Difficulty with Vinyl

-

Kevo

Reaction score
Hey everybody, i have been redoing the interior pieces of my car in my spare time the past few weeks and i have been having trouble with vinyl. I have no idea how people use this stuff, no matter what i use it seems like it wont stick to anything. I have been redoing my armrests and will soon be covering hardboard for my door panels with the stuff, but it just doesnt seem to want to cooperate with me at all.
Does anybody have any tricks or experience with the stuff?

All help is appreciated, Thanks!

How about some pictures of what you are trying to do? I have never seen anyone that could make it work on an 67 up A-body. I don't know what the 66 back look like.

I redid most of my 68 interior with vinyl so far. Make sure you have some super 77 and use hot glue when you stretch it to attach it to the back of the part. I would also recommend using a heat gun or hair dryer if you get to a spot where you need it to be more pliable. It's also a good idea to use a marine grade vinyl with the red crosses on the back to stretch it easier.

are you trying to use self-adhesive (as in 'sign') vinyl?
If so, that's the wrong stuff for interior pieces- you want to use a heavier 'upholstery' vinyl, and use an adhesive with it (I always preferred contact cement, but some of the spray adhesives work well too.
If you're already using that vinyl, it's all about the adhesive...

What are you covering? What weight vinyl are you using? What kind and type of glue are you using? Are you using pre sewn covers or flat pieces of vinyl?

are you trying to use self-adhesive (as in 'sign') vinyl?
If so, that's the wrong stuff for interior pieces- you want to use a heavier 'upholstery' vinyl, and use an adhesive with it (I always preferred contact cement, but some of the spray adhesives work well too.
If you're already using that vinyl, it's all about the adhesive...

I totally forgot about contact cement. I would say this is the better option to super 77, but it requires patience.

Here are some photos, it is not a peel and stick vinyl. Its pretty heavy duty, just a little lighter than denim to put it into perspective. I tried to sew the ends shut with a needle and the needle broke...

I was using an all purpose glue by loctite, and it seems to stick alright to the old surface, but not on top of the vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 109
yep, that's the correct kind of vinyl for the purpose-like Okla said, it's hard to get better results than that on armrests because they don't really lend themselves to being recovered by flat vinyl- the door panels will be a lot easier to work on.

Putting a second skin over molded parts is nearly impossible
Now you know why diamond and row upholdtery is so common in custom interiors.
The padding adds thckness and forgiveness to the skin.

Don't know how much energy you
want to put into this, check out

DYI Vacuum Forming on Youtube.

If you look hard enough you can find the
bag method.

-
Back