Dartin for Divorce

-
That purple looks really good! Is that the plum crazy paint code? The 340 would be cool in that car, I'd probably a stick the 383 back in it... something about a big block in a dart sounds like a good idea to me (my ideas usually are never the right ideas though :p). Don't they say there's no replacement for displacement? :poke::D
Got a 500ci Hemi going in it. 15 to 1, heads are ported to match SS flow on the intake side but I didn't have them raise the exhaust ports as I already have the headers, 1968 style Hooker race headers. I also have the correct k-frame for it to just bolt in. But I still have to modify the right shock tower, maybe a big hammer.:eek:

Easy peasy Doc. Build the wife a Scout, then build yourself a ragtop.

Happy wife, happy life!

Didnt scouts have pop tops? There you go, best of both worlds!

Yea they did. My grandpa actually has like 4 old scout 800. 2 sitting on his farm in Panaca Nevada and 2 sitting at his ranch in Utah. I think all of them have a bunch of rust though, he hasn't driven or used them in years.

My wife says she wants one like this... I'd love to do a little 4bt swap in a scout. Not a fast, tons of torque and have the ability to roll coal

d5eaf80e0ee5615cd2d5807a3fd3c039.jpg

Easy peasy Doc. Build the wife a Scout, then build yourself a ragtop.

Happy wife, happy life!

Happy wife, happy life...

I think this is a phrase that was created by women and stuck in the woman handbook that no man can actually read or understand. I think the phrase has a disclaimer to it that says "say to you husband and he will try but its actually unattainable for them to complete said task..." :rofl:

I actually already redid the brakes... but I've never got them to feel quite right, feels like I have an air bubble in my system that I haven't been able to get out. I've bled the brakes numerous times but no luck. I was thinking maybe new front hard lines and different rear wheel brake cylinders. I think I got regular rears for 10in but I think the cars with disc fronts had different wheel cylinders.
Do the rears lock up and not the fronts during hard braking? That’s usually a sign you need have different size rear wheel cylinders. If your brakes feel soft sometimes just a brake drum adjustment fix it up.

Do the rears lock up and not the fronts during hard braking? That’s usually a sign you need have different size rear wheel cylinders. If your brakes feel soft sometimes just a brake drum adjustment fix it up.

It doesn't feel like the fronts lock up during hard braking and yes the brakes feel soft on the 1st press of the brakes and the 2nd press feels much more firm. Sometimes it feels like the brakes drag too. I'll do some more adjusting. :)

Got a 500ci Hemi going in it. 15 to 1, heads are ported to match SS flow on the intake side but I didn't have them raise the exhaust ports as I already have the headers, 1968 style Hooker race headers. I also have the correct k-frame for it to just bolt in. But I still have to modify the right shock tower, maybe a big hammer.:eek:

BFM those are the best tools!

Want to hear something funny @Johnny Dart ? My hood didn't close when I put on my air cleaner... :rofl:

I ordered a 2in air filter though, it will be here in the morning. I currently have a 2.75in air filter, so with the 2in air filter I should be sitting at essentially the same height as pre spacer world.

If that doesn't work ill use the old racer trick of lifting the back of the hood a little. If that doesn't work I have a metal cutting wheel... i heard hood scoops look cool on these old beasts... lol

Oh I would not be surprised at all, there are some very fast imports. My supercharged vr6 jetta, turbo 16v gti, and golf R all had roughly 350hp and were quick as ****. The difference is this car is way louder and way more cool! I'm really amazed how great this build has turned out.

I think to shift at 5-6k I would have to manually shift it. I havent really played with shifting it manually yet and didn't plan on it. I saw some guys accidently shift into neutral when doing the 2-3 shift. The quicksilver shifter would help with that :rolleyes: "now I'm thinking..." :D

I've been making comments to my wife that we will need another car soon. I love the idea of a convertible with a convertible I wouldn't even car if it was the fastest car either because it just seems like the ultimate cruiser car. My wife made the comment about me building an international scout. She has been making comments about me building a scout for a long time. Her dad had one when he was younger and even used scout as her brothers middle name. For some reason a scout is just a car my wife always comments about having.
What shifter do you have on it?

Cleaned up my 15/16th bore wheel cylinders that were in my 7.25 10in drum brakes. I took them apart and cleaned all of the gunk out of the middle of them too.

I also have a spare 12in hard line that I was going to try to bend and put on from the drivers side; from the prop valve to the rubber brake hose. If any of the hoses are kinked or not working right I think it would be that one. If it doesn't work ill probably order new front hard lines and a mc adapter plate for my 2 bolt mc.

Gotta keep tinkering and get those things perfect as stopping perfectly is more important that going.

20200515_200845.jpg

20200515_200816.jpg

20200515_200756.jpg

If it's a floor shifter al it requires is a flip of the wrist. You will never hit neutral.

A member here make the 2 bolt MC adaptor I think hemidart67 his name.

Yes he does. Just don't know how long shipping from Canada would be. I have a brand new 4 bolt MC but have never gotten the brakes to feel like they should after doing all of the brakes. Figured I'd try what I can for not to much money before redoing a bunch of stuff. It would also be cool to bend my own lines but the tools for that may be $$ and it might be a pain in the but.

Gotta keep tinkering and get those things perfect as stopping perfectly is more important that going.

If it helps any, I played Hobb getting the brakes on the Valiant to work right. I worked at it a bunch before they felt good - they were spongy and tentative, not a desirable attribute for brakes. I bled them several times but I think I was going too fast. I had the GF work the pedal very slowly in both directions, and bled them in order - right rear, left rear, right front, left front. I probably went through a pint or more of brake fluid. These are all 9" drums so I set the adjusters a little loose, where the drums would turn freely with just no dragging. Then I went to the local church parking lot and went back and forth, braking hard in reverse to set the adjusters. After about 50 trips up and down the parking lot (and getting the stink eye from the church lady in the office) they were good to go. They are still only as effective as 9" drums will ever be, but they do stop the car reliably.

Nobody liked my Dart! Waaa bums me out. I've bought it 20 years ago and it has never moved. It took all these years to be able to afford to buy all these parts and I still got a lot to go, transmission, driveshaft, gears, axles, steering parts, interior etc. My cars have been taken me over 50 years to collect. I'm not rich by any means and I took loans to purchase them and most were by loans on my house. I still owe $$$. These are the first pics I took in all these years. But this has given me some incentive so I hope to get a little start on it this summer.

Nobody liked my Dart! Waaa bums me out. I've bought it 20 years ago and it has never moved. It took all these years to be able to afford to buy all these parts and I still got a lot to go, transmission, driveshaft, gears, axles, steering parts, interior etc. My cars have been taken me over 50 years to collect. I'm not rich by any means and I took loans to purchase them and most were by loans on my house. I still owe $$$. These are the first pics I took in all these years. But this has given me some incentive so I hope to get a little start on it this summer.

I have a transmission for you it comes with no valve body though as I used it in my 904 lol.

Wait that thing has been sitting for 20 years??? Holy guacamole! Its like a barn find in your own garage. Pull that thing out and get her in the road. Or bring her here, my daughter loves her purple darts.

I'm definitely not rich heck I may or may not even have a job... which is why I always try to do things for as little cost as possible.

I have a transmission for you it comes with no valve body though as I used it in my 904 lol.

Wait that thing has been sitting for 20 years??? Holy guacamole! Its like a barn find in your own garage. Pull that thing out and get her in the road. Or bring her here, my daughter loves her purple darts.

I'm definitely not rich heck I may or may not even have a job... which is why I always try to do things for as little cost as possible.
That's why I also try to do as much as possible myself also. And thanks you guys it really does mean a lot to me.

I wish you were closer I'd take you up on it. And you are right it's the first time I looked at it in quite a while, it looks better to me now for some reason and I hope I can devote some time to it.

-
Back