Directional ground gremlins

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
4D15F26C-E560-458D-AAD0-62DE79A6C241.jpeg
RS directionals work fine. But the LS. Lights and does not blink. The advice I have received is to chase the grounds.

Regrounding the LS tail light changed nothing. I tried grounding the LS front at the mounting studs - no change. They are apparently screwed into plastic. But when I ground the back of the light receptacle (see photo), the LS flashes like it is supposed to.

So how the heck does it ground properly? What am I missing? Looks the same as the backside of the RS.

Thoughts?

Changed LS front with RS front, new LS worked, new RS did not work. Figured out the mounting studs and the light receptacle mount into some sort of non-ferrous metal.

Reinstalled the lights back in original positions. The light receptacle on the LS does not ground. Something went a bit wrong it’s rebuild. Got to figure out a work around.

1056 bulb? the part with the studs is ground and the center is hot. so the housing where you have you clip is ground that should have continuity to one of the 2 wires. the other side of that plug is one +12v and one ground. so one of your wires is broke or the car side is not grounded

FINALLY!

Thanks to all for your input. The LS bulb receptacle was not grounding to the housing, so it did not ground to the car when the LS parking/directional housing was bolted down.

Lots of head scratching later, I twisted the receptacle back and forth with a plier. Got an intermittent ground. Cleaned the connection as best I could, wedged a couple of rounds of solder into the gap, applied flux and heated with a soldering gun. No, it’s not a beautiful solder job, but it worked!

On to the bright light indicator and the back up lights tomorrow.
:icon_fU:

Those can be a pain to fix.
I went through that not too many months ago but with the reverse lights.
Worse yet was parking/turn on my '85 gwagoneer.
Lemme see if I can find it reverse lights cause some others commented in it.

Here it is
67, 69 Barracuda and similar early reverse lights
at the end Redfish suggests adding a jumper for cast construction.

I had that same grounding problem with my front parking/blinker lights on my 71 Barracuda.

I wound up running a jumper wire to a good ground on the radiator support, stripped about 1/2 inch of insulation off the other end and used a small screw-type hose clamp to hold it to the bulb housing.

Sometimes it just takes stubbornness and perseverance

-
Back