Depression

-
Reaction score
Ok, I will start by saying that Im not depressed but Im sure my car is. My Duster hasnt seen daylight in one year. Exactly one year ago I parked it in a shed before I went to boot camp and she hasnt been fired up since. I sure hope she gets past the neglect and fires up next time Im home. I really miss driving through town raising hell. I hope I can get her down here soon so I can start terrorizing the streets of San Diego. One good thing is I may have found a 340 for it. I sure hope I can talk the guy into selling it.

Chin up,
We are all proud of your service and hope for the best for you.
Your car will be waiting for you when you come home.
It'll be better than ever.
Tom.

I wish it was that easy. She needs some work. Like a new radiator, fan, and battery (self induced, irresponsible teenage mischief caused that one) and new tires.

I wish it was that easy. She needs some work. Like a new radiator, fan, and battery (self induced, irresponsible teenage mischief caused that one) and new tires.

That doesn't sound to bad, find you a radiator and fan and ship it to where the Duster is, then get you a battery and a round of tires when you get there...

Let me know when you get it down. That way we can grab a beer at the Chula Vista car show on Tuesdays and I won't be the only A-Body owner. That's if you don't mind hanging out with a Navy guy.

I jut bought a radiator for$150 that seems decent. I'll let you know how it works.

No beers here. Im only 19.

Old enough for war though eh.

When I got out of bootcamp I was still 18 and my A-school was in Gulfport Mississippi. Due to the base CO's orders, 18 and up could drink at the base enlisted club as long as they stayed on base. So instead of the 18-20 yr olds driving off base and getting either arrested or DUI's, we drank at the E-Club and stumbled home safely to the barracks. Imagine the logic.

After a month waiting for a class to fill there I instead got shipped to the Port Hueneme, CA Seabee base where underage drinking was strictly forbidden. So of course people would go off base, get into trouble, and get put on restriction constantly. This would also cause people to lose their place in school and create who knows how much cost to enforce restriction and adjust orders.

seabee, very nice '66! 72duster, thank you for protecting my freedom! Throw some posts up for what you need and i think that the FABO family will give you the military discount, for sure, have 'em ship it to seabee maybe, who can put it away until you are back.

Seabee, you are trying to use logic here...
What radiator did you get? I would like to hear how it fits and works too.
C

Seabee your slide show makes me more dizzy than I already am but considering the car and your's and 72DusterOwners's profession anything is fine by me. You guys rock as do all your comrades under arms. At the risk of being taken to task by suggesting another "help thread" I would be more than willing to assist a young Marine.

If I had a yard or extra spot in the garage I would gladly store it (and drive it). There are however, military programs to store cars for deployed service members. There are also Self-serve, fully stocked auto shops on most bases and some (San Diego Navy Base for one) have parts stores that will stock or order for service members at tax free, discounted prices. The Auto Port on SDNB has deals on tires that are a steal. I'll look up all the services next time I'm at the family support center since I'm the Ombudsman for the USS Gridley.

clhyer, here's the radiator info thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=109575

They have an auto hobby shop here. Luckely I have made friends with a guy who works there (he owns a 1974 Duster, also the guy Im trying to get a 340 from). He lets me work on my Dakota for free. Lifes pretty good when you got friends. And as far as tires go, I found a place in town that is way better and cheaper than on base. I got a set of 31x10.5R15s for my Dakota with an alignment for $700.

Alright...We San Diego FABO guys gotta get together and hangout soon!

72duster, the picture you have of your Duster is great man! I am pulling for ya 10 fold to get it local! It may not be much, but if theres anything I can do to help down the road.
Seabee, Where and what time on Tuesdays? A longshot, but perhaps I could get down there soon to at least say "what up" in person! Wish you could make it up here for Grand.

It will come together. Just takes time. I could not wait to get home and work on my Dart when I was in the Navy. So I know how you fell.

I hear ya Chris. One of these nights when my wife's ship isn't pulling in on Fridays I got to get up there. Now that my overheating issue is fixed I'm not scared of it melting while cruising the strip.

The 3rd avenue "Blast From The Past" event is every Tuesday starting at around 3:30pm -8pm. It's basically cars parking on the street for 3 blocks and the little park has the featured car night. It's a pretty casual show/ cruise with classics, motorcycles, and even old lowriders.

Here's a map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Third+Ave+%26+W.+Madrona+Street,+Chula+Vista&sll=32.639275,-117.079588&sspn=0.001073,0.002411&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3rd+Ave+%26+W+Madrona+St,+Chula+Vista,+San+Diego,+California+91910&ll=32.639357,-117.079196&spn=0.008583,0.01929&z=16

There are several cruise nights here in the San Diego area. Thursdays it's in La Mesa, Friday is Escondido, El Cajon has one too. Maybe see you guys there some night!

Cudamark, I never miss Grand. Its hard not to considering I live in Escondido. Let me know if you plan to go and we can meet up to at least say hi in person!

-
Back