Details - Flipping Pistons earns 5,000 dollars - LITERALLY ??

Was the piston flip worth 5,000 dollars ???

• Yes! It was the .03 differnce to win !!!

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Nope, piston flip had no bearing on the race !!

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
-
I think it was the most probable to be the result fom weight that Visard removed from Tony's whole rotating assembly. He went nuts lightening the pistons,rods and crank.
As for piston flipping.... I think you'd get more results from adding a few performance parts stickers in the right places to reduce drag than flipping the pistons around.

Had the Pistons flipped for the Naches was toward the back on my 72 demon with a 71 340 in it sounded like **** because the Pistons would come up and hit the valves barely ..i guess the fly cutting on slugs doesnt line up...hmmmm..but it ran like a striped Ape....

Why did the race go the way it did.

Truck ran like absolute trash out of the hole. End of story. My mom in a walker would 60' better than that thing.

A slow trash can beat a ill prepared/tuned truck. Call me unimpressed by the whole activity.

The REAL reason is the rusted out trunk floor, that forms Jesus' face.....................

Yeah, they make bottle heaters and all that, but that’s a whole different world than spot heating it.

....and no the flipped pistons had nothin to do with nothin.

Max h/p isn't about just buying and installing parts as a lot of you understand .
The guys that get ahead, are the ones that pay attention to all the little, tiny bits of h/p to be found in the not-bought stuff, and how to get rid of parasitic h/p loss.
I understand the geometry of piston offset and the theory of the gain .
I've been doing it for decades where applicable, all breeds, all sizes.
Can I measure any one of those small enhancements, - no .
Do we win because of them, I like to believe so, - as I dust off the hardware .

Last edited:
There is no emoji here for stirring the pot.....
:lol:

Did anyone actually SEE any money change hands?

money.jpg

Page 154, really good read .
Mahle pdf

https://fdocuments.in/download/pistons-and-engine-testing.html

A piston pin offset can be used to affect the secondary movement of the piston, and there-
fore the formation of a lubricant film on the piston skirt. For this reason, a parameter study
was performed with a stepwise change in the offset, from a value of 0.5 mm toward the
antithrust side (ATS) to 0.5 mm toward the thrust side (TS).
The results of the comparison of offsets, from 0.5 mm toward the antithrust side and 0.5
mm toward the thrust side, are described below. The FMEP difference maps for fired and
motored externally charged operation, Figure 7.38, yield very different curves. This leads to
the conclusion that the piston pin offset is a parameter that is strongly dependent on the
component temperature.
In motored externally charged operation, Figure 7.38 left, there is a strong dependence of
the friction mean effective pressure difference on the peak cylinder pressure at lower speeds.
The load dependency decreases as speed increases. The greatest apparent advantage of
offsetting in the direction toward the thrust side is seen at low speed and high load.
In actual fired operation, however, Figure 7.38 right, a clear dependence on speed can be
seen for low loading. The dependence on speed drops off clearly as the load increases. The
greatest potential of the thrust-side offset for reducing friction mean effective pressure can
be detected at low load and high speed.
Figure 7.39 shows the frictional losses of the four offset variants that were tested, comparing
different speeds. The variant with an offset of 0.5 mm toward the thrust side always exhibited

7.3 Measurement of friction losses on a fired engine 155
Figure 7.39: Frictional losses for four different offsets, at different speeds and pmi = 10 bar, engine
temperature 100°C
the least frictional loss, regardless of the speed. A change in the offset in the direction of the
thrust side, or in direction of the antithrust side, causes an increase in frictional loss.

Last edited:
Page 154, really good read .
Mahle pdf

https://fdocuments.in/download/pistons-and-engine-testing.html

A piston pin offset can be used to affect the secondary movement of the piston, and there-
fore the formation of a lubricant film on the piston skirt. For this reason, a parameter study
was performed with a stepwise change in the offset, from a value of 0.5 mm toward the
antithrust side (ATS) to 0.5 mm toward the thrust side (TS).
The results of the comparison of offsets, from 0.5 mm toward the antithrust side and 0.5
mm toward the thrust side, are described below. The FMEP difference maps for fired and
motored externally charged operation, Figure 7.38, yield very different curves. This leads to
the conclusion that the piston pin offset is a parameter that is strongly dependent on the
component temperature.
In motored externally charged operation, Figure 7.38 left, there is a strong dependence of
the friction mean effective pressure difference on the peak cylinder pressure at lower speeds.
The load dependency decreases as speed increases. The greatest apparent advantage of
offsetting in the direction toward the thrust side is seen at low speed and high load.
In actual fired operation, however, Figure 7.38 right, a clear dependence on speed can be
seen for low loading. The dependence on speed drops off clearly as the load increases. The
greatest potential of the thrust-side offset for reducing friction mean effective pressure can
be detected at low load and high speed.
Figure 7.39 shows the frictional losses of the four offset variants that were tested, comparing
different speeds. The variant with an offset of 0.5 mm toward the thrust side always exhibited

7.3 Measurement of friction losses on a fired engine 155
Figure 7.39: Frictional losses for four different offsets, at different speeds and pmi = 10 bar, engine
temperature 100°C
the least frictional loss, regardless of the speed. A change in the offset in the direction of the
thrust side, or in direction of the antithrust side, causes an increase in frictional loss.
Sorry, Lol.

-
Back