Diplomat Parts for Duster

-

derekv

Reaction score
I found a 77 2 door diplomat. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy it or just buy the parts individually to swap onto my 72 duster. What all can I use on my duster? I'm new to mopars so I'm trying to figure this stuff out

I know I can use the spindle and all of the front brake parts and the rear end will be a little wider and need to have the springs relocated, but how about the master cylinder, sway bar, any of the front control arms etc? I'm swapping to a 727 trans, so I'm guessing the diplomat driveshaft could have the right ends, but it will still need to be shortened?

I'm guessing this car doesn't have a sure grip and probably has really tall gears since it's not a cop car. Can I swap a sure grip and 3.55 gears out of a 90's dakota into it?

disc brakes, spindles out
prop valve
rear end will need new perches or the locating hole welded smaller
rear brakes
engine
trans

A big no on any suspension or steering parts...uca, lca, swaybars, springs, etc.
Rear in the 77 is either a 7.25 or 8.25. /6 will likely be a 7.25, v8 can be either.
Not sure on the sg swap, I know there was a change made to the rear at some point that doesnt allow the swap.

Wheels. The 8 1/4 is about the same width as a 68-70 B body and will work in an A with the perches moved in and mid 90's and up mustang wheels/torque thrust style.

Steering box, the rad will fit but just....the 8.25 is a 27 spline while the newer Dakota is most likely a 29.

What's a big bolt pattern disk brake setup worth? I can buy everything new pretty inexpensively besides the spindle and the upper control arms. It would be nice to have cores, but they're not a requirement. The diplomat I'm looking at doesn't have an engine or trans and the wheels and tires are fine to roll around, but I want to find something that looks better.

I think I'm going to go with the narrowed explorer rear end since I'll be able to get disk brakes, posi and a good gear ratio for around $250. I'll be into pretty much any other rear end quite a bit more to get that setup. I also like the look of a deeper dish wheel, so I'd rather have a narrower rear end. If the rear end is cheap enough I can get one narrowed, but I don't want to put too much money into something that isn't exactly what I want.

I usually get 170-220 depending on condition and how complete...w or w/o prop valve, good rotors, etc.
Last set of F body calipers I bought didnt require cores and were only $20 each new. (order 1980 Aspen V8, NOT phenolic piston)
You can get the ball joint adapter from Dr Diff to safely use the 72-back small ball joint uca's. Around fifty bucks if I remember correctly.

I let the car go to someone else. The guy wanted $250 which is a fair price for the car, but if the only thing I am going to use is the spindles and caliper bracket then it's not worth the hassle. I asked about parting out the brake components, but he said he thought he had the car sold to someone else. It didn't have an engine or trans. I've looked up the calipers and rotors for pricing and I'd rather have freshly rebuilt/new stuff if it's as cheap as I've seen. With the disk brake rear end I'll probably put in an adjustable proportioning valve so the stock one wouldn't have been useful.

I saw the Dr Diff ball joint adapter yesterday. That should make that part of it much cheaper.

Thanks for the information!

-
Back