deglazing cylinders

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
First how do I check if the cylinders are glazed and second how do I remove it without having to take it in and spend 160 dollars on honing and new rings? thanks!

Typically a deglaze usually means having thre block honed. If the bores have gone smooth and shiney, they need to be rehoned. You're going to need new rings too. My advise is to have the blocked honed by a shop, and find one who has a torque plate for a SBM. You'll finish up with a much better engine if you do.

Run your finger up the bore.if you feel a ridge at the top a bore may be in order.

If you're doing a rering, deglazing is a requirement. Since the cylinders will not be worn to match the new rings, THAT'S why deglazing is necessary. It's more about giving the new rings some "tooth" to break in against and wear to, not "just" breaking the glaze. You'll want to hone at a rate of about one second bottom to top and back to bottom again to acheive that optimal 60* cross hatch pattern. You can do it with a "dingleberry" ball hone, but the best thing to use is a regular 3 stone adjustable hone. Of course, all this is takin for granted the cylinders all mic good where they are now and have enough meat left to hone.

Take green scotchbrite and wrap it around the 3-stone flex hone, using WD40 for cutting fluid. You cannot get a good surface for moly rings with and hand hone of any type. They are too abrasive. You have very low miles on that engine as I recall. You want to clean the hone pattern that already existis, and put a very fine hone pattern on the existing wall surface. That's how I do that. It leaves the bore size unchanged and the new rings seat fine. If you have to use the honing stone then use gear oilo to lubricate them and do not look to get a fresh new hone pattern. By the time you do that, you've enlarged the bore too far and very unevenly.

hi, use a 320 grit ball hone and motor oil to hone bores. it will not remove any material. just removes glaze and puts a very nice surface finish on bores. this works very well for moly rings. hone untill there is a slurry in the bore. wash bores with hot water n soap, scrub clean. spray wd 40 in bores. final cleaning, use a paper towel and ATF to really clean bores before assembly.

Run your finger up the bore.if you feel a ridge at the top a bore may be in order.

doubt it, less than 700 miles since last time it was bored, not happening with .40 over pistons already

thanks Moper and Prefacer exactly what I was looking for, other guys thanks as well!

-
Back