Dash Swap \Wiring issues.

-

Mad Max

Reaction score
I've got a 64 Barracuda that I've had since the early 80's. Back then I didn't care that the instument cluster didn't work. Some of the wiring in the dash is melted. Several years ago I striped out anothe Barracuda. I kept the dash, all of the wiring in the car and most of the interior. I've started to put the car back together and was going to replace the original dash with the one I had gotten from the parts car. The 2 dashes are not the same. I'm don't remember what year the car was that I parted out. I'm attaching pictures so hopefully some on can identify what I have. The red one is the original and the black one is the one I want to use.

Attachments

• Replacement Dash.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Original 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 216
The black one is a 65 Cuda, the red one is from your 64. Yes, they are different, but the black one can surely be used in place of the red one, as long as you use the entire assembly, harness and all. All of the wiring at the bulkhead plugs is the same and should have no effect on the car at all. I personally like the 65 dash better, and the 66 dash the best, which would also work if swapping the entire assembly!!

Good luck with the swap, I'm doing a 67 Cuda dash swap right now also!! Geof

You could also remove the wiring harness from the car and repair any damages, then recheck the gauges and see what you need.

The bulkhead pinouts ARE different. The same wires are there, but in different places.

The original plan all along was to replace the dash with the black one. The red interior is missing the front seats and the door panels are cut up for speakers. I've got a complete black interior. The front seats will need recovered, the door panels are in good condition and the back seat has some mold that may clean up.

Next question, Looks like to me the windshield needs to be removed to swap out the dash. Is that a correct statement? I can see the screws along the top edge however there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a tool in there to remove them.

I almost forgot to say thanks. Thanks for the quick answers!!

I have removed several windshields by cutting the U-nuts and screws. To reinstall put new U-nut on the dash frame and use shorter screws going UP through the body tabs.

I was able to get the dash out today without pulling the windshield. I had to cut a notch in the windshield gasket were the screws were at in the top of the dash.

I agree 65 nice dash mine is formula s also has a original rpm guage on left side but otherwise the same. Mine also is black interior. I will soon be doing complete rewiring kit to replace the original system, did it on a 66 cuda I had and drag raced many years ago. It is very simple to do as they dont have alot of wires to deal with, dash lights , head lights tail lights, interior light, starter, battery and for us who upgraded to electronic ignition systems. Mopar of course. Good luck and I am sure it will come out nice! Mine is a driver ready soon for its final finish up paint job and its done! I drive it and love it!

I like the 65 of all the years. and the front windshield is EZ to get in and out. Peel out lockstrip and hit the upper corner with the palm of your gloved hand. then push out evenly. They are pretty tough. Rear window comes out with foot power laying on your back.

-
Back