Dash light won´t work, need help!

-

340S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a tricky question: I own a ´68 Barracuda with rally dash. When I turn on parking light (switch position 1) the dash light is on, also the side markers. When I turn on low beam light (switch position 2) the dash light is off - also the side markers. Front lights work in both cases. High beam also works. Hopefully you understand what I mean, sorry for my poor english. Any ideas?

greetings Gerald

sounds like a bad headlight switch. It shouldn't drop the park lamp circuit at full on.

Has the car been re-wired?

The dash lights are "a bit of a trick"

Dash light power originates "in the switch" in the parking / tail light circuit. That is that tail fuse must be good and supplying power to the switch.

From the switch power goes to the dimmer control at the front of the switch. THAT POWER then goes (tan wire) down TO the fuse panel to the "inst" (instrument) fuse at one end of the fuse panel. From there the lamps power is distributed to dimmer controlled lamps via orange wires.

So...first thing I'd do is get a test lamp or meter and see if you have power on both ends of the inst. fuse. Make sure you "wiggle" the knob left / right and end up "left" (counter clockwise) which is "brighter" on the dimmer control.

Do ANY dimmer controlled lamps work, IE radio, heater bezel, shift quadrant light?

"Might be" a ground problem in your cluster or otherwise either bad connection at the harness connector or pins on the PC board.

No, the car wasn´t rewired. The dash was dismounted and re-installed cause of bad fuel gauge. After reassembling the problem popped up.
Fuse is o.k.
Dimming the lights only work on Pos.1
At Pos.2 nothing happen. It´s like on/off when pulling the switch.
Do you mean the round harness connector on the back? I will check.
Thx for advice!
btw a new switch is already ordered.

From your last post, sounds like headlight switch. You know how to get the knob/ shaft out?

I could use that info,if you don't mind. Would that apply to a 64 Plymouth also? Thanks

To remove headlight knob, know that it's attached to the shaft. Pull knob out as far as if turning on headlights. Reach under dash. There is a button on the bottom of the headlight switch. Opposite the plug with the wiring. Push the button in, and pull the knob. Should come out. Unscrew the bezel. Pull switch down so you can get to the tabs holding the plug on . release clips. Pull old switch off plug . push new switch onto the plug. Reinstall. Put knob back in . should feel a small click when knob shaft locks in place. Probably should unhook the battery before starting this project. It isn't an easy job. Be patient.

As above, here:

WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg

This is not Mopar specific. Most older push/ pull light switches work like this

Hi,

here´s a little update on this. Today I installed a new headlight switch and now everything is working!

Thx all for your advice!

Gerald

-
Back