Decision time: To Hemi Dart or not to Hemi Dart?

-

savoy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am at a point of making a decision of whether to continue with my Hemi Dart clone build or to say enough and part out the car. The dart is solid. All the metal work is done including the mini tubs, wheel wheels, shock tower modification and a complete US Car stiffening package installed along with a period correct 4 point roll bar. It sits on a real B body Dana, hemi modified k frame and new KH front disc package. I have new Gary Ball seats, mounts and a pile of dart specific parts, including a new Mopar 4.5 bore block and original 68 maganisium crossram manifold with matching Hollies. All told, I probably have close to $25K in the build as it sits. Here is the issue: Originally I was going to put a $13K 572 crate motor in the car...now that is not available and the cheapest hemi build I can find is around $21K with my block and manifold. So to my questions: Do I stick another 40K in the build and end up with a $70K Dart that is worth maybe $50,000 when I am done....or do I cut my loses, part out the car and walk away? If I chose this option what would the body alone be worth? I know I can sell the parts off, but wonder about the value of the body as it sits? I think I am between a rock and a very hard spot. Thanks for listening to me whine. All opinions would be appreciated.

ya can't build the motor cheaper then that? why do you have a block if you were going crate?

tough call.. how about dropping a modern hemi in it? or maybe a stroked big block? kinda a ***** to get rid of it all after all the work and parts you bought.. doubt you'll get anywhere near your money back..

Hey guys. I am at a point of making a decision of whether to continue with my Hemi Dart clone build or to say enough and part out the car. The dart is solid. All the metal work is done including the mini tubs, wheel wheels, shock tower modification and a complete US Car stiffening package installed along with a period correct 4 point roll bar. It sits on a real B body Dana, hemi modified k frame and new KH front disc package. I have new Gary Ball seats, mounts and a pile of dart specific parts, including a new Mopar 4.5 bore block and original 68 maganisium crossram manifold with matching Hollies. All told, I probably have close to $25K in the build as it sits. Here is the issue: Originally I was going to put a $13K 572 crate motor in the car...now that is not available and the cheapest hemi build I can find is around $21K with my block and manifold. So to my questions: Do I stick another 40K in the build and end up with a $70K Dart that is worth maybe $50,000 when I am done....or do I cut my loses, part out the car and walk away? If I chose this option what would the body alone be worth? I know I can sell the parts off, but wonder about the value of the body as it sits? I think I am between a rock and a very hard spot. Thanks for listening to me whine. All opinions would be appreciated.
I'd go Gen III hemi.

I have no clue what is involved with a gen 3 hemi build. I have the block as part of an earlier deal. As far as recouping my money...realistically the question becomes how much more do I want to lose rather than taking my loss now. I am very aware of the lose-lose situation I find myself in at the moment and it sucks!

I have no clue what is involved with a gen 3 hemi build. I have the block as part of an earlier deal. As far as recouping my money...realistically the question becomes how much more do I want to lose rather than taking my loss now. I am very aware of the lose-lose situation I find myself in at the moment and it sucks!
if you already have the block, you should be able to build it out cheaper than 21,000.

curious - does it HAVE to be a Hemi? why not a 440? I can't see getting as far as you have and quitting.. besides, the car was never going to be worth as much or more than you have into it - and you knew that. Suck it up and finish it.

depends on how much power you want. You can get into a modern Gen 3 hemi for under 3 grand for a street stock one, up to about 10-12 grand for 600+ hp.

If you are building this car for yourself, you shouldn't be so concerned about value. I agree that you should be able to build a Hemi for less than 21k. Also, it's hard to get your money back from a partially completed car. I bought my Dart that was in pieces, but supposedly complete. I had to buy another car just to get all I needed. Plus, you've modified it to your tastes. Not many people will want a car with the cut wheel wells, unless they are seeing your vision. So if you still love the idea of having a Hemi Dart, you should follow through.

Hemis are expensive, but you can build them cheaply if you're creative.
Use a 440 crank, bush down a set of 440 rods. Used race pistons can be found cheaply, and cylinder heads can be had for around $2000 ready to drop on and go.
The most expensive part of the whole build will be in rockers and hardware, and even there $2000 will get you everything you need.
I built these engines for a song back when I was street racing, and then later running match race Nitro cars.
Creativity will go a long way with those things

if it were me
i would keep plugging away at it, ignoring the engine for now untill one pops up on craigslist (or here)

when do you think the car would be done...not counting the engine?

you have at least until then to put the parts you allready have on there while you look for an engine

as for a modern hemi, if your going to go that far past the original vision you may as well drop an LS1 in it
(and i dont want you to do that, im just trying to point out how silly it is to try and get it "correct" and then renig on the engine)

You already have spent your money for it to be a clone. You know you will never recoup your investments. There are already hundreds of clones out there, so I say to you just build it the way you want to it is your money. So you go ahead and finish it the way you want and enjoy it. Just remember that when all is said and done it will still be just a fixed up dart. So just enjoy what you have and don't let others influence your decision because it was your money that paid for it and unless someone is going to fund the rest of your build, just do what you want to it. IMHO

Finish it. Maybe like others have said, do a stroked big block, maybe a 400/451. You can probably finish one of those for a lot less than the 13k you initially budgeted putting you ahead of budget at the finish line with a cool ride

You've gone this far and it would be a shame to let your dream slip away. Two years ago I was where you are today. I lost all desire to finish the build. I set the project aside and waited for the "desire" to come back.

I've always had good luck buying parts from"racingingjunk.com". There are a couple of 426 Gen II Hemis in the $13K - $14K range on there right now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for all the replies. Many echo thoughts that I have already have considered. I do know one thing, if I finish it, it will have a hemi. Now it is just a matter of determining if the wanting is better than the having. In this case I am afraid it will be. Appreciate your input.

Thanks for all the replies. Many echo thoughts that I have already have considered. I do know one thing, if I finish it, it will have a hemi. Now it is just a matter of determining if the wanting is better than the having. In this case I am afraid it will be. Appreciate your input.
its only money. You can't take it with you and who knows what people will do with it after you're gone. May as well live your dreams if you can afford them. Just my two penny's worth

While it may cost a bit up front, you'll have a lot of fun with it when it's finished. Don't build it as a trailer queen. Make it a bad *** street strip car and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did!

IMG_0179.JPG

Last edited:
I'd finish it..and WOULD NOT!! put a modern(wannabe) hemi in it ..put a "real hemi"in it :usflag::usflag::usflag:

-
Back