Difference in door latch? Door has to lock with key

-

340doc

Reaction score
Is the difference in the door latch from 70 to 71, that requires you to use the key to lock the door on the 70? I can step out of our 71 and push the lock button down and close the door. The 70 has to be locked with the key. What needs to be done to make the 70 lock like the 71?

At one time I found a "fix" for this on the www. It involved bending? something on the latch

A-Body's were all like that until 1971. I personally like it so you CAN'T lock your keys in the car!

Thanks for the info 67. Did you do it on yours?
No. When you posted this I did a very quick search on Mopar lock modification and found nothing useful. I like them "with a key." There are also various remote lock conversions here and there

I’m going to ask maybe a dumb question for my learning. I had a 69 charger and I swear I could lock it by locking the door and pushing the button on the door handle as I closed it and the door would remain locked. Maybe had to hold button in on door handle and then push lock down. But it seems like there was a sequence. Or is my memory foggy? Just wondering if the a bodies were the same.

I’m going to ask maybe a dumb question for my learning. I had a 69 charger and I swear I could lock it by locking the door and pushing the button on the door handle as I closed it and the door would remain locked. Maybe had to hold button in on door handle and then push lock down. But it seems like there was a sequence. Or is my memory foggy? Just wondering if the a bodies were the same.
Pretty sure I had a 71 Chevelle that had to hold down the button too

If you had both types of latch assembly on the workbench you could see the difference. One has a finger in it that blocks the lock. So... I've cut that finger out of 4 67 model latches.
I recall seeing a post detailing a simpler way to defeat the lock block but I don't have memory of or more details.

If you had both types of latch assembly on the workbench you could see the difference. One has a finger in it that blocks the lock. So... I've cut that finger out of 4 67 model latches.
I recall seeing a post detailing a simpler way to defeat the lock block but I don't have memory of or more details.
Thanks RedFish, I'll pull it when I get some time and see if I can see the finger.

-
Back