Dartin for Divorce

-
I use 90 degree boots on cyls #5&7 to keep them off the headers. Tried all the heat shields and stuff - didn't help much.

I use 90 degree boots on cyls #5&7 to keep them off the headers. Tried all the heat shields and stuff - didn't help much.

Yea I was thinking of going and getting another 90 degree boot for #7, I've never had a problem with that one until now.

Back in its natural habitat. That was the quickest I've ever fixed a problem on the purple car. I figured out the trick all the old timers must use... if you don't drive your car it doesn't break so you dont have to ever fix it lol.

20200611_145119.jpg

and a trailer queen is born...now you have two daughters :lol:

3 daughters... lol. Maybe after the body work and paint is done it'll be a trailer queen, since it will be presentable... wait thats a lie I'd need a trailer, and would have to convince my oldest not to drive it.

need to check step up springs on carb while it idles...to see if they keep the metering rods down in the hole...

ok...can come by next week and help.....go racing this weekend...

Uncle Tony explains alot....your spring must allow the metering rod to go down into the meter rod while idling....

You are in tr-ou-ble .....love the look!! She has the mopar grin already! Her first words will be..." hey dad, look what happens when i do this".... in your mind , you'll be thinking " damn, I've been trying to get the car to do that forever!! ":steering::steering::steering:

You are in tr-ou-ble .....love the look!! She has the mopar grin already! Her first words will be..." hey dad, look what happens when i do this".... in your mind , you'll be thinking " damn, I've been trying to get the car to do that forever!! ":steering::steering::steering:

Oh yea, I'm in double trouble for sure! Im going to have to get another mopar for this little one.

I need it to not be 100+ degrees so I can enjoy all the hard work that was put into the car. I also am avoiding jumping into any rabbit holes with the car lol

Agreed, you have the extreme heat of summer and we have the cold / salt of winter. Like i tell my son with the white 70 in my avatar, " when it's running and good weather, Drive it, run it, ENJOY it, cuz its 50 and gonna act up, and give you new issues that make you dive down long rabbit holes. " We usually try to do the repairs during winter but our luck isn't all that great ! Time for a slushie at dusk maybe ??

Agreed, you have the extreme heat of summer and we have the cold / salt of winter. Like i tell my son with the white 70 in my avatar, " when it's running and good weather, Drive it, run it, ENJOY it, cuz its 50 and gonna act up, and give you new issues that make you dive down long rabbit holes. " We usually try to do the repairs during winter but our luck isn't all that great ! Time for a slushie at dusk maybe ??

Yea thats when I try to take it out, well more so in the morning. Later in the day its still really hot. The only reason I dont like driving it when its 100+ out is because there is no a/c. I'm not worried of it overheating just don't want to sweat like I'm hanging out in Satan's house.

Salt would be killer on these old metal cars, I assume thats why they get so rusty in other parts of the country

Yes , salt kills our cars. I bought my 74 sport when i was 16, drove it for 6 years, put it away as life happened. 53 now and finally have some $. Always started the 340 once a month over the years and 1 day my son (15 at the time) came out and i said" fire her up". That was all it took... " I want one" he says, i said start saving. He says, i have , what about this one... it was a great day when we picked it up. Actually, the start of many great days ! Enjoy your dart, especially if your kids are into them.

Yes , salt kills our cars. I bought my 74 sport when i was 16, drove it for 6 years, put it away as life happened. 53 now and finally have some $. Always started the 340 once a month over the years and 1 day my son (15 at the time) came out and i said" fire her up". That was all it took... " I want one" he says, i said start saving. He says, i have , what about this one... it was a great day when we picked it up. Actually, the start of many great days ! Enjoy your dart, especially if your kids are into them.

That's awesome. Life does get in the way sometimes, but that's all part of the adventure I guess. I hope we can keep this car for a very very long time. I'd love to buy a new challenger one day and have the story of keeping it for 50 years, would be pretty cool, I mean not as cool as real american steel muscle cars.

Yes my kids love the purple car, especially my daughter. She doesn't like me taking it apart so much because she can't go ride in it. She will appreciate the work put into it one day though.

I'm getting good at dying in parking lots thats for sure... let the car warm up, then brought it 1.5 miles down the street and died in the parking lot. The wires are not burnt through, idk about the plugs yet as I dont have a tool to pull it out yet. I press on the carb throttle and a little smoke comes out of the carb so im assuming gas is getting in there. The carb isnt hot but the metal fuel line is pretty warm. It was only 90 degrees when I left and windy so the car doesn't seem to hot, temp guage only read like 185 when we got here.

20200621_135809.jpg

I think you have spark going away.
Just like key gets flipped off?
Im thinking an electrical issue.

I think you have spark going away.
Just like key gets flipped off?
Im thinking an electrical issue.

It actually started sputtering more like a fuel issue... kind of like when it stalled because the car and carb got hot and percolated fuel

I had those exact same issues when I lived there. It's why I went to fitech efi. Steep learning curve, but it did fix the hard hot starts and random dying when warm.
Modern gas just doesn't tolerate heat.

I had those exact same issues when I lived there. It's why I went to fitech efi. Steep learning curve, but it did fix the hard hot starts and random dying when warm.
Modern gas just doesn't tolerate heat.

I didnt have this problem until this year after doing the cam and stuff. Last year it was fine, would just overheat.. Fuel injection, thats pretty expensive right?

-
Back