dip stick tube

-
Mopar Performance has them.
Dodge dealer has them. (318,360)
E-bay
Junk yard
Year one
Ask here if anyone has one.

I got a real slick looking Billet dipstick and chrome tube off of E-bay for $13 shipped a couple months back.

Did it fit into your block? I have bought a couple of those chrome ones (probably made in China) and had to grind them down to fit into the block. Once I did that, they were weak, and easily broken.

I finally ordered a stock one through a Dodge dealer, and wow, they were proud of that little thing. I am going to have to do it again for this motor.

Mancini Racing has them for cheap.

I filed the end of mine down in a taper, put it in the freezer, then stacked a bunch of sockets on it and tapped it in. Then put socket between block and tube and bent it back some to clear the fuel pump.

The Mancini one was wrong for my 273. Way too long. I cut it and destroyed it driving it in. I made my own with stainless tubing and it worked great. I hope yours works better in a 340.

Did it fit into your block? I have bought a couple of those chrome ones (probably made in China) and had to grind them down to fit into the block. Once I did that, they were weak, and easily broken.

I finally ordered a stock one through a Dodge dealer, and wow, they were proud of that little thing. I am going to have to do it again for this motor.

I haven't installed it yet. It's going in my new engine that'll hopefully be installed within the next 2 months. Hopefully it works.

Fishy if the engine is not painted heat the block with a heat gun or torch around where the dip stick goes in so the metal expands. File the end of dip stick tube where if goes into the block to create a slight taper. Put dip stick tube in freezer overnight. Then use sockets stacked up to tap it in. The first socket that meets the lip must fit very snugly.

Oh, and I used the plain steel dip stick tube from Mancini.

Fishy if the engine is not painted heat the block with a heat gun or torch around where the dip stick goes in so the metal expands. File the end of dip stick tube where if goes into the block to create a slight taper. Put dip stick tube in freezer overnight. Then use sockets stacked up to tap it in. The first socket that meets the lip must fit very snugly.

The block is painted but I'll keep the other parts in mind. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's even a problem yet. Thanks for the info.

Great point, I use the freezer a lot, and am glad I put it in the garage. It is especially handy for front end rebuilds (LCA bushings). I used it to install the tube I bought from the dealer, and will check out Mancini for another one. Thanks!

The block is painted but I'll keep the other parts in mind. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's even a problem yet. Thanks for the info.

Fishy, just heat the block up with a hair dryer; that won't hurt the paint.

-
Back