Dip Stick Tube Snapped Off - Arrrrgh

-

shovhd

Reaction score
So I was stripping down my 360 to get it ready for the machine shop and I when I went to pull the dipstick tube out it was stuck. So I gave it a little wiggle to see if it would loosen and come out and....it broke off at the block. I tried to drive it out with a drift, but no go. Should I just drill it out? Are they always this hard to get out? This is my first try at this and all was going really well until now. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'd go at it with a small carbide bit on demal (sp?). Keep the speed low and work a slot into the tube stuck in the block. Before you get all the through the tube you should relieve enough stress on the tube to be able to punch it out.

Or leave it for the machine shop. They'll be able to get it out np.

if you have the oil pan off you should be able to tap it out the opposite way from underneith with a hammer. Last time it happened to me I was able to get a corse thread bolt about the same diameter to thread in, and then I tapped it out with a hammer and screwdriver using the head of the bolt. Machine shop can prob remove it free of charge

be careful with whatever you do. Same thing happened to me. Upon trying to remove it I took a nice chunk of casting off the block :( some JB Weld later and sealant it looks good as new.

I'd just have the machine shop do it for you.

Get a 5/16 tap and thread the inside of the tube. 5/16 all thread rod and washers and a nut create a homemede slide hammer.
Dang I'm gonna get beat up one day for giving away trade secrets.

I agree with RedFish. I had this happen on a "sealed" racing motor (illegal to take pan off). I didn't bother tapping it I just ran a self threading bolt into it. Hooked a slide hammer up to and and wack wack it was out no problem.

I used a small punch to carefully collapse the piece of stuck tube into itself so it pulls right out with pliers. Just don't whack the block and it's all good.

Got it! I tapped it with 5/16, threaded in a bolt and drove it out from the other side with a screwdriver and hammer.

Thanks for the help everyone.:cheers:

-
Back