Differential Identification

-

hidden_threat

Reaction score
I recently was given and opportunity to aquire a differential for my 73 Duster. I was told it is an 8¾ from an early 60' s Dodge pick-up but I am not sure any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG952150.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG952152.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 209
Yeaa that's a project at best...the housing is usable for your duster but you're gonna have to cut it (make it narrower) and reposition the spring perches. The center section will have to be completley gone through, like others said its outside and gonna be rusty. And axles, yep you'll need new ones of those too. Nice find if you can get it for free or near free:)

Yep-8-3/4.
Here's a guide for ID'ing Chrysler rear ends:

http://www.mopar1.us/875.html

Basically, look on the left front (lower) side to identify if it's a 657, 741, 742, or 489 pumpkin. There should be a tag on one of the pumpkin studs (if still there) giving the gear ratio (e.g. 3.55= 3.55:1) and another designating Sure Grip. Easy way to tell SG is rotate pinion in direction of normal rotation, see if both axles turn the same direction. Easy way to ballpark ratio is put a mark on one axle, rotate pinion. Count number of pinion rotations to one complete revolution of the axle. Good luck

Yeaa that's a project at best...the housing is usable for your duster but you're gonna have to cut it (make it narrower) and reposition the spring perches. The center section will have to be completley gone through, like others said its outside and gonna be rusty. And axles, yep you'll need new ones of those too. Nice find if you can get it for free or near free:)

Yep, and he'll need to buy housing ends too cause ends for the tapered axles won't work for a newer style axle

Well it sounds like even though it is free it would cost as much to rebuild this as to find an A-body 8¾ that's a direct bolt in. Thanks for the excellent information.

Well it sounds like even though it is free it would cost as much to rebuild this as to find an A-body 8¾ that's a direct bolt in. Thanks for the excellent information.

Well if it's free, I would take it. You can save the center section anyway for future use.

-
Back