Dipstick arcing with Alternator

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
I'm almost positive this can't be right. When the dipstick touches a certain part of the alternator it sparks. It doesn't spark when it makes contact with any part of the alt, but only the part that is hot (I believe). I wish I knew the name of it. This happens when the car is off or on and with the key off or on. Any ideas on this?

sounds like you have the wrong length belt . The batt post on the alt is hot at all times. It souldn't contact anything metal.

sounds like you have the wrong length belt . The batt post on the alt is hot at all times. It souldn't contact anything metal.

Either that or the dipstick tube is bent way out towards the side........

A picture would really be helpful here, 72DartSwingerV8. I agree with what the first three posters have told you.
Your alternator is working properly, correct? It is grounded?
C

Currently the Dipstick is in between the alt and engine block. Is it supposed to be on the other side of the alt. I can get a pic later.

If this is the average small block there are 2 holes in the end of the head that aren't used. The dipstick tube should be in front of those, right side of the one the alt pivots on. Sorry i dont have a pic handy. Hope this helps

-
Back