Dash cluster wire size

-

banzaibullitt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know that the wire size is for the 8 pin connector for a '68 Barracuda rallye dash?

If you look closely at the female terminals at harness connectors to the inst' panel, you'll notice those are oval shaped while the male pins on circuit boards are round. Each male post bares small lines where very little contact/connection was achieved. Without changing those connections, larger or smaller than the OEM wire conductors would make zero difference.
The copper traces on the circuit boards are more substantial than the connection before them.

The wiring diagram shows 18 AWG. You can get a copy of the service manual and diagrams free at mymopar.com

But ALWAYS heed any advice offered by RedFish.

Screenshot_20230901-102722.png

You can simply solder wire onto the circuit boards copper traces but be forewarned, if the wire gets pulled in the future the copper trace will peel up/off very easily. Good luck with it.

There is nothing in the cluster, except the ammeter, that draws very much current. You could probably operate all of it on no. 22 wire. 18 is fine. That is actually hilarious, because Ma was notorious for using too small wire for headlights, tail lights, and other circuits in the cars.

The larger gages will be heavier and less flexible
Agreed, though I have seen wire with additional strand but making the same gauge wire with a very flexible (silicon???) insulation.

I may have a couple used boards if interested? If it was me I would send them out for repairs. I did with mine. A member on here repins the boards and cleaned them up also. Pins are stronger than new.

-
Back