Did I aquire a Mopar ????

Is this an adopted Mopar ?

• Yep, it's family - it's an adopted MOPAR

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • NO! It wasnt', and it isn't now

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
-
My first car in high school was a 73 javelin... $375 from the repo lot 2 blocks from the school.. spotted it on a lunch time walk...
Wish I had a picture...

Four pages now. Where is this junk?

My first car in high school was a 73 javelin... $375 from the repo lot 2 blocks from the school.. spotted it on a lunch time walk...
Wish I had a picture...
I like javelins...

Awesome classic AMC, not a Mopar, but nuthin' wrong with dat! LOVE those '68-'70 AMX's.....

Folks, I didn’t read all 60 comments. My take is this. If not for Jeep and of course Ram we wouldn’t be driving and or dreaming of driving: Hellcats, Scatpacks, Demons, Redeyes, or Hemi powered anything! And who wouldn’t like a Viper in their garage? Thank the heavens Jeep was acquired!

I like javelins...
Look seriously at one when I was looking for my Duster. It was just a tick out of my price range. I think it was a 72. The body was pretty straight and the paint was okay but the interior while being complete was in terrible condition. I knew it would be a long battle to get all the pieces replaced as they're not easy to find whatsoever. But I really did like that cockpit feel. I remember it fondly from when I was in high school. It did have a straight six as well but my plans for engines at that time when I got my duster was going big or going home anyways. It would have ended up with a 401.
Just like now people think the duster is a Nova when I had my javelin they thought it was a mustang LOL...
I liked the later ones with the humps on the fenders not the earlier AMX...

Renault bailed out AMC and later, Chrysler Corp bought out Renaults share. They wanted Jeep!

Look seriously at one when I was looking for my Duster. It was just a tick out of my price range. I think it was a 72. The body was pretty straight and the paint was okay but the interior while being complete was in terrible condition. I knew it would be a long battle to get all the pieces replaced as they're not easy to find whatsoever. But I really did like that cockpit feel. I remember it fondly from when I was in high school. It did have a straight six as well but my plans for engines at that time when I got my duster was going big or going home anyways. It would have ended up with a 401.
Just like now people think the duster is a Nova when I had my javelin they thought it was a mustang LOL...
I was thinking about buying a Javelin with the "humps" on the fender a few months ago. Solid, straight car. Back fin. Nice looking wheels. 304 auto. 6k. Needed paint but so do the rest of my fleet, and it had nice patina. Interior was decent as well.

When AMC got in bed with Renault it was all over
Odd how history sort of repeated itself. Chrysler acquired AMC from the French, and now the French own Chrysler. Sort of AMC being owned 2x by the French.
I consider Rambler part of the mopar family, but it is really tough to consider Pugueot part of the mopar family.
Which is another history repeating itself when you look back at Simca and Sunbeam.

Odd how history sort of repeated itself. Chrysler acquired AMC from the French, and now the French own Chrysler. Sort of AMC being owned 2x by the French.
I consider Rambler part of the mopar family, but it is really tough to consider Pugueot part of the mopar family.
Which is another history repeating itself when you look back at Simca and Sunbeam.
well, I do like French Fries, French rolls and French Toast.... other than that......

I was thinking about buying a Javelin with the "humps" on the fender a few months ago. Solid, straight car. Back fin. Nice looking wheels. 304 auto. 6k. Needed paint but so do the rest of my fleet, and it had nice patina. Interior was decent as well.
They can be cool

100_4538.JPG

100_4535.JPG

I'll happily deny Dodge before 1928 before Chrysler bought them out, as long as I can do the same for a Sears Allstate (made by Kaiser-Frazer), a Willys-Overland Whippet, or a Nash Metropolitan. Not Mopars, but cousins? OK.

Last edited:
for what its worth, Mopar and AMC fans have always had one thing in common: a dislike for Ford and GM Products.When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, The people who drove mopars tended to like Ramblers, Studebakers, and Kaisers. My Dad owned a gas station and repair shop then, and he for one had little good to say about Fords and Chevys of the day.

Mine in high school had a 304 as well..
That thing would one tire fire to no end! LOL... $375 then.. 6k now.. that sounds about right...

That's what I always loved about them was the interior. I really dig how the dash continues into the door panels and you feel like your enclosed in a cockpit when you shut the door. I had a friend years ago in Macon who had several Javelins and an AMX. He had one 401 4 speed Javelin. That was a cool ride and would heat the hides on command. He's dead now, but he was Macon's version of Evel Knievel. He could really ride a bike.

That's what I always loved about them was the interior. I really dig how the dash continues into the door panels and you feel like your enclosed in a cockpit when you shut the door. I had a friend years ago in Macon who had several Javelins and an AMX. He had one 401 4 speed Javelin. That was a cool ride and would heat the hides on command. He's dead now, but he was Macon's version of Evel Knievel. He could really ride a bike.
Obviously a man who knew cool when he seen it..

Here's something that sort of fits in the discussion some may enjoy.
In 1927, my grandfather traded in his 1923 Chevrolet on a Willys-Overland Whippet 6 Sedan. The car cost $945, plus $64 in fees. He was allowed $470 for his Chevy, and made 12 payments of $44.92. The U.S. - Canada monetary exchange rate in 1927 was almost dead even.
What I find interesting is this letter from the dealer, sent when the payments were complete. The letterhead has a Chrysler insignia, which must have been brand new at the time. It also references Paige Automobiles, whose descendant companies became part of AMC, and eventually Chrysler. Same with Willys-Overland.
Also interesting is that this was a sale across an international border. My grandfather, in the 4th generation of his line born in Canada, brought his family back to the U.S. after serving as a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps during WWI. The dealership was close to his hometown, and about ten miles from his new home.

W S Sherk Whippet001.jpg

-
Back