Dash harness meltdown help

-

scottylack

Reaction score
Im just about had enough... I got this harness from a member here for my 65 Barracuda...thing is thats its got a 64 dash in it as I went pushbutton

so I needed the bigger firewall junction box...
so I got this 65 harness...could be a Dart, but its a V8 ...its clean...

figured I could just plug and play... got most of it in and realized I couldnt make it over to the light switches or wiper... obviously they are made for a different set up...

looks like the wiper connectors are different as well...didnt think of that...

also, the main connector for the gauges does not have the same pattern, or colored wire... guess this was a mistake!

what should I do...? Get a 65 Barracuda dash harness...? Will the switches all hook up....? Wiper?

here a series of pics... some of the dart harness and the other harness I have... think it could be a 65 Barracuda.. or 66

maybe you can help me soprt out this mess...

obviously the best of both worlds would be a 64 Barracuda harness with a 65 firewall junction box???

Attachments

• photo(21).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 298
  • photo(28).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 294
  • photo(27).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 298
  • photo(26).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 275
  • photo(25).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 274
  • photo(24).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 297
  • photo(23).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 264
  • photo(22).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 282
ist photo is the 65 barracuda? harness... the second photo is the dart...next is photo of wiring disgram for barracuda...thats the correct barracuda wiper switch...last photo is the "wiper" plug ins on the dart harness.....

I found the wiper switch that matches up...think I can make it work? Think it will fit in the dash?
Besides that, How can I get that gauge inset round plug to match up with my cars? The wires dont even look the right color...!

Attachments

• 66 wiper switch 001.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 268
Definitely use a 65 bulkhead connector. Not only does it match your firewall opening, it is the only year they had dedicated lugs for the big ALT and BATT wires. If you have an extra one, PM me as I am currently re-doing my 64 wiring and would like to upgrade (even though I must cut the opening more).

Your wiper switch photo looks just like my 64 Valiant convertible. I was surprised when I pulled it out and haven't found out what the rectangular box on the flying arm is. I was thinking maybe part of my convertible top wiring, though I don't have hydraulic cylinders. Your last photo looks like the wiring for my 65 wiper. It looks confusing because one wire is often for the windshield washer and another wire is just a 12 V feed-thru to something else (dome lights?), unrelated to the wipers.

I have some photos at home and can take more if you need, of either my 64 or 65. As I recall, the components in the 64 dash are in quite different places from the 65, which is why some of your wires don't fit. Best plan is probably to use the 64 dash wiring with your 65 bulkhead connector. The terminals can be released with a small screwdriver, which is good to do anyway to clean them. The two terminals in the 64 bulkhead used for the big wires (that melt things) are repurposed in the 65 bulkhead (at least one is, washer?) since those wires moved to the big feedthru studs. Compare a 64 & 65 wiring diagram (I recall maybe G & H terminals). You just wouldn't use those with your 64 dash wiring, and have them available for a future accessory. Unwrap the harness enough to remove the big wires from the 64 harness (unwrap to the soldered junctions) and solder in the big wires on your 65 bulkhead instead. Unlike most people here, you won't need to worry about a melted bulkhead (just melted ammeter connections unless you clean those good).

ok...well then I need a 64 harness... and I have two bulkhead boxes... maybe you can help me get a harness for a v8... and Ill give you the box....

That wiper switch is one of several that mopar used in the 1960's that all had that large round housing. My 64ragtop GT has the variable speed wipers, and the rheostat is in that housing. The rectangular box on the flying arm is a circuit breaker for the backup lights, windshield washer pump and wipers. The wiring for the single, two speed, and variable wipers are shown at the top right, and bottom right on your instrument cluster wiring drawing in the F.S.M. Here's a good look at mine: ATB BC

Attachments

• 019_resize.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 271
I found the wiper switch that matches up...think I can make it work? Think it will fit in the dash?
Besides that, How can I get that gauge inset round plug to match up with my cars? The wires dont even look the right color...!

That wiper switch (from the '65?) does not have the long shank that your (and my) '64 switch does. Neither does it have the little black button in the knob for the windshield washer pump.
I think the long shank was to clear the pushbuttons, so the short shank switch may well not fit your '64 dash.
Cool move, though, I love my pushbuttons! My parents' '62 Fury had em. (the car I learned to drive in)

ATB

BC

That looks like the variable wiper sw from my 67. What is the part number on it?

That was what I was worried about. That it needed the long shank to get around the push button mechanism. Is that true? Can I retire the 65 harness to work with the 64 wipers?

if you have the schematic's for both harnesses. what matters is where the wires are going, how they mate up and not the color. example - if the fuel gauge wire is black in one and blue in the other what matters is where the wires go. I think you will find many of the wires may be the same or similar color. How they route is different. Don't over think it the wiring itself is pretty basic.

The switch is a push button switch from the center. if it fits I am sure you can make it work. The wipers are one component of a wiring harness and look at the project as such.

just hoping when I turn the key the car will start! And the lights go on...everything else is a plus

so basically its down to

1. Get a 64 dash harness and put a 65 bulkhead adapter on it and get it to work
2. Use my 65 harness and figure out how to change wires on circular gauge plug and make the wiper work by modifying it to a 64 switch or getting the 65 switch to fit and work

thoughts?

yes..photos above

first photo is a barracuda 65 harness with correct wire pattern
photo two is the 65 dart harness

so basically its down to

1. Get a 64 dash harness and put a 65 bulkhead adapter on it and get it to work
2. Use my 65 harness and figure out how to change wires on circular gauge plug and make the wiper work by modifying it to a 64 switch or getting the 65 switch to fit and work

thoughts?

Hey Scotty, you can change the wires in the circular plug easy enough, just push the wire so you are just pushing the terminal out of the end of the plug, then just wiggle the wire through the slot in the plug. After you get all of the wires out of the plug, work with your wiring shematic and rearrange the wires in the plug according to their corresponding color on the diagram of the plug for your year car. Remember to orient the plug on the cluster according to the locating tab, and mark the colors on the plug because it is a mirror image when you pull off the plug and look at the end!!

Hope this helps...and I have a 64 harness if you need it, but it's not out yet so I can't comment on the condition as of yet!! geof

Hey Geoff. Problem is That there is more wires in the plug than I should have. There should be three empty spaces in the plug. The new dart one has only two so there is one extra wire

Hey Scotty, you can change the wires in the circular plug easy enough, just push the wire so you are just pushing the terminal out of the end of the plug, then just wiggle the wire through the slot in the plug. After you get all of the wires out of the plug, work with your wiring shematic and rearrange the wires in the plug according to their corresponding color on the diagram of the plug for your year car. Remember to orient the plug on the cluster according to the locating tab, and mark the colors on the plug because it is a mirror image when you pull off the plug and look at the end!!

Hope this helps...and I have a 64 harness if you need it, but it's not out yet so I can't comment on the condition as of yet!! geof

Most excellent, Geoff! If the harness also has the switch that would sure be nice.
Ma used that large round main part of that switch body in several configurations, depending on the car model and the options that were ordered.
From what I've seen, some of the switches had parts added on, and some had terminals missing if it was for a low line car.

I'd like to see a few good clear close-ups. of the '65 switch, for my own continuing education.
Those two drawings that were posted earlier do a pretty good job of showing the instrument cluster plug wiring.

ATB

BC

i really wish we were closer scotty all your answers are packed neatley on a trailer burried up to the roof in snow in my backyard i have no garage space my health is going down hill and the strorm just wont quit here same as cos said mine all in tacked in car yet tho i do kneed to know wich dash we are working with if a normal 64/65 dash not dart mexican ,or canadian ,or valliant far as the push button goes some 1 else would have to answer or confirm if mine would work i will stay in touch i have to start a tread on how to empty my mail box but would like to store g/l
talk to you soon i got a feeling BAD WIRES START EXPENSIVE FIRES

-
Back