Dartin for Divorce

-
your cam swap sure went to hell, about like me gonna change a few leaking freeze plugs and strut rod bushings

I know right! I can't seem to make it out of the top of the rabbit hole. I'm definitely trying to though.

I figure ill do this line and use my bracket to make the lines parallel and easier to get the 1 to 1 adjustment.

I was also looking over the tf2 instructions and think I may open the trans and make sure I adjusted the bands properly. I actually think we did 1 more of each turn with each of the bands than the tf2 instructions say to do.

I really do just want it to end though.

20200511_165848.jpg

Did you by chance adjust line pressure on the valve body?

It works backwards. Screwing it in decreases pressure and out increases pressure. A decrease in line pressure could cause your new issues.

I should add the setting is .625.

Did you by chance adjust line pressure on the valve body?

It works backwards. Screwing it in decreases pressure and out increases pressure. A decrease in line pressure could cause your new issues.

I should add the setting is .625.

What do you mean?

line pressure adjuster is on the drivers side of the valve body near the shift shaft. There is an adjustment of .625. I adjusted mine about 7 years ago but I can't find the procedure now. Mine was a 66 so it may have changed on later models.

I'm just trying to help relieve your frustrations, lol.
linepreadjvb01.jpg

Took vb out. Going to install 727 vb and see what happens. Wish the plates were the same then I could just swap the plates as I don't know what this is and can't tell if it is supposed to be like that.

20200511_201423.jpg

I know right! I can't seem to make it out of the top of the rabbit hole. I'm definitely trying to though.

I figure ill do this line and use my bracket to make the lines parallel and easier to get the 1 to 1 adjustment.

I was also looking over the tf2 instructions and think I may open the trans and make sure I adjusted the bands properly. I actually think we did 1 more of each turn with each of the bands than the tf2 instructions say to do.

I really do just want it to end though.

View attachment 1715526434
Don't know if you did this, but right between the band adj. and the other band strut is the accumulator. Remove it and make a rod to replace the spring. Make sure it fits just right. The accumulators job is to soften shifts and by blocking it off will improve shifting. And there's a easier way to correct the geometry. Remove everything off of the side of the carb. lever and make a templet of it. Than remove the arm off the trans. and make a templet of that. Cut/drill the pivot points on both and set them on your bench. Then measure the full throttle of the carb with the choke open (where the cable goes) and then measure full travel on the kickdown lever on the trans. Now you can set it up flat on your bench then with a ruler mark the full sweep of both the trans. lever and the carb opening then put your cable on the templets and see what you got. It sounds like a lot of trouble but it's a lot easier than what you have been going thru. Also I've seen others recommend a manual shift valve body. They work great and after a day of 2 of driving it you got it. My wife even drives them with no issues. You can teach your wife or not depending if you want her to drive it, lol. But seriously all my kids also drive mine.

So I messed with the adjusting nuts today, never got it perfect under WOT heck even under 3/4 throttle. I got a new Mr Gasket throttle cable , I know its not Lokar but it will do for now...hopefully...

I will set up the throttle cable and kickdown cable like this and maybe it will allow me to adjust everything a little better.

View attachment 1715526326

View attachment 1715526327
You need the Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable kits. They work in unison. Anything else, you'll be playing this guessing game forever. Better yet, procure the correct linkage(s) for the engine/transmission. The stock parts work better if you have the right parts.

Last edited:
You're saying to adjust with these nuts correct? I'll try adjusting with those in the morning. I havent been driving the car during the day to much because its been so hot in Vegas lately.

View attachment 1715525963

View attachment 1715525964
The nuts that hold the end(s) of the cable sleeve to the bracket(s) do nothing to adjust cable slack/travel/tightness. The only adjustment is where you have been doing it, on the length of the cable itself.

You need the Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable kits. They work in unison. Anything else, you'll be playing this guessing game forever. Better yet, procure the correct linkage(s) for the engine/transmission. The stock parts work better if you have the right parts.

This is the Mr Gasket kit, Oreillys had it in stock. Its essentially the same thing as the lokar, maybe not as durable in the long run idk. Maybe I'll take it back and go get a lokar today.

This is the Mr Gasket kit, Oreillys had it in stock. Its essentially the same thing as the lokar, maybe not as durable in the long run idk. Maybe I'll take it back and go get a lokar today.
As long as it has the bracket that mounts to the rear carb stud, that holds both cables, it'll be O.K.

Wrap it around some chicken tenders, or sliced chicken breasts and grill it, good stuff.

As long as it has the bracket that mounts to the rear carb stud, that holds both cables, it'll be O.K.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I have the rear carb bracket but am missing the 2nd tear drop piece to hold the kickdown cable. I have a 2in bracket piece that I mocked up yesterday and it works the same way, so I was going to try it out.

By the way how has work been and the family? Everyone staying healthy and happy I presume.

One day maybe my car will be drivable enough to drive by yours :)

Wrap it around some chicken tenders, or sliced chicken breasts and grill it, good stuff.

Definitely good stuff, 15lbs for 31 bucks.
We wrap chicken, pork chops and steaks its yummy. My wife and daughter also have what seems like bacon and eggs every morning. I prefer chocolate chip pancakes and waffles though... I'm a big ol kid haha.

Man, make some poppers. cut the tops off jalapenos, and clean em out. Then fill em with cream cheese , wrap em with a slice of bacon and a toothpick and bake for 20-25 mins at 375° go great with a corona and lime

Man, make some poppers. cut the tops off jalapenos, and clean em out. Then fill em with cream cheese , wrap em with a slice of bacon and a toothpick and bake for 20-25 mins at 375° go great with a corona and lime

My buddy Chauncey makes the best jalapeño poppers imo, but we do make those too!

My wife made a bunch of em in the oven one time, sooo good, but damn I had to wipe my *** with an ice cube the next day. I was shittin fire lol. I am going to make a popper grilling rack by tack welding large steel washers together side by side so the bottom of the poppers set in the washer holes.

-
Back