Did Edelbrock ever make a LD340 with a choke well?

-

HotRod20

Reaction score
I am wondering if a choke well was ever made on the LD 340's for using a TQ.
Not sure if early versions had one or not.??

HR20

Not sure if this is what you mean
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

LD340s were made with one carb flange but it's made so it can be opened up for spreadbore. As far as a choke well, the top picture is as close as you're gonna get. I guess it's made for some type of choke device.

Ok I can live with that, thanks gentlemen. :) My question was directed to the choke well for exhaust gases.
This applies to a divorced choke like the factory 68-72 340 cast iron intakes. 1973 divorced chokes went with an electric
operated unit, thereby not using exhaust gases to open the choke plate on the carb.

No siree', I only was wondering about a divorced choke well on this paricular intake.I know this intake came as a square bore,
however, there is enough meat on the carb mount to ream out the area for a TQ spreadbore.
If it only had a choke well. Otherwise its a manual choke cable for my TQ ...which I hate.

This is what you’d looking for though you’ll have to fab up your own “Z” rod to hook it up. Try a thin metal coat hanger. Be aware that they do come in various thicknesses. This one below is ridiculously expensive. Why? IDK. While it’s been a good while since I purchased one, I only paid about $30.

77346D46-204E-475A-A197-1E6CE1E90C8C.jpeg

View attachment 1715688066

From the article building Building Mopar Engines for Performance: "The original high-performance 340 intake manifold was the dual-plane Edelbrock LD340; it looks like this newer version for the A-engine. The LD-340 was designed for the standard Holley/AFB flange and updated to the spread-bore (shown) in the 1980s"
8-6.jpg

LD340s were made with one carb flange but it's made so it can be opened up for spreadbore. As far as a choke well, the top picture is as close as you're gonna get. I guess it's made for some type of choke device.
I believe a Chevy choke system. I think u have to drill 1 hole. Kim

From the article building Building Mopar Engines for Performance: "The original high-performance 340 intake manifold was the dual-plane Edelbrock LD340; it looks like this newer version for the A-engine. The LD-340 was designed for the standard Holley/AFB flange and updated to the spread-bore (shown) in the 1980s"
View attachment 1715688094

Is that article trying to say that the Performer is the replacement for the LD340? That's laughable.

Is that article trying to say that the Performer is the replacement for the LD340? That's laughable.

My son's Valiant came with a 318 and a performer on it...

We swapped an Edelbrock LD4B and Edelbrock 4 bbl on it and it ran much better... Much more low end off the line grunt and smoother....

The performer is not close...

View attachment 1715688094
The article you quote is misleading. The LD340 was not updated in the 80's to a spreadbore. It was discontinued and replaced by the Performer (shown in your pic). The Performer and LD340 are not really similar at all.

You could also go looking for an aftermarket TQ, those had an integrated choke similar to an AFB.

I am running a TQ on an MP dual plane Magnum intake and built a bracket to support the choke housing so I could run an OEM TQ that matched the car.

Parts 184.jpg

Parts 182.jpg

Parts 203.jpg

The trick is finding the choke cover. I ended up buying a complete other TQ just to get the cover.

You could also try and figure out how to put an AFB choke on a TQ.

Just some ideas. Sorry I don't have better ones.

I found choke covers for the TQ on eBay.

I have an LD340 that has been modded per Super Stock recommendations and opened up for a TQ. I found a cool way to add an International TQ choke to the LD340. I'll try to take pictures next week.

What's the deal about the "Chevy" style choke? Lots of makes used that flat style choke pad on top of the exhaust cross over and it works fine. Who gives a **** as long as it WORKS?

-
Back