Did you change your Master Cylinder pushrod changing fron single to dual??

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do I need to change my Master cylinder pushrod rod for a '65, to convert from a single to dual reservoir Master Cylinder??

It was suggested, but the original in my 65 dart manual brakes looks to hit the '67 MC just right, in the same spot.

If I don't need to change it, will just put a new rubber end on the original and call it good.

Thanks for any responses....

My '66 already had an adjustable rod from the factory. During the conversion, I fine tuned the length, did not require a replacement. (FWIW, my car came with power brakes. I kept it power.)

The rod sets the position of the pedal.

As long as it is not keeping the master from fully returning to its resting position. And there is enough travel to fully apply the brakes it's fine.

On my 66’ when I converted I used the factory pushrod (non adjustable) I had to pop apart a sheet metal clip that kept the push rod into the master piston. Sorry I don’t have photos for you. That was about 4 years ago.

I switched from a single to dual reservoir without changing the pushrod and with no issues. I used an A-body cast iron MC; you may need more length if you use an aluminum two bolt MC and an adapter.

I switched to a two pot and used the same rod for 6 years, worked great, perfect for my 66 Plymouth Valiant, now I have switched to a disk front brake with adapter, cut two brake rods to add another inch of travel for the 4 to two master cylinder adapter.

The rod sets the position of the pedal.

As long as it is not keeping the master from fully returning to its resting position. And there is enough travel to fully apply the brakes it's fine.
Thanks, I picked one up, and will use it if I want the pedal in a different position after install today.
On my 66’ when I converted I used the factory pushrod (non adjustable) I had to pop apart a sheet metal clip that kept the push rod into the master piston. Sorry I don’t have photos for you. That was about 4 years ago.
Mine has the non adjustable as well.

I switched from a single to dual reservoir without changing the pushrod and with no issues. I used an A-body cast iron MC; you may need more length if you use an aluminum two bolt MC and an adapter.
Thanks this is the assumption I was making after looking at them as well.

I switched to a two pot and used the same rod for 6 years, worked great, perfect for my 66 Plymouth Valiant, now I have switched to a disk front brake with adapter, cut two brake rods to add another inch of travel for the 4 to two master cylinder adapter.
I am switching to disc but using the 67 MC. Won't be using an adapter on the manual brakes. The MC I used was the 1" piston.

I asked in a different thread, but I'm going to ask again. Has anyone used a kit like this when converting to a dual res m/cyl? It looks much cleaner and simpler than trying to adapt the stock brake lines.

1963 Dodge Dart GT Dual Master Conversion M/C Lines w/Block 3pc, OE Steel
I bought inline tube's complete dual stainless kit. And replaced all of the lines on the car yesterday.

I bought the '65 conversion proportioning block. BLK243, it was the closest match to the original, but I did have to bend the passenger front line T a 90 to make it work with the present lines. The whole kit was an awesome fit except for that.
20240224_143550.jpg

20240224_143602.jpg

Nice! Inline makes quality parts.

My lines are in good shape, I'm just going to a safer master cylinder and replacing rubber lines and wheel cylinders.

Nice! Inline makes quality parts.

My lines are in good shape, I'm just going to a safer master cylinder and replacing rubber lines and wheel cylinders.
My lines were all seized in the proportioning block and wouldn't budge, which is what prompted the full set. Ended up cutting them off with the dremel to get the old block out .

Last edited:
20240224_184809.jpg

Perfect fit.
20240225_113140.jpg

Have a few things left to hook up like the throttle cable.

Still need to grease up the ball joints and front end. Will get the wife out to help bleed the system today.

Made my own out of stainless not complete yet waiting on couple fittings for 69 barracuda was also using the slip roller for the hoop

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5928.jpeg

IMG_5932.jpeg

-
Back