans .....

We did not touch the trans went changing out the camshaft...he did not change the TPC either.....

good to know, somethings changed though since that

So I messed with it again today. Tony had an emergency come up which is ok because i had a nap i was in need of and i have an exam tomorrow morning. I tried driving the car but still does the same thing. It stutters and doesn't really want to get moving. I was able to get it turned around in the garage though which makes it easier to work on. Still weird that there is no problem with reverse.

I saw a slight bend in the throttle cable so I straightened it out a little and adjusted the angle of the throttle cable so it would pull in at a straighter angle.

Then I made the cable to the ignition coil fit better to make sure that wasnt contributing to the problem.

The only things I can think of is a timing problem or spark problem. Checked timing at idle, seems to be at 11 but also my idle is at 800. Which is 100 less idle than we had it at.

Maybe I should go back to champion plugs and see if that will help...

billsdartgt...I just got home from the dentist house....we did what i said we did....you quoted his response from yesterday or before....so you can read it again....lol

here is nothing WRONG with the engine...There are no Vacuum leaks....The engine idles beautifully...We set the intial timing at 16 degrees with Total being at 34 degrees....We disconnected the throttle pressure cable...then the will barely move in gear...with the TPC hooked up...it will move in 1st gear but slipping and will not shift into 2nd...plus there is a shutter in the trans .....

We did not touch the trans went changing out the camshaft...he did not change the TPC either.....

billsdartgt...I just got home from the dentist house....we did what i said we did....you quoted his response from yesterday or before....so you can read it again....lol

here is nothing WRONG with the engine...There are no Vacuum leaks....The engine idles beautifully...We set the intial timing at 16 degrees with Total being at 34 degrees....We disconnected the throttle pressure cable...then the will barely move in gear...with the TPC hooked up...it will move in 1st gear but slipping and will not shift into 2nd...plus there is a shutter in the trans .....

All good info, Im particularly interested in this issue since Im getting closer to getting mine back together - keep us updated and hopefully it gets ironed out soon - always a possibility something just happened coincidentally - maybe he cursed himself since he wants that 727 installed.

I've messed with the kickdown a little more, it hasn't gotten much better. I made sure it looked just like it did in the picture from when I took it apart; the kickdown cable wasnt super tight so I tried to emulate that. Hooked up the vacuum from the distributor to the carb to see if that was doing anything and no change. I also

I'll put it on Jack stands and see if the kickdown linkage is moving on the transmission and the carb when the gas pedal is pressed tomorrow. I'm done for tonight I smoked some steaks and now I'm just hanging with the family in the backyard with the perfect weather.

1st picture how linkage originally looked before disconnecting it.

2nd picture- trying to get the slack to look the exact same as before it was taken apart. (It looks tight but the slack pulls out to almost the same exact arch)

3red picture- beautiful views.

20200322_120022.jpg

20200416_190331.jpg

20200416_185018.jpg

All good info, Im particularly interested in this issue since Im getting closer to getting mine back together - keep us updated and hopefully it gets ironed out soon - always a possibility something just happened coincidentally - maybe he cursed himself since he wants that 727 installed.

That's what we were thinking that maybe something did happen to the trans but I have no idea how that could have happened. I'll probably stick with the 904 too. I could sell the 727, save on not shortening the driveshaft/not needing a new trans slip yoke and use that money on a converter.

You dont let me go play in the backyard.....

Next time, I'll set up the slip and slide just for you!

do you have a service manual? at least go through the transmission symptom list. also make sure the rear brakes aren't all but locked up

-
Back