Decisions Decisions Decisions....

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
Pulled the heads off my 5.9 magnum a couple days ago and I noticed that some of the piston tops were clean

while other piston tops had some build up and burnt flaky oily carbon build up.

I also noticed that while spinning the flex plate (it spins freely) that two of the cylinder walls get very oily.

I figure I will have to re-ring the pistons at the very least. But as long as I'm going in there, what else should I do? I might as well get higher Compression pistons and a new cam ground but I have an a/c, power brakes car so that limits the compression right? I'm not trying to build s racer but as long as I'm going in there, I might as well improve upon stock and add some performance. I don't want to go crazy, I want to drive this car in city traffic.

I have money aside for this project and am considering the EQ heads. I have a Prefessional Products Crosswind Intake. I also have a couple four barrel carbs (an edelbrock 1406 and a Holley 4160) laying around from my last few ford projects. But I'll buy a new carb if I need too.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide on pistons and cam right now. What do you guys think?

Just a daily driver. But as long as I'm putting in new rings, I figured I'd give it a few mild performance upgrades.

I keep looking up different pistons and I can't seem to find the info I need. What is the standard piston cc volume? For the Magnum 360? I see pistons from -23 to +12 cc but I don't know what the standard cc is and I've done quite I few Google and FABO searches.

I'd save the piston money and do some other upgrades instead. If you want more compression, it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to just use some thinner head gaskets.

The EQ heads also have 58cc chambers vs the stock 61-64cc deals, so you can add a little compression there as well, and they make a good clip more power. I would highly recommend getting the EQ heads with the LA style intake pattern, as it really opens up the intakes you can run, including the LA style RPM intake, which is hands down superior to the Pro Products deal.

Cam is hydraulic roller so a shelf grind is only marginally cheaper than a custom. Get the custom so it does what you want it to do.

The EQ heads also have 58cc chambers vs the stock 61-64cc deals, so you can add a little compression there as well, and they make a good clip more power. I would highly recommend getting the EQ heads with the LA style intake pattern, as it really opens up the intakes you can run, including the LA style RPM intake, which is hands down superior to the Pro Products deal.

Do they typically CC out to 58?
Everywhere I read they are 62-64cc, even the individual at AAmidwest,when I called approx. a month ago,said they CC to 64 typically?

--------
INTAKE RUNNER VOLUME 172CC
COMBUSTION CHAMBER VOLUME 62CC
INTAKE VALVE 1.920" EXHAUST VALVE 1.624

http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/eq-cylinder-heads/chrysler-magnum-head/
----
"The heads are cast in Australia, using a technique that produces an exceptionally smooth port surface for more flow and power, with 172cc intake runners and 62cc combustion chambers."

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/te...all_block/enginequest_318b_cylinder_head.html
----
IRON RAM -BARE HEAD- LA STYLE INTAKE

HI-PERFORMANCE 62CC IRON S.BLOCK NEW CASTING! (MAGNUM STYLE ROCKERS)

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...biB3LyAiTEEiIFN0eWxlIEludGFrZQ==&partid=24235

I would highly recommend getting the EQ heads with the LA style intake pattern, as it really opens up the intakes you can run, including the LA style RPM intake, which is hands down superior to the Pro Products deal.

I was going to go with the Professional Products intake for two reasons but let me know if there are not very good reasons please. 1) because I already have one (but I also have a Weiand intake and would buy the edelbrock if you thought it really is worth it.) And 2) because I like the look of the v belt setup and I was told that it was the only intake that I could use with the v-belt. Actually, now that I write that out, it occurs to me that the LA has the v-belt so it should work with any of the intakes if I go with the LA bolt patten

You know that you can't use the LA intake with Magnum heads right?
Just checkin.....

LX guy, his rings or cylinders are worn. He needs to do something.

You know that you can't use the LA intake with Magnum heads right?
Just checkin.....

LX guy, his rings or cylinders are worn. He needs to do something.

Well, if it needs bored, he's buying pistons of course, but if not...

I guess I bought mine from Hughes, but they did cc out to a shade over 58 cc. The mags at the time were also touting 58cc, but maybe that was something Hughes did in their 'prep'.

Steve

as it really opens up the intakes you can run, including the LA style RPM intake, which is hands down superior to the Pro Products deal

What makes the Edelbrock so much better? I own multiples of both & the Edelbrock requires more work to use with it's combo of late LA & Magnum fittings that are in the wrong place for LA stuff & Magnum stuff too It really only works with serpentine

Is it that it's an Edelbrock so it is superior That's BS

As the response was about using the LA style bolt pattern intakes, I'm speaking of the LA style RPM Air Gap intake. The LA version uses LA style attachments, and works with V-belts no problem.

The manufacturing quality on the Edelbrock is far superior to the PP. The port and runner volume is more consistent. In addition, the plenum and runners are larger on the Edelbrock, which makes more horsepower.

How does the intake gasket affect which belt it runs?

I run LA style gaskets.

If you really want to have fun, lay a set of intake gaskets on a motor, install and torque down a pro products intake. Score the exposed portions of the gasket so you will be able to line it up as it was installed on the motor. Remove the intake, line the gasket up against the intake using the score marks, and behold the incredible mismatch…

incredible difference huh I never noticed it with the Magnum gaskets it seems to line up perfect with at least the two I have now, I've used 9 others without problems too

I must be the luckiest SOB in the world along with all the others who use them

I must be the luckiest SOB in the world along with all the others who use them

Or you're simply missing out on power and don't know it. The Pro Products will function, just not nearly as well. The little details add up, but by all means keep running the PP intake. The Chinese will appreciate it and so will the Chevy guys.

Anyone can align a gasket to an intake when its not in the car. How does it ride torqued down?

Here's a couple of pics of a pro products when using the above methods to determine how it actually aligned with the gasket when torqued. The gaskets were lined up with the ports on the heads, then silicone spotted into place. The intake was installed, torqued and scored so that I could see port alignment after removal.

IMG_0515.jpg

Not hoe the port on the left is actually dead heading into the port divider. Not also how it is significantly larger both top and bottom than the port beside it, but not as wide.

Similar misalignment on the other side.

IMG_0516.jpg

At the same time I did some pics of the edelbrock intake. I'll have to dig to find them, but suffice to say, the difference in port consistency and alignment vs. the pro products was obvious and staggering.

It appears that you wallowed the bolt holes on some LA intake gaskets to do this experiment

I just got done flowing some intakes I had around the shop. I have done it before, but I could not sleep last night so I go busy in the shop at 2am. These are all SBM intakes

Here is what I found. All flow numbers are average as inner and outer runners flow different.

Mopar M1 Gasket matched 288cfm

Edelbrock Victor 340 out of the box 254cfm

Indy Single plane W5/360-1 some porting 375cfm

Mopar W2 Single plane gasket match 296cfm

Edelbrock Super Victor Gasket matched 331cfm

Crosswind out of the box 225cfm

Crosswind Gasket matched 257cfm

Edelbrock RPM out of the box 242cfm

Weiand Stealth Gasket matched 272cfm

Take these as they are. The flow may not be exact to some other shops bench, but they were all done on the same bench and that will at least show the flow difference between the intakes. Enjoy .
Thank MRL... If you have an Pro Products, use it. Ran both,the LA Eddy Air Gap shows an advantage.
(On bigger than stock Magnum based heads.) Both work, one can work better in certain situations.

Abodybomber, that it so cool that you took the time to flow test all of those intakes. I'm sure that people will be referring to this thread for years simply for that info. I also have a Weiand intake 8002 but I can't find any info on it. Is it the same as the Weiand Stealth?

BTW Abodybomber thank you for your research it is most helpful
What gasket was the Crosswinds matched to?

Don't thank me,thank Mike at MRL Performance here, I apologize for any missed funk there. Send Mike at MRL the kudos,the credit & the questions.

-
Back