Dartin for Divorce

-
Oh I really love the 340, its a great motor and it sounds amazing.

8.75 w/ 3.23 and sure grip. Tc is a stock tc rebuilt to 2500 stall. I don't know how the tc is yet because I haven't really been able to drive the car. I just got it rebuilt here in town when I did the transmission.
I used to have a 65 Dart G/T faded out paint, all stock body, stock manifolds (273) and dual exhaust 340/727 8 3/4 3.23 and most the time snow tires. The only changes was a small cam it was a 268/480 and I used a street hemi conv. it stalled at 3000 and had a stock type idle. 14.0 and easy 150. It was around 77/78 when I put it together and the new Camaros and such they used to get really pissed off as I just played with them. It got wrecked in the early 80's, a Mercedes ran a stop sign knocked the tires right off of that thing. I still have the motor and trans. I do have a picture somewhere of it wrecked I'll have to get it out and post it.

Took the car out for a bit, the adjustment needs a touch more work but I'm liking this vb over the last. 1st doest feel as soft and 2-3 feels the same. Wish I knew someone who worked around here who knew how to adjuat these things a little better :poke::lol: I read the directions again and it says its easier to do with a helper.

I think I may have done it! Adjusted the throttle cable a little tighter, may actually need to back off it just a hair as it sticks ever so slightly. Then adjusted the shifter cable.. and adjusted... and adjusted... i found that my kickdown cable was actually slipping about 1/2inch after I'd set it where I wanted it. Finally got it to stick where I wanted it using some man strength to tighten the set nut.

Shifts under normal driving throttle at pretty dang close to 18-20mph for 1-2 and 2-3 shift is pretty dang close to 30. The 2-3 shift is much more coffee spiller than 1-2, 1-2 shift is actually pretty timid still.

Under WOT I shift 1-2 at about 4k and 2-3 at about 4k too! Idk if this is where its supposed to shift but both shifts are nice hard and no real slippage or anything. I did multiple pulls to 70ish mph. The only "problem" I had was with my last pull before going into my neighborhood, the 2-3 shift held a little longer and blipped to a little over 5k but I think its because I was letting off the throttle. Idk.

Maybe I'll have @70aarcuda come by one of these days and take her for a spin see what he thinks. I think he would be quite satisfied with his build :) I know I am!

I also had a new camero try to race me :rofl:I decided to continue my cruise at 35mph, he turned around after he got to the end of the street (I was not racing him) and he gave me a thumbs up and said nice car as he drove back by me.

Now time to wash the beast and put the redlines on it.

Thanks everyone for your help and support! If you have any ideas for what to do on the car next I'm all ears... :poke::lol:jk let's keep her in 1 piece for a while!

Victory at last!!
Now enjoy that car!
I know how much you like taking it apart,and putting it back together, but driving it can be fun too!

Hot diggity dog! It's back to driving the thing for a while! :thumbsup:

Now put a padlock on your toolbox, give the wife the key, and stick your hands in your pockets.

Probably best you let the camero go.

Can you see the newspaper headlines, local Dentist arrested for street racing and car impounded.

Street racing is great. But common since is necessary. And you can always get out of it if you're kicking butt or getting your butt kicked.

Probably best you let the camero go.

Can you see the newspaper headlines, local Dentist arrested for street racing and car impounded.

Impound yard is probably the cheapest weekend for the car. I'm not much of a racer, my daughter she really likes to go fast.

Victory at last!!
Now enjoy that car!
I know how much you like taking it apart,and putting it back together, but driving it can be fun too!

Hot diggity dog! It's back to driving the thing for a while! :thumbsup:

Now put a padlock on your toolbox, give the wife the key, and stick your hands in your pockets.

Exactly. Working on it is fun but I'm so ready to just drive it. It'll also be nice to clean the garage and save some money for the next project... a convertible sounds nice....

4K It's not a diesel.:lol: Wait till you take it to 6K You'll never go back.

I think my camshaft is only 1800-5800 :poke: lol. Probably when I learn the car and engine more it will be easier not to be scared of breaking something.

Speaking of braking... i need to figure mine out.

Don't be surprised when a Honda civic pulls you. Seriously, just giving you a hard time. But in all fairness, this combo should safely pull mid5-6k. Thats where the power lives.

Nice brakes next on the agenda. I wish I lived closer I’d come work on them with you

I actually already redid the brakes... but I've never got them to feel quite right, feels like I have an air bubble in my system that I haven't been able to get out. I've bled the brakes numerous times but no luck. I was thinking maybe new front hard lines and different rear wheel brake cylinders. I think I got regular rears for 10in but I think the cars with disc fronts had different wheel cylinders.

I'll try to upload a couple pics of my 69 purple dart.
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Don't be surprised when a Honda civic pulls you. Seriously, just giving you a hard time. But in all fairness, this combo should safely pull mid5-6k. Thats where the power lives.

Oh I would not be surprised at all, there are some very fast imports. My supercharged vr6 jetta, turbo 16v gti, and golf R all had roughly 350hp and were quick as ****. The difference is this car is way louder and way more cool! I'm really amazed how great this build has turned out.

I think to shift at 5-6k I would have to manually shift it. I havent really played with shifting it manually yet and didn't plan on it. I saw some guys accidently shift into neutral when doing the 2-3 shift. The quicksilver shifter would help with that :rolleyes: "now I'm thinking..." :D

I've been making comments to my wife that we will need another car soon. I love the idea of a convertible with a convertible I wouldn't even car if it was the fastest car either because it just seems like the ultimate cruiser car. My wife made the comment about me building an international scout. She has been making comments about me building a scout for a long time. Her dad had one when he was younger and even used scout as her brothers middle name. For some reason a scout is just a car my wife always comments about having.

And that 340 there is the 71 I had in my 65 dart, Grandy's Dart.

That purple looks really good! Is that the plum crazy paint code? The 340 would be cool in that car, I'd probably a stick the 383 back in it... something about a big block in a dart sounds like a good idea to me (my ideas usually are never the right ideas though :p). Don't they say there's no replacement for displacement? :poke::D

Didnt scouts have pop tops? There you go, best of both worlds!

-
Back