&%*/^#%*@*&% Disaster

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
Well,
My almost all original paint, 17,120 original mile '69 Formula S 383 was f***ing smashed on the way to carlisle yesterday. I am going to need at least a passenger side fender and door skin, and probably the splash shield inside the fender (repros of these are available) and what else remains to be seen. I will post the horrifying pictures later today. I just wanted to get out the word and start looking for parts because I know State Farm will probably need my help locating acceptable parts. Obviously, for such a mint car I will be seeking perfect parts with no dents or rust if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Son of a Bit$# that sucks. Sorry to hear that man. State Farm has always treated me well and I hope they will you too.

Son of a Bit$# that sucks. Sorry to hear that man. State Farm has always treated me well and I hope they will you too.
I have been with them since 1984 and they have alwys been great. I am not worried about them. I am lucky that the guy who hit me is with them too. The only thing that worries me is the likelyhood that the replacement side stripes will not be the same color as my almost 40-year-old originals.

Nahums Chariot. I've been there so I feel you're pain. My expenience with State Farm, "50 bucks for a good used reverse light fixture. We can't pay you to hunt one and can't buy you a new one." Just a sample of how they dealt with me. This was many years ago and the other drivers liabilty paying.
An aspect for you to consider is depreciation and compensation for it. We could claim our classic cars have never been hit whether that is true or not until they are entered into todays databases such as CarFax.

Sorry to hear about it.......A real loss for sure.........We'll be hopin' for State Farm to do the right thing with it...........Don't get too bummed out.....you'll find the parts. 8)

That is a heart sinking feeling for sure. Sorry to hear about that. Give us notice before you post pics so we can sit down.

WOW. What the heck happened to cause it. Glad you are OK & I sure hope your cuda will be taken care of properly & looking like she should in no time.

Oldschoolcuda

Sorry to hear of your loss. I wish you the best with finding the parts and with the insurance company. I would sure stand my ground with them on this car!
Good luck with the repairs! Hopefully you can find some parts at carlisle this weekend,and if you do get bill for them so you can get the insurance to pay you back.
Matt

$#@!%^&*^%$!!!! MY WORST NIGHTMARE! I hope everything is made well for you...DAMN!!!

Wow.... like it's been said already, that blows. That's one of my biggest fears of finally getting my car done is having some half-wit drive into it.

I'll keep and eye & ear open for ya Pal!

Man I am so sorry, I wish you luck on the whole deal from dealing with insurance to finding accpectable parts I hope everything works out well for you. Good Luck Justin

Dude that sucks more than having new paint peel off your car. Sorry to hear brother. Good luck with the insurance company.

Wow.... like it's been said already, that blows. That's one of my biggest fears of finally getting my car done is having some half-wit drive into it.

I'll keep and eye & ear open for ya Pal!

Thanks John. I am hoping to have everything lined up before State Farm even takes a look at the car. The only bright side here is that I am not in jail for assault or murder like I always thought I would be if this happened. Maybe it was shock, but I was strangely composed and even polite. Amazing.

Thanks for the support everyone. I keep the car at my dad's place and I haven't seen it since I got it towed there Friday night. I'm not sure this has really sunk in yet and it may when I go take pictures and look it over more closely tomorrow . I have had this car for over 26 years. As far as the Barracuda/Cuda owners club could tell it was the only '69 383 4-speed coupe left in fantastic unrestored condition out of the 5 they knew of from their DMV/MVA research. I bought seat covers from Legendary 18 years ago and never put them on because the car's body and interior were so original that I just couldn't bring myself to alter anything over a few split seams. Now I am faced with the prospect of maybe having to paint the whole car if the color of the new side stripes does not match the originals on the car, which I will not be able to afford to do before next year. Maybe someone could pull the original stripes and replace the whole set without screwing up the original paint. Who knows? I doubt it. The bottom line is that they are only original once and mine no longer is. Hell, if I can't find a fender and have to paint the whole car anyway I may as well go with fiberglass fenders, hood, and header panel (it has a couple of dents) and start making regular track passes again like I did when I was young and to stupid to appreciate it's value, which has just been greatly decreased. The potential outcome of this has my mind about to blow a gasket.

Oh, one additional part request. The car now only has 3 original "Plymouth Division" dog dish hubcaps.

you loose the right front dog dish, or did it get damaged too? sucks that happened to such an original car, but now you can do as you want, if you want

That super sucks. There was a black 70 GTX original paint survivor original owner that got a smashed front fender/grille/door chipped on his way to Fall Fling last year. Someone pulled out in front of him. I felt so bad for him.

Someone on Moparts said he saw a 2nd gen Barracuda that was in a wreck that looked like someone pulled out on him. Sounds like it was you. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4545137&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1

To me survivors are the toughest to drive. If anything happens you are screwed. If it's been restored, it can always be fixed again like it was before. But you can't match patina.

Thanks for the support everyone. I keep the car at my dad's place and I haven't seen it since I got it towed there Friday night. I'm not sure this has really sunk in yet and it may when I go take pictures and look it over more closely tomorrow . I have had this car for over 26 years. As far as the Barracuda/Cuda owners club could tell it was the only '69 383 4-speed coupe left in fantastic unrestored condition out of the 5 they knew of from their DMV/MVA research. I bought seat covers from Legendary 18 years ago and never put them on because the car's body and interior were so original that I just couldn't bring myself to alter anything over a few split seams. Now I am faced with the prospect of maybe having to paint the whole car if the color of the new side stripes does not match the originals on the car, which I will not be able to afford to do before next year. Maybe someone could pull the original stripes and replace the whole set without screwing up the original paint. Who knows? I doubt it. The bottom line is that they are only original once and mine no longer is. Hell, if I can't find a fender and have to paint the whole car anyway I may as well go with fiberglass fenders, hood, and header panel (it has a couple of dents) and start making regular track passes again like I did when I was young and to stupid to appreciate it's value, which has just been greatly decreased. The potential outcome of this has my mind about to blow a gasket.

Oh, one additional part request. The car now only has 3 original "Plymouth Division" dog dish hubcaps.

you loose the right front dog dish, or did it get damaged too? sucks that happened to such an original car, but now you can do as you want, if you want
Yes, RF hubcap found but fattened. I still enjoyed the car. I drove it, I had lots of fun on the street, I just didn't make track passes much anymore. When I was young I used to launch the car at 4500 and shift at 7000 (short stroke plus balanced and blueprinted engine with solid lifters) and I stopped that long ago so I didin't break the numbers-matching engine or trans. I still won't do that but launching at 3500 and shifting at 6200 is OK, I was just paranoid that some mustang or ricer punk would lose it and smash me or something.

That super sucks. There was a black 70 GTX original paint survivor original owner that got a smashed front fender/grille/door chipped on his way to Fall Fling last year. Someone pulled out in front of him. I felt so bad for him.

Someone on Moparts said he saw a 2nd gen Barracuda that was in a wreck that looked like someone pulled out on him. Sounds like it was you. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4545137&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1

To me survivors are the toughest to drive. If anything happens you are screwed. If it's been restored, it can always be fixed again like it was before. But you can't match patina.
Yes. Screwed it is. I just hope State Farm is as easy to work with on this as they have been on other issues.

Oh crap! I love that car man! Like everyone said, this is our worse nightmare and by the worst of luck, you had to live it. I was going to give away my doors for the RC, but seeing this happen to you, I've changed my mind. No one wanted them anyway, lol!

I hope you find what you need and I'll keep my eyes and ears open. If I see anything, I'll be sure to let you know.

BTW, If it makes you feel any better, Maxi got blasted again just twenty minutes ago by Mr. Skunk. I saw him too and he's a big hissing bastard. I wanna shoot that fkr.

Dam,
Oh man !!! That really sucks. Cant even imagine how upset you are.
I'm sick, and it is not even my car.
Hope it all works out for you.
Take care.
John

-
Back