David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
forum.jpg

I didn't watch the video, what is the reasoning behind square openings on the carb flange?

Not sure what the square openings are. They did produce a lot of noise on his flow test.

Think he was trying open up access to the restricted plenum. Duplicating what mopar did with this 318 dual plane intake withe factory dropped devider.

Screenshot_20230119-110537_Gallery.jpg

Will keep watching and see if I can learn anything new. Charles is planning on building a 3" tall "Hour Glass" adapter to go on top of square opening plenum of the manifold.

Not sure what the square openings are. They did produce a lot of noise on his flow test.

Think he was trying open up access to the restricted plenum. Duplicating what mopar did with this 318 dual plane intake withe factory dropped devider.

View attachment 1716037008

Will keep watching and see if I can learn anything new. Charles is planning on building a 3" tall "Hour Glass" adapter to go on top of square opening plenum of the manifold.
Factory of course. :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

Essentially a venturi between the carb and the intake I suppose. I'd like to hear his reasoning behind that.

It doesn't sound like something the "average" builder would come up with though.

Cripes, 53 pages on NOWT as we say in the UK!
All that is old is (err) new again.
There was a time you could buy good A/Market 318 rods for $200.
Anyone with any Mopar knowledge would stick a small-valve 360 head ONATOP.
Even my 273 marine had a nice single plane 4-barrel intake with a 500cfm carby...

Mr. David stop now before this madness sends US ALL MAD.

Then you can get on with the UK Weslake Nascar engine that made 700hp in 1970...
Hemi rods in a 426 wedge, coolio.

As talked about in the very wonderful Mopar performance bookie wookie!

Weslake head info page.jpeg

Ovalport 440 heads and rocker on.jpg

Weslake rod and piston.jpg

Last edited:
Cripes, 53 pages on NOWT as we say in the UK!
All that is old is (err) new again.
There was a time you could buy good A/Market 318 rods for $200.
Anyone with any Mopar knowledge would stick a small-valve 360 head ONATOP.
Even my 273 marine had a nice single plane 4-barrel intake with a 500cfm carby...

Mr. David stop now before this madness sends US ALL MAD.

Then you can get on with the UK Weslake Nascar engine that made 700hp in 1970...
Hemi rods in a 426 wedge, coolio.

As talked about in the very wonderful Mopar performance bookie wookie!

View attachment 1716037065

View attachment 1716037067

View attachment 1716037068
Yep. If only Mopar had based the updated small blocks around the W2 head instead of coming up with a whole new design (Magnum). Oh, and kept the main journal size of the 360 at 2.5"...

So, am I to guess that you don't want to watch the video, but you want to ask questions about it? Because that's a bit weird..

Yep. If only Mopar had based the updated small blocks around the W2 head instead of coming up with a whole new design (Magnum). Oh, and kept the main journal size of the 360 at 2.5"...
That would have been nice for us hot-rodders here 20 years later but even before the Magnum came out the only vehicles getting V-8s were trucks and SUVs. Not much benefit to having a big-port head on an engine that will rarely see over 4000 RPM and needs stump-pulling torque for doing truck things.

Yeah the 5.7L Hemi is put in trucks and they have giant head ports but those engines don't pull down low like a 5.9L Magnum does.

When Mopar went racing, they were thinking Hemi, not Smallblock.
You want to build grocery getter engines, then you have to deal with all the problems associated with them.

Yeah but then you still end up with a plennum, I would prefer it to be an individual runner system.
But then using a tunnel ram base would work out cheaper than having a manifold fabbed up

You don't have the plenum when you remove the top, just the runners. I've got one here that's going to use efi throttle bodies, but a dedicated manifold would be nice.

Not much benefit to having a big-port head on an engine that will rarely see over 4000 RPM and needs stump-pulling torque for doing truck things.
That's why people like diesel trucks makes peak hp close to driving speeds.
Yeah the 5.7L Hemi is put in trucks and they have giant head ports but those engines don't pull down low like a 5.9L Magnum does.
My 5.9l pulls pretty hard for what it is

You don't have the plenum when you remove the top, just the runners. I've got one here that's going to use efi throttle bodies, but a dedicated manifold would be nice.
Gotcha, depends on the design/manufacturer I suppose. last tunnel ram I had a good look at was a GM one wich had the runners & plenum cast together with a removable top plate.
Could get a bit cramped with the runners all bunched together.

I'm still waiting for someone, ANYONE, to show me these "60 years of race winning engines" that vizard has claimed to build. I'm beginning to think hes just another story teller/book writer, looking for easy bucks on a YouTube channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back