Did not set ring end gap on kb107!!!

-

73dartman318

Reaction score
I BUILT MY 318 and neglected to set my end gap on my kb107s! the motor has about 7000 miles on it now. runs great, is there failure lurking soon??? Please help!

why bother worrying now...lol...unless your planing on doing a teRdown to check...its a mute point. the answer is who knows??? you might get lucky and drive it for 200k....might last another dy? nobody can sY for sure. do a compression check??

were they file fit rings? oversize? x2 on why bother now. seems to be ok right?

no they are not file fit. Is that idiot proof? lol. sorry guys. sealed power 2r9903 or summit #slp-r9903. you think she will survive?

Probably don't want to ever ever dump any nitrous into ti.....At this point does it matter?? If someone tells you it is a problem will you tear it apart?

I would be more worried about: temperature control(cooling system!),timing curve,and cylinder pressure. I would not suggest N20,or turbo. Posting the whole combo,would give us ,a wider view to judge correctly...

This would probably put me in a panic. I would start to wonder what else I didn't do. However as it wears, maybe the gap will grow a little. Maybe it will be too large, but far better than too little.

You may have been fortunate enough that the shop gave a hair extra piston to wall clearance. If I recall, the generic off the shelf rings I've used were pretty much on the high side. At this point, as said earlier, just keep it cool, don't throw a ton of timing at it and let it eat. You've gotten 7k out of it so far......at this point, i'd sleep well if it was mine.

I BUILT MY 318 and neglected to set my end gap on my kb107s! the motor has about 7000 miles on it now. runs great, is there failure lurking soon??? Please help!

you build your 318 and forgot to set the end gap on the kb107?

that is got to be a first ...kb107 are 360 pistons...if you got those into a 318 you must be the Great Houdini....

Just realized you are a new member here.......Welcome to the site and I hope you'll stick around. Use the Welcome Forum and tell us a little about you and what your up to....:thumbrig:

that is got to be a first ...kb107 are 360 pistons...if you got those into a 318 you must be the Great Houdini....

Nice catch Tony......I need to get my mind right...lol.

first thing i thought.

best bet is just start gathering stuff to build your next engine. :D run this one enjoy have the other ready and the current will probably never fail lol.

but if you arent ready it will hahaha

7000 miles - I'd say it's probably seen every season and driving situation... I'd say you're fine - just don't get it hot or run nitrous.

If it's really done 7000 miles you should be fine as long as it never overheats.

I would recommend taking the heads off to inspect the bores and check the pistons for damage to the top ring lands just in case.

if they fail. it is pretty nasty.

The ring ends touch and have no room to expand except to deflect up or down causing the ring lands to break off and get smooshed into the spark plugs, breaking them off too. The spark plugs then deposit their ceramic core into the bore which basically doesn't burn from the combustion heat and just stays in there until it ruins your bores.

while this happens there are little pieces of piston exiting through your car's exhaust, if you're lucky like I was they won't ruin your valve seats.

This all happened to me with KB399 pistons, but it wasn't caused by tight ring gaps, it was caused by detonation (loose distributor. way too much advance)

But in the event of a piston/ring failure the damage is basically going to be identical, regardless of the cause.

I'd also recommend not giving the motor a hard time (try to avoid prolonged wide open throttle.)

Drive it like you stole it if you really want to find out. If you're happy with it like it is, don't worry about it and drive the wheels off of it. It'll tell you if there's a problem, but I wouldn't worry now!
:burnout:

-
Back