disc brake conversion kits

-
street/strip....strip only....how much does the car weight?

I have a complete Master Power four wheel disc on my Dart. No complaints.

This

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=239

db1303mhpnew_large.jpg

and this

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=228

db1300bhpr_large.jpg

I have used the Wilwood vented front disc kit with good results. I combined it with a later model aluminum master cylinder and Wilwood proportioning valve. I believe they have kits for front drum or disc brake equiped A Bodies. It was easy to install.

I think the benefit/hassle ratio is out of whack for 4 wheel disk brake kits.

Its nice to have a rotor to look at through the spokes on the rear wheel, but the actual braking advantage over drums is pretty slim.

I put a stainless steel brakes front kit on my Dart and B-body stuff on the rear and I can take the first turn off at the strip if I want to.

I've got 4 wheel disc brakes from SSBC on my Barracuda. I did the conversion years ago when I was running my nitrous 360. The old drum brakes could barely slow the car down at the end of the 1/4 mile. This was at Bandimere speedway in Colorado where the shut down area is up hill!....scary stuff. I'm happy with the SSBC kit for my street/strip car. The car is faster now, and I can always make the first turn off with ease.

I think the benefit/hassle ratio is out of whack for 4 wheel disk brake kits.

Its nice to have a rotor to look at through the spokes on the rear wheel, but the actual braking advantage over drums is pretty slim.

I put a stainless steel brakes front kit on my Dart and B-body stuff on the rear and I can take the first turn off at the strip if I want to.

Maybe thats true(don't know), but the ease of maint. on discs is so much better. I can't stand drum brakes. They're a pita for maint. and are only used today because car companies are cheap.

Maybe thats true(don't know), but the ease of maint. on discs is so much better. I can't stand drum brakes. They're a pita for maint. and are only used today because car companies are cheap.

I can see your point, but rear drums last a long long long time, plus its easy to back the shoes off to where you're getting no drag whatsoever from the brakes, which isn't always so easy with disks.

Granted, my car has the bigger B-body stuff on it for BBP, and its all new stuff so maybe it works a little better than the stock Abody. With the front disks there's no comparison to how the car drove with the front drums.

I probably won't go through another set of rear shoes as long as I own my cars. Disc set ups on the rear do seem to be lighter than the drum set ups.

I believe the wilwood stuff will knock about 30-40# of unsprung weight out of the front, compared to the factory parts, which is pretty good place to lose it.

actually if you have the 73 and later disc brakes on the front and drums in the rear...the strange disc brake kit I put on my Demon front and rear took off about 85 lbs....but they are for a 2800 lbs car or less...basically race only...

-
Back