Dash bulbs - Radio ground

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since my car (1972 Duster/Standard Gauge Cluster) had no interior parts other than the dash frame and the under dash wiring when I got it, as I'm collecting parts and putting it back together I've had to do a bit of research and digging around to make sure I have everything.

Currently I'm working on getting all the components for the dash, I have the cluster and bezel with the switches (lights, wiper) etc. But there were no dash bulbs on the back of the cluster (twist in type) I was hoping someone out there could provide a good replacement source or hopefully a part number for these bulbs? Are they two piece, one for the twist in body and a plug in bulb? Or are they one piece units with the twist connect attached to the bulb?

Another quick question is on the radio... I've picked up a stock AM radio from a member here and have cleaned it up (Still have to bench test) but I see that the harness and connector coming from the radio only includes two wires (red and orange) one for powering the unit and one for powering the back lighting for the dial. Other than the two speaker wires there are no other wires on the unit. Does the radio get it's ground from a chassis ground connected to the body of the radio? I don't see any ground indicated in the service manual diagrams for the radio. Or does it get ground through the shafts as they are connected to the dash?

At some other time I would like to update the lighting (LED?) but for now I'm focused on getting as much original parts in place as possible so I can test everything as stock. That way if there's issues I'm dealing with a baseline stock system and not trying to troubleshoot anything I've done to modify it along the way.

Any help is appreciated!

Jerry

You need 194 bulbs and the twist pieces which are easy to get. The radio may get its ground through the antenna which is grounded through the fender.

You need 194 bulbs and the twist pieces which are easy to get. The radio may get its ground through the antenna which is grounded through the fender.

Actually that would be "iffy" at best. My memory wants to say there is/ was originally a brace and bolt on the rear of the radio. The front mounting hardware also.

Radio is chassis grounded as is everything in the car. Only 1 ground wire to battery so everything is grounding through that wire, and the engine block, and chassis ground strap at firewall, and all the little hardware that holds things together.
Bulb I use is Sylvania #2825. Slightly brighter than OEM, long life. 5/8 bulb sockets available on HELP parts line in most part stores, ebay, etc...
NAPA Echlin ( spelt ) brand may be a higher quality socket but costs more of course.

-
Back