Dies in Drive and Reverse

-

70408dart

70408Dart
Reaction score
Okay Guys and Gals I need some help. I have a 70 Dart Swinger originally a slant 6 car now a warmed over 360/727 combo. My current problem is when its warmed up (15 mins at idle for example) and I go to put it in drive or reverse it dies instantly. I can start it right back up with no problems and it will sit idle just fine. Here is what I have done so far different battery, alternator, new voltage regulator, ballast resistor and ECU box. Non of these changes have made a difference. If its of any help the wiring harness is factory original. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Ken

Does it die as if you cut the ignition off or is it like the engine loads up, your idle reduces and the engine dies ?

You say this is the current problem,, what was the previous prob ?

What is the RPM in neutral, warm?, Carb type ?

Can you keep it running if you increase thr rpm while foot on brake, and putting into gear?

Appreciate the torque converter info as that is the grey area with car as it was given to me used with just guessing about any info on it.

Appreciate the torque converter info as that is the grey area with car as it was given to me used with just guessing about any info on it.

It sounds like either the converter has gone south or the wrong converter. If someone placed a later model lockup converter in it, it will die when placed in gear. That's what it sounds like is happening if it idles fines in neutral or park... 0.02....

The car dies as if you shut the ignition off. Some of the other questions asked i will have to get back to you all on them. Carb is 770 Street Avenger. Last summer I did not have this issue but the guy that built my motor was concerned about the piston rings being put on the pistons correctly. So the motor was torn down again to find out the rings were put on incorrectly. Since the motor was put back into the car this shutting off situation has been there.

-
Back