Disappointing TrickFlow news to report

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I have some pathetically bad news to report about upgrading small block TrickFlow heads to a bigger valve. Don’t ask me why but the small azz valve seats that they use can’t be cut for bigger valves. I don’t think you can get a 2.05 valve in them let alone a 2.08. Kinda sucks that you can do that to the Chinese Speedmaster heads but TrickFlow wasn’t smart enough to think of that.

Not sure I want to replace 8 seats because I’d probably have to do the exhaust seats too because of the way the bigger seat would interlock.
Naaaa, dont mess with the exhaust seats, just cut in the bigger diameter intake seat, it will interlock, but just retouch the seat when your done. Easy peasy. I like to tig weld around the seat insert, they just fall out when they cool.

Obviously Trick flow are not interested in what happens to their heads once they are sold.

Naaaa, dont mess with the exhaust seats, just cut in the bigger diameter intake seat, it will interlock, but just retouch the seat when your done. Easy peasy. I like to tig weld around the seat insert, they just fall out when they cool.

i have two Tig welders and I wish I was better at it but number one I don’t do it enough and number two my eyes are good except for close up work. I’ll probably quickly mig a Chevy valve to it and punch it out. I don’t see me doing 8 seats on a set of heads I honestly don’t need. Problem is I already welded up one head and opened the pinch up .100

i have two Tig welders and I wish I was better at it but number one I don’t do it enough and number two my eyes are good except for close up work. I’ll probably quickly mig a Chevy valve to it and punch it out. I don’t see me doing 8 seats on a set of heads I honestly don’t need. Problem is I already welded up one head and opened the pinch up .100
You dont actually have to weld with filler wire, just go around the seat "drawing circles" as long as you get enough heat to start melting the surface, it's all you need.

You dont actually have to weld with filler wire, just go around the seat "drawing circles" as long as you get enough heat to start melting the surface, it's all you need.

I’m a rookie at this as I finally at 66 years old have a valve seat machine. I used Neway valve seat cutters for years. Lots to learn.

Obviously Trick flow are not interested in what happens to their heads once they are sold.

I was behind this company 110 percent after watching them even before they released their first mopar products. We’ve talked for hours over the years but I will question their product line more before I would buy again.

Just my perspective but it seems they built a performance street head that is already cnc ported and ready to go so how many customers are actually going to modify them?. The other thing is they were planning a race head before all the covid 19 stuff happened so it would be the next step, wish they would make that happen, but hell they need to get the small block intakes back out lol.

I will say it still sucks for those of us that would like to put bigger valves in without switching seats, I was wanting to mess with my mine!.

Just my perspective but it seems they built a performance street head that is already cnc ported and ready to go so how many customers are actually going to modify them?. The other thing is they were planning a race head before all the covid 19 stuff happened so it would be the next step, wish they would make that happen, but hell they need to get the small block intakes back out lol.

that raises some flags too. I can see and understand delays while engineering a project but we are past those delays. Even figuring in Covid delays the excuses are getting old. At this point I wouldn’t even consider buying one because the only reason I had before was to get into the TrickFlow specialty race that they offer during the Halloween Classic. I guarantee you the Victor340 that I ported and am running on my 408 would put it to shame performance wise.

Have you provided your feedback to TF? Nothing will change if they aren't aware of concerns. I would venture a guess that there wasn't an expectation for folks to take an expensive CNC head that flows 300 already and start cutting on it. Or more likely, they never considered the potential of a larger valve being installed. As mentioned, this was supposed to be the street head and a race version coming later? I can understand the frustration on the valve seats, but the condemnation seems a bit quick on the draw. These heads are still going to serve the large majority of people looking for a performance street or "race" head.

Have you provided your feedback to TF? Nothing will change if they aren't aware of concerns. I would venture a guess that there wasn't an expectation for folks to take an expensive CNC head that flows 300 already and start cutting on it. Or more likely, they never considered the potential of a larger valve being installed. As mentioned, this was supposed to be the street head and a race version coming later? I can understand the frustration on the valve seats, but the condemnation seems a bit quick on the draw. These heads are still going to serve the large majority of people looking for a performance street or "race" head.

No I haven’t talked to them about this issue and won’t be. But the last time I called about buying larger valves from them I was transferred back to the shop. We had a nice discussion about my plans and they didn’t offer bigger valves but he said he could see where this should be looked into for guys needing new or bigger valves as time goes on. He then offered to look into bigger valves and said with it being 3:00 he wouldn’t be getting back to me till the next day. This was probably 6-7 weeks ago with no return call. 100% of the fault falls on me but several weeks ago I found and purchased 2.08 valves as I try to set myself up ahead of getting into a project. Anyone need any 5.200 (2.08) valves. Lol

Damm, that sucks, I was and i am sure others here were looking for the results you trying for with the larger valves. So if you replace the seats than larger valves can be installed ?
Do you think that since you have opened the pinch up .100 that it will help at all considering that you will have to stay with the 2.02 valve ?

Damm, that sucks, I was and i am sure others here were looking for the results you trying for with the larger valves. So if you replace the seats than larger valves can be installed ?
Do you think that since you have opened the pinch up .100 that it will help at all considering that you will have to stay with the 2.02 valve ?

With opening up the port and very little work I hit 310 cfm and race season started so that’s where the modified head is at.

Pretty much can forget the small block Trick Flow intake seeing the light of day:

6C17DC5D-E85A-4E9E-BA26-606DEB200F1B.png

Ohhhhh well it’s not needed. I’m thinking the Victor340 can do everything it can, and more.
all these heads need work out of the box kinda pathetic really
mopar dropped the ball on that
lucky you can port your own heads
true hotrodder

Way to much valve for me anyways. The TF 2.02 with a little tickle is enough for me, and I can afford them.

-
Back