Dial light wire (orange) for this AM Radio?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Saved this Mopar AM radio from a '65 Valiant I sold in 1980. The radio may have been a '64 model (dealer installed?) based on the round-style push buttons.

Anyway, my '65 Formula S wiring harness has a red wire and an orange wire coming from the fuse box for a radio. The red wire must be the hot wire, the orange wire should be for dash/display/dial lamps.

This radio with the round push buttons has three wires coming out from the drivers side of the case. Two wires (brown and brown with yellow tracer) are together, one with a male spade, the other with a female spade. I assume the brown wires are speaker wires (see foto where I plugged them into the speaker).

The third wire exiting that corner of the radio is black with a male spade, I assume that is the hot wire.

Another black wire is attached to a screw on the rear of the radio case, I assume that is the ground wire.

Observing from the outside, there are no more wires and so I find no connection for the orange dial lamp wire. The only things I can think of is the dial is always lit on this model radio, or the orange wire is missing (although I don't see where it would have exited the radio case).

Anyone use these old factory original AM radios know the scoop on the wiring? Thank you.

DSC04512.JPG

DSC04513.JPG

DSC04514.JPG

DSC04515.JPG

DSC04516.JPG

DSC04517.JPG

I would guess your assumptions are right. No separate dial light. I would thing the light would be off if the radio is. You should be able to hook an ohmeter between the power wire and ground and with the switch off it should show infinite/ open or close to it.

Those pages came out a little out of focus on my computer screen. Is the speaker impedence listed on that second foto page listed as 8 ohm? I do see wires green, black (speaker), red, and orange.

I am more convinced all the time this must be a 1964 model radio, not 1965.

Yours, I believe is a 64, round channel buttons, my 65 has flat buttons, Is there a number on the side of your radio?
Norm

My rebuilder told me the Plymouth version had a dash lighted dial while the Valiant model did not: it was on when the radio came on. I uploaded the schematic of a '65 222, may be similiar:
1965 CircuiTrace Bendix Radio

I believe that on "your radio," (by model # is definitely a 1964) the orange wire is for the light. The red wire is for power, you have the speaker wires identified right. The black wire attached to the outside of the radio chassis, might be something someone added. The black wire coming out of chassis, should be the radio ground. I tested my radio on the bench using a 12V power supply, and the wiring configuration I described. Red to the positive side of power supply (battery) black from the chassis to the negative side of the power source and that stray wire on the outside of the chassis, you might try running to the speaker frame. (not necessary, but what the heck) The orange wire would receive it's power from the headlight switch and the radio on/off control. The wires that attach to your connector (with the red and orange) should both supply power to the radio. The red should be hot with the ignition on and the orange, hot with the headlights on. I would recommend having an antenna attached. It should play.
I'm open to correction on my recommendation here.
Norm

Reading above post I am a little confused, no red or orange wire coming out of the radio case, just two brown wires and one black wire (and the other black wire on the back appears to be attached to a screw used for a radio brace).

Reading above post I am a little confused, no red or orange wire coming out of the radio case, just two brown wires and one black wire (and the other black wire on the back appears to be attached to a screw used for a radio brace).

My bad! I thought the red and orange wire attached to the connector was coming from the radio chassis. I went back and looked again. In that case, the black wire coming from the chassis, must be power in and the other black wire attached to the outside of the chassis, must be being used as a ground. As in a previous post, the light in the radio must come on, when the ignition switch is on. I went and looked at my 65 Barracuda, it has the connector you have shown in your picture...had to refresh my memory. The orange wire in your Barracuda will have no use on the 64 model radio. IMHO.
Norm.

I am going to take it to a local stereo shop where they have a tech that repairs old radios (I don't think it is working). I am trying to orient myself to how it was wired originally, that's why I'm looking for accurate information. Sometimes previous owners cut and/or splice wires and such.

The 1965 Germanium transistors (?) go bad over time and since they have not made them in ~40 years, even the NOS ones may be bad. My guy replaced the germaniums with silicons and had to change a few resistors to support the different bias of the silicons. Just remembering what he told me over the phone. But Mexican repairmen are the best: They can make anything work again. I've seen plenty of their 'work'. :)

-
Back