Demon vs Holley (who do you like best)

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Gentlemen, iam running a 600 eddy on my beefed up 318, but the carb is getting old and tired(Guess it needs a rebuild) A thought crossed my mind to buy a 650 holley or maybe a demon?. I have never ran a demon carb, are they good for the street? or they more for the strip? They look like a holley, which carb is better? is 650 to big for a 318? if so i will get the eddy rebuildt Thanks in advance Newathis

I like the Demons, have one on my car. It's all Holley based and all Holley parts work in them but they do have a few features that set them apart.

As for size I'd get a 750 vacuum secondary model for your engine.

Demon and Holley carbs are extremely similar. Tuning difficulty I would say is just about dead on the same for both carbs. I lean towards Demons just because I have an 850 annular on my 440 and have been very pleased with it.

I like the Demons, have one on my car. It's all Holley based and all Holley parts work in them but they do have a few features that set them apart.

As for size I'd get a 750 vacuum secondary model for your engine.
Thanks for the information gentlemen, it seems that demons and holleys are very close, but you said that they do have a few features that set them apart, what would those features be? Thanks for all information, i like to learn Newathis

Seems to me I've seen Hollies going with the bowl sight glass for setting the float levels, that's one thing about the Demons I always liked. I've also got a 750 Demon vacuum secondary, choke linkage and flapper removed, that I might let go for the right price. Went to a double pumper.

Holley all the way, I have had one bad experience with demon and have heard of others having issues with the Barry Grant Demons. Quality issues when the carbs are made, like casting sand still inside. Cousin had a brand new Demon on his fresh 360 and it leaked all over his new intake because the base-plate was damaged/warped. Could be wrong, Im sure people have had problems with Holley's too but I have had real good luck with them and they are cheaper than a Demon.

depends on what level of carbs we're talking about?

high level drag race carbs the demon has nothing over the holley.

lower level classic dbl pumper holley gives way to the demons smoother designed venturi.

the demon is supposed to mix fuel better as opposed to the entry level holley vac sec/dbl pumpers/chokeless race carbs.
get the same cfm rating as any holley[maybe not any] and you'll find you need less jet=cause it must mix the fuel better.

The other thing are the meter block calibration levels, where holley just sets them the same and doesn't tune for cam duration/profiles.

jmo

I have a 750 Mighty Demon on the top of my 408 stroker...Great carb...Haven't heard too many bad things about Demon carbs...

I like my 850 speed Demon on the 440 in my Charger. I HATED my Holley street avenger I put on my 360 in my Ramcharger. Hear some bad things about quality with the Demons, but I have not experienced any quality issues. Runs great and looks great.

It's a toss up for me also,the new demon is awesome but read and follow the instructions before installing it there are several adjustments to be made before installing it and if you follow those instructions you will be very pleased with it's performance right out of the box.yes you have to take out the air cleaner stud to work with the idle circiut but that is a good thing....for those not in the know.....keep your comments till you learn.very user friendly carb.....the holley as awesome as it has it has ever been but the demon is a bad boy also....You will love it's tunability and availability of parts

demon 1.JPG

For the 318,the carb you have 600 Eddy is hard to beat.

If you must buy a new carb,with your beefed up 318,go for a 650 AVS.

I always ran Holley's and some Carters for basically stock engines, but I got a pair of Demon 750 double pumpers on the fish and I think it was the best money I spent.

All 3 carbs have their good points and bad.

Carter/Edelbrocks are good carbs for stock and mild street engines, but a little more difficult to tune.

Holley's have great performance and are easy to tune but are notorious for leaking, especially around the throttle shafts.

Demon seams to have as good of performance if not better than Holley, and they don't seam to have the leak issues, "so far" I've only been running mine for about 8 months, but they would have been leaking by now if they were Holley's. I can't say how easy they are to tune since I haven't had to touch mine except the idle and mix screws.

Unless you have a pretty hot 318, I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 600 that's plenty of CFM for a 318

My friend has a warmed over 318 he's had great success running a 600 Edelbrock..as far as Holley or a Demon..Holley hands down,the Demon i had was a piece of trash,but when your ready for a real good carb,Quickfuel is the best out there for my money..

I do have a worked over 318 in my volare with an auto trans. I have run a 9000 series carter until the shafts fell apart and then went to a 3310 holley. Granted it is a 750 so naturaly was a little difficult to tune in but once there was great till the shaft seals went out. I did try a 650 dbl pump and it ran better but wasn't as responsive as before with the other holley. I was able to round up a 650 road demon from my father in law that had some problems with the throttle plate being warped. But after a dismantle and a lot of time was able to re-flatten and get to seal and it runs better than ever now.

F Demon carbs and F Barry Grant! Worst pile of crap carb I ever had. Also make sure you take the carb apart and check it for sand before you use it. BG also has total **** for customer service and quality control.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=77458

Go with an Eddy/Carter (same) for a daily driver. I have no problem with Holley, you can get any part almost anywhere for them I just don't like the throttle shaft bushing design when they start to piss gas all over your intake.

never have own a demon carb....only use holley for race track.

have 5 holley 750s ...and scored a deal on some holley 950s a couple of years ago.

I have an eddy 600 on my duster for street driving for the choke ....
If it goes to the track a holley 750 dp goes on it.

im running a 600 DP holley on my hot SL6 and i love it! get about 16-20mpg and takes off like a raped ape!

ive heard of some of my friends running demons and they arn't working so they break them down... they were full of metal shavings,sand... demons have a horrible quaity control but heard they are amazing once tuned.

i would just be certain if i bought a demon to pull it apart and clean the whole thing before it ever saw a car....

-
Back