Desoto hemi in 67 Valiant

-
Got the front end together and on the ground. I like the stance. Old school, but not too ridiculous.

Attachments

• 994114_899721116711822_1846361554383587751_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 287
Couple more. Won't be long now. Will be driven before it's painted. got all new interior from Year One.

Attachments

• 994114_899721116711822_1846361554383587751_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 10469472_899721230045144_5788418190675964605_n.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 10525739_899721180045149_3510635888565568707_n.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 292
As someone who likes to be a little different, I'm so damned impressed I don't know what to say.

Please, please, please write down the comments you receive at shows and share here.

That engine is gonna make that valiant feel like it weighs 2 pounds.
As having owned and driven a stock 1956 330 2 barrel Desoto Hemi in the original
heavy car. I can report It had remarkable top end power that pulled effortlessly.
The hemis are truly special and smooth out so strong in the upper rpm range.

Those old DeSoto Hemi's are fairly stout.As a teenager a Buddy of mine had a 52 DeSoto with a Hemi topped off with 2 -2 Barrels.It was a 3 on the tree car and was hell on the tri 5 Chevy's and mid 50's Fords.Love your car....gives me idea's.....naaa better not.:cheers::cheers:

What a beautiful piece of engineering. I have to go bandage the bottom of my chin now from when it hit the floor.

Bill, any special tricks for the hood or are you going to hide everything under a scoop?
I'm gonna make a mold off the original hood and make a fiberglass piece with holes for all the parts that protrude above the hood line. I could get a glass hood from AAR, but it would have to be chopped up really bad. Don't plan to hide much at all.

Man oh Man you have used every bit of available space there. Way cool!!!!
It wasn't easy. It would have been easier to put in a 440. I had to raise the motor 1-1/2" to keep the exhaust off the steering box. Then cut off shock tower material to clear the valve cover on the passenger side. Part of the firewall on the same side had to be pushed in to make room for the exhaust pipe and some fender well had to be cut to clear the exhaust away from the master cylinder. The master cylinder was moved 1-1/2" away from the motor to clear the vlave cover. I did have the turbos positioned down low in a sleeper fashion, but couldn't get the exhaust out except under the K-member. That would have made the car sit too high in the front. We have a real speed bump problem here in Tucson, so I put the turbos up where they are now. The head studs were too tall for the valve covers so I made some 1/2" plates to raise them up. That made the engine even wider. The spark plugs were then too short so got some from Moon for the 392s. The 2 holes in the fender wells will now hold the catch can and water methynol tank. The system has a switch that will turn on at 2 psi boost and will turn on the cooling fan and water-methynol injection spraying directly into the compressors.

Attachments

• 10553542_899721090045158_2918272871399630517_n.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,656
Bill, I don't know you, but I'm jealous of your technical skills. Wow. There don't seem to be a lot of people around these days who can just "make stuff" like it's no big deal. Amazing.

:happy1::wav: Please post a vid of when you fire it up. I bet it has a totally unique sound.
Should be fun painten stripes on the road.

It would be a shame to cover all that up with a hood.

That engine is gonna make that valiant feel like it weighs 2 pounds.
As having owned and driven a stock 1956 330 2 barrel Desoto Hemi in the original
heavy car. I can report It had remarkable top end power that pulled effortlessly.
The hemis are truly special and smooth out so strong in the upper rpm range.
As a kid I was a Ford lover. Then my dad picked up a used 56 Desoto Firedome. It has a 330 2-bbl. One day while he was away, my buddy and I put a battery in it ( it had been sitting for several months ), and took it out on a back road blacktop. It lit up the right rear tire for quite awhile and then planted us both into the seat until the valves started floating at 120 mph. I was hooked from then on. What a tank!

Sweet!
Very impressive.
Is that considered an "A" engine?
Actually it does accept the A motor timing assembly, but that's about it. The new 5.7 hemi was actually based roughly on this one so I have read somewhere. Just about done wiring. Am modifying the quarter panel to take a Barracuda flip open gas cap right now. As soon as I get that area painted I will put in some fuel and flush the system. Just primed the oil with an external electric pump to make sure the rocker shafts have oil. Just got the battery and will mount it this weekend in the trunk. Am a dummy with computers, so an expert will help with setting up the Megasquirt. Should be running by Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed. Bill

VFN makes a fiberglass hood in bolt on or pin on. They used one of my hoods years ago for the mold. They did a write up in it in MM magazine.

-
Back