Dead stock bottom end quickness

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A super on the cheap thread.

With your dead stock bottom end, how fast did ya go?

No piston changes now. Though I do think a rebuilt bottom end is fine to include since the old mills may very well have needed to have it done. Just replacement pistons are OK for this thread.

I have also noted that some guys are slick, and, well I'll have to give it up for you guys swapping in later/earlier year slugs from one 318 to another or a 440 slug into a 400 is pretty slick, it is a grey area and has room for argument. Lets not split hairs and get silly over this. Lets keep it simple.

Stock bottom ends with only a replacement slug used at the same ratio that was in there to start with.
(Leeway? Later/earlier year stock pistons that were a OE issue. Not a replacement high comp slug like a KB ICON or JE etc.... and such.)

OK Ladies and Gents, include DETAILS!!!!

Remember, your helping a fellow MoPar brother and sister out here!

I read you can swap pistons with out valve reliefs to the opposite bank. The pink is slightly offset so this will but the piston top up slightly in the bore.

This is not a mopar but a guy hear runs a ford the car runs mid 9,s and the bottom end is all stock.He go,s to the junkyard and gets them for 75.00 and when one go's he transfers the top end to a norther bottom end.He said he go,s through two or three bottom ends a year. Mark

I read you can swap pistons with out valve reliefs to the opposite bank. The pink is slightly offset so this will but the piston top up slightly in the bore.

It gives the rods a little better of an angle on the crank. Makes more power where rules require stock pistons.

2-1/2 hours. thats daring. Nice car. I ran a stock bottom end 440, Honed and polished myself. 9-1 comp. probably less, they sat down low in the hole., small cam stock 452 heads in a 71 challenger auto 3.91. ran a best 11.90

2 combos.1st ,dirt cheap.Atlas stock short block.T/Q as per the D/C book.Performer manifold.Crower Baja Beast cam(204/[email protected],.421/.441 lift).Bowl worked,1.88/1.60 valves,REAL VALVE JOB done(.001 on runout gauge on 45). Hooker headers.R/R converter,3:55s. 13:61@101 at Famoso in90 degree heat.
2nd re-ringed 360.915 castings,!.88/.160 moderate 90% throat work.Serious g/match.TORKER 2 340 Crower hyd flat tappet.,now know as Ultra Street Beast.223/[email protected],112 l/c.Hooker Comps,4:10's,G.E.R 3600 stall.Sacto speedway,ran 12.20's@108,ton of tire slippage,with worn out slicks.

2 combos.1st ,dirt cheap.Atlas stock short block.T/Q as per the D/C book.Performer manifold.Crower Baja Beast cam(204/[email protected],.421/.441 lift).Bowl worked,1.88/1.60 valves,REAL VALVE JOB done(.001 on runout gauge on 45). Hooker headers.R/R converter,3:55s. 13:61@101 at Famoso in90 degree heat.
2nd re-ringed 360.915 castings,!.88/.160 moderate 90% throat work.Serious g/match.TORKER 2 340 Crower hyd flat tappet.,now know as Ultra Street Beast.223/[email protected],112 l/c.Hooker Comps,4:10's,G.E.R 3600 stall.Sacto speedway,ran 12.20's@108,ton of tire slippage,with worn out slicks.

Bomber, I'm hanging out with you next time I'm your way!

14.99 stock 360 from pick your part wieand xcellerator intake 4777 holley points dist with msd 5 box 904 with trans go tf2 kit column shift 70 b body 2.76 gears changed to 391 went slower 1530s motor was done way before the end of the track...

73 duster with a 68 383 only changed the camshaft and intake. The camshaft was a 284 / .480 trw bought at the local Big A auto parts. The intake was a edelbrock performer with a 750 holley dp. The car was a dailey driver 3400lbs plus with the tool box in the trunk, it had 3.91 gears with pro trac 60's. Ran 8.00 1/8 th mile.

12.30's wheels up...STOCK 89 360 bottom end running on 87 pump puke...3400lbs, 4 speed street car...Driven 2.5 hours to the track, air down the tires, beat the snot out of it, drive home

But you didn't say what you did in order to do it. Help a MoPar brother and sister out by stating what went on. What is the scoop? What parts did you use.

So much for the details.............The picture of the car is huge!

the "scoop" is in my original post, how detailed can someone get about a stock bottom end combo if its "stock"?

hydraulic roller, RHS heads, air gap, 750HP, 4.10's, 28x12.5 et street..nothing fancy, just like my original post stated....simple bolt on's really

better?
Which cam are you running?

I am really interested in this thread. Currently in the process of rebuilding a 1972 360. The "J" heads are off and ready to go to the machine shop. I have purchased a windage tray and adjustable rockers from fellow FABO members. Hoping to leave the bottom end stock and get 12.40`s out of the motor. Cam suggestions??

On a dead stock 318 bottom end I went 12.54............

OOPS....my bad, here we go....

In reality the engine is a junk yard, jig-saw build...

1980 standard bore block, crank from 71 318 from D600 truck, 273 rods cast pistons, angle milled 360 heads with 2.02, 1.6 valves, Comp Cams XTQ281S-6 cam, Eddy TorquerII intake, Holley DP750, Thorley 'D'-Dart headers, in 65 Barracuda, 4500 rpm stall vert, 904, 4.88 gears

This is not a mopar but a guy hear runs a ford the car runs mid 9,s and the bottom end is all stock.He go,s to the junkyard and gets them for 75.00 and when one go's he transfers the top end to a norther bottom end.He said he go,s through two or three bottom ends a year. Mark
Going fast without spending alot of money is cool. One thing that gets over looked is safety. Running 9s on a stock shortblock is certainly possible and I've seen at least one Ford racer doing that with a mod motor and a super charger. I'd be concerned about ventilating the block, especially near the end of the track. If your going over 130 or so and there is suddenly oil and engine parts under your tires you have a big problem.

I am really interested in this thread. Currently in the process of rebuilding a 1972 360. The "J" heads are off and ready to go to the machine shop. I have purchased a windage tray and adjustable rockers from fellow FABO members. Hoping to leave the bottom end stock and get 12.40`s out of the motor. Cam suggestions??

Call Brian at IMM engines, tell him what you want do, and you will not be disappointed. He will give you ideas for the build, and he can spec you a camshaft that I gurantee will do what you want, and if it can't be done with the parts you have (which im sure it can) he will tell you straight

good luck

Call Brian at IMM engines, tell him what you want do, and you will not be disappointed. He will give you ideas for the build, and he can spec you a camshaft that I gurantee will do what you want, and if it can't be done with the parts you have (which im sure it can) he will tell you straight

good luck
Thanks for the info. I looked up their website and will be contacting them today.

There has been many a person who took stock bottom end 360/400/440, few bolt ons, a metric ton of spray, and ran HARD by just watching the tune....EASY stock bottom end combo, and if you blow it up, another ride to the local u-pull is all you need lol

-
Back