Did I aquire a Mopar ????

Is this an adopted Mopar ?

• Yep, it's family - it's an adopted MOPAR

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • NO! It wasnt', and it isn't now

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
-
Chrysler " aquired" Dodge and it never got rid of that company. They were the key technology company of that time suppling parts to the other Auto companies. starting with Ford.
How long did AMC/Eagle stay around ?
I remember when I was a kid, I had to have been 4 or 5 it was probably 89 or 90 the local dodge dealership had some amc eagles I remember my dad looking at them I thought they was the coolest thing ever because they were 4x4 cars! He looked at a station wagon version but I liked the hatchback. Lol he ended up buying a 79 aspen wagon and I ended up getting that car off of him 10 plus years later lol I drove it some in high school i loved that car I would like to have another one.

AMC were masters at reengineering thing to make it work. All the later engine blocks were cast all the same... save money. All of the outside
door handles were the same on every car... save money. But they always used a torqueflite transmission... the best at the time and saved a ton of money.

Chrysler " aquired" Dodge and it never got rid of that company. They were the key technology company of that time suppling parts to the other Auto companies. starting with Ford.
How long did AMC/Eagle stay around ?
Still just a matter of timing. If AMC can't be considered a Mopar because they're no longer around, then neither can Plymouth, Imperial, DeSoto or Fargo.

Plus Mopar did build all of the cars left over from AMC to complete the contract with the UAW. So all of the last AMC cars are a Mopar.

GM screwed AMC over big time twice. Once with the Wankel engine that they pulled out of the deal for the Pacer. Then that oil leaking POS V6 in the Jeep. AMC tried to sue them over it but who can sue GM and and win? Good luck with that. The Jeep engine deal killed them.
I was not aware of that the but the Jeep inline 6 and their own 304/360 V8's were good engines. Some of them befell the smog regulations of the day IE leaned way out, broke/ cracked manifolds, etc, but I can't blame the engine design for that

Option #3 nope, not a Mopar but a whole lot closer to one then the jeeps people call mopar nowadays

there was PLENTY wrong with AMC, tho..........the stupid idea to stay with Ferd design starters as long as they did, the tapered axles, and the stupid "E" stick (stupid vacuum/ oil pressure operated "automatic" clutch--try that in cold wx or when engine wears out some)

as well as that bass-akwards clutch in some of the newer models. I think it's called an "S" clutch. It resembles a BB/ Long design cover except there ARE NO SPRINGS in the pp. The linkage works OPPOSITE, and there is a Great Big spring on the linkage to provide pressure

THIS MEANT THAT EVERY SECOND the engine was running and the clutch engaged, there was horrific pressure ON THE THROWOUT BEARING

Yep they had their problems for sure. The tapered axles were real stupid. As for the clutch design... that was used later in the early K-car if you got the VW engine. I think it was the 1.4L. Same set up. Still very stupid.

Nothing to do with my car, but AMC had some hot rods ! Those 390 AMX/SC Rebels were no joke in their time ! They even slipped that 390 in a Hornet.... Ya don't say !

I remember the Peugeot engines in the early K-car but I think the clutch was a different set up

By the looks of it, I came to the right place ! Some AMC guys here that know a thing or three. I may have to pick a mind on a thing or so should I run into anything weird... :)

You could get the 401 Police Interceptor package in the Hornet as well. I worked with a guy that had one there. That car scared the **** out of me. I don't think there were many made but yes you could get it. Crazy

Yeah, AMC had their quirks- remember Rambler's vacuum operated windshield wipers? Stomp on the throttle and they would come to a complete stop... I do fondly remember the fully reclineable front seats, though. :rolleyes:
We used to call them "the rolling rummage sale" because of the amount of other manufacturer's equipment on them- Chrysler and GM automatic transmissions, Delco and Motorcraft ignitions, Motorcraft carbs, Ford brakes, and on and on. Not that it made them bad, just a little odd sometimes.
Their "Group 19" (think Mopar's Hustle Stuff or Direct Connection) had a lot of cool stuff for their cars, though!

Last edited:
Is this adopted into the Mopar family as of 1987 ??? Or is this the adopted kid, though he eats at our table will NEVER be part of the family.....

To me there is no right or wrong answer, it's all how you see it.

It's a Blur!

Yeah, AMC had their quirks- remember Rambler's vacuum operated windshield wipers? Stomp on the throttle and they would come to a complete stop... I do fondly remember the fully reclineable front seats, though. :rolleyes:
We used to call them "the rolling rummage sale" because of the amount of other manufacturer's equipment on them- Chrysler and GM automatic transmissions, Delco and Motorcraft ignitions, Motorcraft carbs, Ford brakes, and on and on. Not that it made them bad, just a little odd sometimes.

Many other companies use vacuum wipers at the time as well
RainX :)

Hell, what year did Mopar finally put an electric washer pump on an "A" body?
My '66 Dart and '66 Sweptline both have electric pumps, and I'm sure that they were available earlier. They weren't standard, just optional until sometime in the 70s.

-
Back