Dash Cap or Dash Pad

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
The dash in my duster has a crack in it and is showing it age. Should I replace the whole pad or just throw a cap on it? It's not a show car by any means. Has anyone used a cap? How did it urn out?

I just installed a dash cap on my son's Dart. It turned out nice. I had to trim the edges of the old pad. Simple installation.

Trimmed down the old pad to insure it was close to level across the top, then cleaned it real good with paint surface prep, test fit the cap. Then applied glue to the cap and put into place. Used a bunch of 10Lb weight plates and C clamps with a steel rule I had to hold it in place for drying. I would recommend doing it when it was warmer in order for glue to react correctly.. maybe.

I vote cap too. The replacement pads are pretty but no one can say theirs had survived extreme temp swings and such for many years.
OEM makers have a hard time producing a dash pad of lasting quality in new cars so why should we expect a chinesse repop for our cars to be a high quality part.
Those hard caps are survivors.

For anyone who opts on a new dashpad, don't trash your old one. There are people out there (like me) with none, that wouldn't mind capping a used cracked dashpad.

Depends on your budget and how far you want to take it. My dash was really cracked bad. I capped it . I shaved all the bad places with a razor. Then i used a plactic putty to fill cracks, sanded smooth, cleaned with alcohal and applied cap.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 478
i did the same thing a long time ago as zigs, but after i had it smoothed...

i got a big piece of craft leather, very thin. i used leather cement and glued it down nice and smooth. trimmed it underneath the edges. used black leather dye.

it came out beautiful in my old dart.

Im going to end up probably wrapping mine in some carbon fiber cloth like material.

i did the same thing a long time ago as zigs, but after i had it smoothed...

i got a big piece of craft leather, very thin. i used leather cement and glued it down nice and smooth. trimmed it underneath the edges. used black leather dye.

it came out beautiful in my old dart.
People are afraid to do their pads including me but I figured what the heck its already screwed up. The only thing about the caps ,I'm told that if they set out in the sun and get hot they will start to worp. Ithink just keep a window open and use a window shade should help that.

My friend in town here bought from here

https://www.nosreproductions.com/index.php

Its here in Ontario.... I had to look real close to see it was a cap... if he didn't tell me I would not of looked to see..

$99.00 CAN

He was looking at I believe year one but could be wrong and it was upward to 185.00 USD

Hardcore, i would def recommend a cap if its not a show car. One of my cars is a 71 Dodge Challenger. Being in Australia, good original dash pads are extremly scarce and like gold. Because they are so expensive to import due to their size. I bought a used dash pad that had already been capped, except i couldn't tell until i looked at it closely. However, yes it was warped slightly but i fixed that with some wooden blocks underneath and after a spray of Satin black it came up about 95% as good as new one, i was very happy.

ive been debating between a cap and trying to fix up my cracked original like moparlover, it has been impossible to find a new pad for my 66. glad to see some positive feedback on caps. is it a similar feel to the original or a hard plastic?

I use a dash mat on all mine, even ones that have a fine dash since it protects from sun damage and I think looks better, plus stuff on the dashboard doesn't slide around. ~$25 at rockauto for just about any car in many colors.

I tried all ways over the years. New pads are the best for drivers.But the seam in the front is noticable through the windshield . perfect soft used pads are the best for restores The caps look nice let it set in the sun and they split up the middle. Keep a window sheild on it at shows or in the sun . I had seen three last year alone crack at shows in the heat. 71 -74 b's are the worst.

Still love my new pad!:glasses7:

Attachments

• 100_0725 (Copy).JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_0728 (Copy).JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 291
-
Back