Did they ever produce a slant 6 4 speed with a console in 1966?

-
No, the '66 Canadian cars all had conventional cross-and-roller U-joints. These were '66 cars built with '66 parts to a '66 spec, they were not thrown together with leftover '64-'65 parts.

Before the 1967 model year there were specification differences between US and Canada-market cars, and there are a few cases where a specific change made in the US wasn't made in Canada until a year or two later, but I don't agree that the Canadian cars were generally behind the US cars. What have you seen that makes you think so?

This car was actually made in Windsor. I finally have some pictures. It is strange, there are no GT badges on the C pillar and no holes for the badges. Were those a stick on? The car has a nice clean trunk, but I gave the quarter panels the "magnet test" and the driver's side has minor bondo, but the passenger's side has quite a bit. The car also has the problem of cutting out like it is starving for fuel when you bring it up to speed. Much like was described in another post. I did drive it a little. The suspension is tight, it has new tires, it doesn't seem to smoke. It idles well and runs well at low RPM. It does have a drop out rear end. What I could see underneath looked pretty good. I just think he wants way too much money, although I am interested in what others think it might be worth (I know it is hard to tell from pictures and a limited description).

View attachment 1715521039

View attachment 1715521040

View attachment 1715521041

View attachment 1715521042

View attachment 1715521043

View attachment 1715521044
Dodge Dart, GT (premium), 2 door hardtop, 225 6 cylinder, 1966, Windsor Ontario . It appears to be a American Dart and not a Canadian Valiant.

No, the '66 Canadian cars all had conventional cross-and-roller U-joints. These were '66 cars built with '66 parts to a '66 spec, they were not thrown together with leftover '64-'65 parts.

Before the 1967 model year there were specification differences between US and Canada-market cars, and there are a few cases where a specific change made in the US wasn't made in Canada until a year or two later, but I don't agree that the Canadian cars were generally behind the US cars. What have you seen that makes you think so?
some guy came by my house once, about 40yrs ago, with a Canadian a-body. My memory is a little fuzzy and I only examined it for about 15min, but it was like half valiant/ half dart. When he popped the hood it had a generator, not an alternator; and the engine compartment looked like an old valiant/Lancer with the heater box on the firewall.

some guy came by my house once, about 40yrs ago, with a Canadian a-body. My memory is a little fuzzy and I only examined it for about 15min, but it was like half valiant/ half dart. When he popped the hood it had a generator, not an alternator; and the engine compartment looked like an old valiant/Lancer with the heater box on the firewall.
Dan, correct me if I'm wrong but alternators started in production in 1960 in the Valiants. Pretty hard to prove what that car was or how original it was.

these are from the 1966 service manual

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

Interesting, no mention of the 833 available behind a 225/6.
That's because it wasn't an option for 6 cylinder manual transmission in 1966 In the 65 manual you will see the 225 listed under the 4 speed options and you will also see the 309 1st gear where in 1966 you will see the 2.66 first gear listed .The small clutch they used couldn't launch the car right with that high 1 st gear and would wear out in short order which is why they discontinued the 4 speed option for 6 cylinder for 1966.

That's because it wasn't an option for 6 cylinder manual transmission in 1966

For the what, ninth time? Yeah, it was—in Canada, where at least parts of this car were built. Go throw your eyes at the '66 CFPC pages I posted, earlier in this thread.

these are from the 1966 service manual

Yeah, the American one, which does not apply to the car in this thread.

The small clutch they used couldn't launch the car right with that high 1 st gear and would wear out in short order which is why they discontinued the 4 speed option for 6 cylinder for 1966.

Now you're just makin' stuff up as you go along. Or do you have some kind of evidence that the '64-'65 (US) '64-'66 (Canada) 6-cylinder/4-speed cars suffered problematic clutch wear? I'll bet a few six-packs you don't, 'cuz they didn't.

Last edited:
some guy came by my house once, about 40yrs ago, with a Canadian a-body. My memory is a little fuzzy and I only examined it for about 15min, but it was like half valiant/ half dart.

'63 and '64 Canadian Valiants had Dart bodies (111" wheelbase) with Valiant front clips.

When he popped the hood it had a generator, not an alternator

The alternator was optional in Canada til '63, when it became standard equipment. Chrysler Canada had a contract with Canadian Auto-Lite (i.e., Prestolite) for a certain number of starters, generators, and distributors, and so Canadian-built Slant-6 cars got Auto-Lite starters and distributors through '66, Auto-Lite generators as standard equipment through '62. So that's one example of a specification difference in Canada. Another: the 318 Poly was kept for an extra year in Canada. Another: the 4-speed was available behind the 225 in A-bodies through '66. Another: the carburetor anti-ice system that was standard equipment on US '69s and not available any other year in the US, was optional equipment in Canada from '61 or '62 through '68, standard in '69.

But overall, the Canadian cars weren't behind the US cars, they just sometimes had some specification differences.

and the engine compartment looked like an old valiant/Lancer with the heater box on the firewall.

You're mixing memories. The A-bodies in Canada had exactly the same heater setup as the US A-bodies, year by year. The '60-'62 cars had the heater box on the firewall, the '63-up cars had it under the dash. The '60-'62 Canadian Valiants used Valiant sheetmetal front to back, with only minor badging differences to the US model.

Nope. Refer to the '66 Canadian FPC model ID pages posted earlier.

Nope. Darts weren't sold in Canada in '66, and Canadian-built Mopars weren't sold in the States in '66.
Thanks for that info Dan. I haven't seen the Canadian vin info before. Learn something new every day.

'63 and '64 Canadian Valiants had Dart bodies (111" wheelbase) with Valiant front clips.

The alternator was optional in Canada til '63, when it became standard equipment. Chrysler Canada had a contract with Canadian Auto-Lite (i.e., Prestolite) for a certain number of starters, generators, and distributors, and so Canadian-built Slant-6 cars got Auto-Lite starters and distributors through '66, Auto-Lite generators as standard equipment through '62. So that's one example of a specification difference in Canada. Another: the 318 Poly was kept for an extra year in Canada. Another: the 4-speed was available behind the 225 in A-bodies through '66. Another: the carburetor anti-ice system that was standard equipment on US '69s and not available any other year in the US, was optional equipment in Canada from '61 or '62 through '68, standard in '69.

But overall, the Canadian cars weren't behind the US cars, they just sometimes had some specification differences.

You're mixing memories. The A-bodies in Canada had exactly the same heater setup as the US A-bodies, year by year. The '60-'62 cars had the heater box on the firewall, the '63-up cars had it under the dash. The '60-'62 Canadian Valiants used Valiant sheetmetal front to back, with only minor badging differences to the US model.
I maybe mixing memories, but I don't think so. I do remember the starter being different, too, which agrees with what you said. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 62 Valiant/Lancer body because I wouldn't have been very interested in that. I'm guessing he saw my '64 Dart in the driveway, and stopped to chat. I seem to remember it had a 63 Dart looking grille, so maybe the back half was a Valiant. It was in pretty nice shape cosmetically, so it didn't appear to be Frankenstein'd. Anyway, that's what I remember, and I understand memories are the second thing to go, hahaha.

my friend has a slant six with that 2.06 first gear and 2.76 gears that thing is slowwwwwwwwwwww, i mean i can out run it on foot to a point. Bad combo Slant needs that low 3.09 and some 3.55 really wind up! The 64-65 Ball and trunion four speeds are tough mine has been behind 3 motors and probably has a zillion miles too lol

my friend has a slant six with that 2.06 first gear and 2.76 gears that thing is slowwwwwwwwwwww, i mean i can out run it on foot to a point. Bad combo Slant needs that low 3.09 and some 3.55 really wind up! The 64-65 Ball and trunion four speeds are tough mine has been behind 3 motors and probably has a zillion miles too lol
agree on the 3.55's. great combo with the 3.09 1st gear 4spd.
I took the gears out of a 3.09 4spd and dropped them in a 69 833, or I took the main shafts and tailhousing out of the 69 833 and put them in the 3.09 box, I can't remember which, it was over 40yrs ago. I put them behind a 70 340, I swapped into my 64 dart w/3.91 rear axle. That was a great combo, too

New to the group and confused, seen previous post say no Dart GT's built in Canada and no US built sold in Canada. I have a 66 GT all badges, hub caps, Steering wheel
present it is most definitely a 1966 Dodge Dart GT 273 2bbl torqueflite and the VIN on the Drivers door post, the fender tag and the dealers Certicard for the car all match and all but the fender tag of course indicate it was assembled in Windsor Ontario Canada. Have a Pic of the certicard will get pics of door post and fender tag when I get Home. Fender tag is removed but I removed it.
Screenshot_20200517-213647_Gallery.jpg

That error was mine—Windsor started building cars for the US market in the '66 model year, but US and Canadian models were still separate (111" wheelbase A-bodies built and badged as Dodge Darts for the US market, with the options Chrysler Corp allowed…built and badged as Valiants for the Canadian market, with the options Chrysler Canada allowed).

That error was mine—Windsor started building cars for the US market in the '66 model year, but US and Canadian models were still separate (111" wheelbase A-bodies built and badged as Dodge Darts for the US market, with the options Chrysler Corp allowed…built and badged as Valiants for the Canadian market, with the options Chrysler Canada allowed).
No Problem. Thank you for responding. I have been trying to get as much information as I can Knowing how few Dart GT's were made in 66, trying to find out the rarity of mine has been tough to say the least. cant find a solid answer on production numbers from the assembly plant in Windsor.

No Problem. Thank you for responding. I have been trying to get as much information as I can Knowing how few Dart GT's were made in 66, trying to find out the rarity of mine has been tough to say the least. cant find a solid answer on production numbers from the assembly plant in Windsor.

When the WP Chrysler museum closed everything went to Carleton university in Ottawa file 403 library special collections, need to work there or be a student.

The OP hasn't been seen since His last post here, wonder what became of this car/deal, & if the real history was found....

-
Back