Defrost hose question...

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
I just finished rebuilding my heater box. The defrost hoses were not original and did not fit. Here's what I don't understand. The heater box outlets are two different sizes: 2" and 2 1/4". The dash vents are 2 1/2". What am I missing here?

I`ve noticed that disparity too. Well, the tubes are not different from what I can see, at least not on my car. I guess the clips on the connections compensate for any variation in the outlet and inlet sizes.

I have OEM hoses here and one end of one is larger. Just a tiny difference in the duct work anywhere would defrost the drivers side faster . In that is their reasoning and which goes where.

Yes that is the reason for the two different size holes. The larger hole is so that more of the heat is channeled to the drivers side part of the windshield for better defrosting.

That makes sense. So, how did the factory keep a 2 1/2" hose (if that's what it was) on a 2" fitting?

That one hose is larger on one end only.

The port on the heater box for the drivers side measures pretty close to 2 and 1/8 give or take a bit. The hose will slip over that and actually stay on the port. The factory used a clip that attached to the inside of the hose and had a outside grip that grabbed the outside of the port. I don't use them because they are a pain to get off the heater box if you ever want to remove the hose and then you run the risk of tearing the hose. They have some barbs that really bite into the box and also the hose. Those original hoses were pretty thin almost paper like material and you could tear them pretty easy. The passenger side port is the smaller of the two and that hose is just 2 inch inside diameter. I have a spare one of those that's NOS if anyone is looking for the factory replacement.

Bothe hoses have a flared end that is for the dash vents. But the other ends are of two different diameters to match the outlet ports on the heater box. The hoses are not adjustable. The ends are made to fit their perspective ends.

You would think after all these years someone would have come up with a more rigid plastic tubing to use there. Where is that gerbil maze we had ? LOL

I just had the same encounter with the dash vents. The hoses actually go inside the fittings on the dash. I had my dash cluster removed for some gauge repairs, and it was very easy to install the hose before putting the cluster back in. Mine is a 68 Dart.
Hope this helps

Ed

-
Back