Decision To Own A Handgun

-

doc540

Reaction score
For years I've taught a handgun "SAFETY" class. Not license to carry. Not self defense.

My class teaches how to handle, load, unload, stand, hold, aim, shoot, SECURE, and clean a handgun. Two hours of classroom with high end airsoft, then one hour on the range with 6 different handguns in multiple calibers. I have a 100% success rate so far!

Most of my students are women with little or no experience. Most are looking for a self defense option.

Here are some helpful tips I've learned over the years:

SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING - GET SAFETY INSTRUCTION FIRST

1. SHOOT BEFORE YOU BUY - most often someone hauls off and buys a handgun only to find they can't operate it or shoot it competently. Find a place that rents handguns or seek out an experienced shooter who will let you shoot MULTIPLE types of guns in MULTIPLE calibers. Just because it's small and your favorite color doesn't mean one can operate it. Usually, the smaller it is, the harder it is to shoot and the more recoil it has.

2. DO NOT CHOOSE IT FOR YOUR WIFE - again, too many times a husband has chosen a handgun for a wife. First, it wasn't HER decision. Second, what a husband THINKS a wife can or should shoot often times turns out to be NOT what she can or should shoot. See #1.

3. KEEP IT SIMPLE - for new, inexperienced shooters a complex firearm with several features can be overwhelming. "Gun guys" typically give too much information and too many options to new shooters. It's like driver's education: don't discuss heel and toe shifting/cornering until someone learns which is the brake and which is the gas.

4. CONFIDENCE and COMPETENCE matter more than anything else. Caliber, size, revolver, semi, etc. are all less important than "Can I shoot this accurately, quickly, and confidently?". Six misses with a larger caliber aren't as good as 2 accurate hits with something I'm comfortable with.

5. IT MUST BE FUN and PRACTICED - if it's not FUN and COMFORTABLE to shoot, no one will practice regularly. Practice is ESSENTIAL, not optional. The proverbial momma lion and maternal instinct will not just kick in under HIGH STRESS and perform well. Under high stress we fall back to some limited measure of how we've practiced.

Hope this helps someone.

Examples of a typical class:

train 7.9.17c.jpg

train 8.7.16 fay julie.jpg

train eason3.jpg

Last edited:
From a few people I've talked to at some of the sport shops in different areas of the country, women are not buying little girly guns. They are buying large caliber side arms, and they are learning to use them.

From a few people I've talked to at some of the sport shops in different areas of the country, women are not buying little girly guns. They are buying large caliber side arms, and they are learning to use them.

My experience is they're buying some of everything (and buy a LOT of them), but most often small, semiauto .380's which require a lot of practice to master due to their recoil, small grips, and short sight radius.

Very few first time shooters are comfortable with micro 9mm's.

When my wife was looking to carry after becoming a Real Estate Agent, we went to an indoor range and "rented" a few different ones. She ended up choosing the S&W Model 60 revolver. Easy to use, but a big heavy, however that helps with the recoil. Funny, we were just talking today about finding a local range and getting in some practice. We recently moved and haven't searched for one yet. I carry a S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

When my wife was looking to carry after becoming a Real Estate Agent, we went to an indoor range and "rented" a few different ones. She ended up choosing the S&W Model 60 revolver. Easy to use, but a big heavy, however that helps with the recoil. Funny, we were just talking today about finding a local range and getting in some practice. We recently moved and haven't searched for one yet. I carry a S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

Excellent choice. SAFE, dependable, adequate caliber, and concealable.

A ballet instructor had wrist damage so she couldn't regularly practice with a .38.

I found her a rare S&W .32 revolver which she really enjoys shooting now.

train monique6.jpg

When I first started dating my wife, I took her to the range to shoot some of my guns. When she got to my Browning 380 auto, she fell in love with it. When we got married, first thing she said was where's the Browning, It's mine. Has had it with her ever since.

Nice! Good to know it was a good choice. She's very comfortable with it. My wife practices with .38 and once in a while with .357 ($). Always keep it loaded with .357.

Idaho changed their permits to satisfy WA and other states. When I got my earlier, "back then the only" permit, there was probably 30-40 % of my class of ?? 40 were women. A few years ago when I upgraded to the newer Idaho "enhanced" permit there was MORE WOMEN than men in the class!!

This was the enhanced target I shot up at varying ranges with my beat up old Ruger MK I with no rear sight LOL. On a side note, a youngster (I'm 69) with a brand new Ruger SR22 was all over the paper. he noticed, LOL, how well I did

_MG_7750rcs.JPG

Nice! Good to know it was a good choice. She's very comfortable with it. My wife practices with .38 and once in a while with .357 ($). Always keep it loaded with .357.

I'm not that guy that will tell you you're doing it wrong, ok?

Just consider that in a confined space (home, garage, car, etc) a .357 Magnum may temporarily blind and deafen the shooter. Also, it's not easy to recover from their recoil when making multiple shots. Some of the new .38 Special ammo (like Hornady Critical Defense) perform really well in self defense roles.

muzzle flash 357a.jpg

When I first started dating my wife, I took her to the range to shoot some of my guns. When she got to my Browning 380 auto, she fell in love with it. When we got married, first thing she said was where's the Browning, It's mine. Has had it with her ever since.

Lucky girl got one of the sweetest shooters of all time! :eek:

I'm not that guy that will tell you you're doing it wrong, ok?

Just consider that in a confined space (home, garage, car, etc) a .357 Magnum may temporarily blind and deafen the shooter. Also, it's not easy to recover from their recoil when making multiple shots. Some of the new .38 Special ammo (like Hornady Critical Defense) perform really well in self defense roles.

View attachment 1715102259
Intersting....

Thanks @doc540, I didn't realize there were better choices out there! I'll definitely have her try them!!!!!
I know .357 is a tad pricey, but truly You should sight in and practice with the actual cartridges You're carrying, choose one and stick with it. If You want to run .38 through
the Chiefs Special, that's fine, but carry that. I remember a study, doc probably knows the one, after a shoot-out in CA and a couple officers lost Their lives that pointed
to this as a primary factor. Like doc said, most will be fairly close range if (God forbid) She has to, the Officers on the other hand could be shooting half a small parking lot
away. The conclusion (think this was '72?) was They couldn't hit the side of a barn so to speak, with tragic consequences.

My wife also chose to buy a Brownind BDA 380 as her 1st handgun over 20 yrs ago. She a absolutely loves it. And is a pretty damn good shot.

Pat

My wife also chose to buy a Brownind BDA 380 as her 1st handgun over 20 yrs ago. She a absolutely loves it. And is a pretty damn good shot.

Pat
I have been raised around guns all my life on the farm. When I took C.C.C many yrs ago, to make it legal, there was a few weman in the class. I don`t see how one of them got her license, she had absolutely NO business w/ a gun of any kind! My wife and her sister have them too, and that is kind of scart itself ! Her dad, even worse. Not every "good" person should have one !

My wife carries my Springfield XD .45 with a 5 inch barrel.She doesn't shoot.One day I too her out to the range and she shoot 3 cartridges in the bullsame eye lower left and put the gun down and asked me if I'd quit bugging her about shooting!

I have been raised around guns all my life on the farm. When I took C.C.C many yrs ago, to make it legal, there was a few weman in the class. I don`t see how one of them got her license, she had absolutely NO business w/ a gun of any kind! My wife and her sister have them too, and that is kind of scart itself ! Her dad, even worse. Not every "good" person should have one !

Very true Bob. I observed similar things when I took my ccw classes. Interestly, the woman in the class were very focused and clearly taking it seriously. However, there were a couple macho men cowboys that seemed to think they knew it all. Total posers. Definitely not the kind of guys that represent gun owners in a positive light. And my teenage twin daughters would out shoot them any day! LOL

Pat

depending on the situation, i either carry a taurus 709 or a ruger SR9

the taurus is concealable and easy to carry even without a holster

the ruger is full framed and heavier BUT i can handle it very comfortable even with working gloves on

there were a couple macho men cowboys that seemed to think they knew it all. Total posers. Definitely not the kind of guys that represent gun owners in a positive light.

Pat

there were a few of those in my class to, the kind that walked into the room open carrying
obviously not the instructors favorite students

I qualified with a M1911 in the Marines and that was a kick to fire, thin grip, heavy and the barrel bushing was so loose you could rattle the barrel when you shook it. After 3 years, they finally went to the Baretta M9 9mm and shooting that was like a cap gun compared to the old 'stovepipe' M1911. We called it the stovepipe because every 3rd case failed to eject and ended up stuck on top looking like a chimney.

-
Back