disc brake swap turn full resto

-
wow ti is turning out really nice. did you paint the plymouth leters on the back?

yeah i used rustoelum 500 deg temp engine paint, let dry for 5 hours (it wont be fully dry so becareful not to touch the paint for too long) then take a razor blade to carefully scrap the top paint off then finish up with 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper to remove the rest of the paint left behind and it kind of polishes the chrome just dont get carried away with the sand paper. I also used the same paint on the jack, side emblems and grill. Its got to be the nicest rattle can paint ive ever seen but takes a long time to fully dry.

1057_429890300404340_1679199822_n.jpg

Got the new windshield installed this morning (only took the guy an hour). Now its sitting at the alignment shop waiting its turn. next will be the hellwig front sway bar then probly stored for winter since the tabs are up and would be due in march.

Nice.. Thought you were taking it to a show. Those bumpers are shiny...Not much happening after the storm alot if destruction.

Yeah im watching 'The Five' and there covering all the destruction and whats not being done to help those people. The AMB bumpers were nicer that I thought they would be. When I went to pick the car up from the windshield shop a guy walked in and asked "whats that grey car" so now Im going to have a plate placard made that says "What is it?"

Yeah im watching 'The Five' and there covering all the destruction and whats not being done to help those people. The AMB bumpers were nicer that I thought they would be. When I went to pick the car up from the windshield shop a guy walked in and asked "whats that grey car" so now Im going to have a plate placard made that says "What is it?"
I think whoever has a valiant is always gonna be asked by someone what kind of car is that? And you even have all your badges on yours. On mine I only have Plymouth front and rear. The gas lines are anywhere from 2 to 4 hour wait. Only got power back today maybe 6 hours ago.

I cant imagine what you east coast guys are going through. Called the alignment shop and it wont be done till monday. Wouldnt take that long but the rack is occupied.

69746_10151238338344443_256893535_n.jpg

536513_10151238338619443_554603763_n.jpg

554065_10151238338809443_1031186731_n.jpg

Got the Valiant back from the alignment shop today and installed the Hellwig 1 1/8" front sway bar. While installing the sway bar I noticed my "new" driver side front brake caliper is leaking out of the piston. havnt even put 1 mile on the car. I also noticed my gas gauge is showing 1/4 tank. with 8 gal of gas in the tank it should show just below 1/2 right? might be because the *** of the car is up which I plan to flip the front spring mount around to get a 2" drop in the rear then maybe crank the torsion bars up a hair to raise the front. Its sitting a little low for my taste.

Hi Denny, did you weld the sway bar end link brackets or are they bolted to the shock bolt? If you adjust the torsion bars now won't that throw off the alignment?

Its a complete bolt in kit (of great quality) and Im not sure if it will throw off the alignment. I was going to adjust it a little bit but even amounts side to side. I did have to drill out the holes in the k frame a bit to fit the 3/8 bolts. The alignment seems to be okay. Its going to be realigned after the v8 goes in. I got to drive it a little today before putting it away for winter. There is a slight grinding in the front right when brakes are applied. Not sure what thats all about. Did swap out the leaking drivers front caliper today be for the short drive. Radiator is taking a crap so I will be searching for another.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7nYFm8ap5M"]20121108 124809 - YouTube[/ame]
Sorry that the video is a bit shaky. Justin was filming it on this phone and it was windy.
76207_10151239669529443_2035890581_n.jpg

Looking good! So was this the solid sway bar mounted to the k-frame? How did you feel it helped compared to no bar. Possibly contemplating putting a bar in the Dart. I also love that shade of silver too!

Looking good! So was this the solid sway bar mounted to the k-frame? How did you feel it helped compared to no bar. Possibly contemplating putting a bar in the Dart. I also love that shade of silver too!

It is hollow and light. Its hard to say on the handling since I didn't drive it after the sub frame connectors before the sway bar went on. But I can tell with the connector and bar its a night and day difference. Lot less flex and cuts the corners. The finish is called hammered on. I liked how it matches but adds contrast to my color.

Hey that slanty sounds pretty good w/ the dual exhaust. BTW be careful with that cover on the car they can mess up the paint if it's windy alot (like Yakima gets). Also, I thought Helwig redesigned the sway bars to have a bend in towards the ends so that when at full lock the bar wont hit the tire?

Lastly, IMO I would lower the rear by using the lowering perches that attach to the front of the leaf (firm feel has them, others....)
Really like how the car turned out, I had a 69 but sold it to concentrate on my 68 cuda.

Nates68

Hey that slanty sounds pretty good w/ the dual exhaust. BTW be careful with that cover on the car they can mess up the paint if it's windy alot (like Yakima gets). Also, I thought Helwig redesigned the sway bars to have a bend in towards the ends so that when at full lock the bar wont hit the tire?

Lastly, IMO I would lower the rear by using the lowering perches that attach to the front of the leaf (firm feel has them, others....)
Really like how the car turned out, I had a 69 but sold it to concentrate on my 68 cuda.

Nates68

Thanks for looking. The exhaust is dualed after the Turbo muffler. The car cover is a 5 layer with a scratch resistant layer on the inside and is sinshed down in the front/back and tighten from side to side. Its also parked next to the trailers garage to help block the wind from the NW. But today I did the starter on ricks 91 3500 454 dually (Justin's dad) and said there should be room for it in one of his 6 garage bays. So it might not even see snow. I haven't seen a redesigned hellwig sway bar but I bought this one 3-4 months ago. Ive looked into lowering perches but read about flipping them for free so I thought I'd start there. I will most likely use a spacer between the axle and leaf spring when the 8.75 goes in to adjust pinion angle.

This is a good looking build - Color looks good. The sway bar will not affect your alignment. Also we do have a new bar that kicks in under the strut rod if you are running wheels with a lot of backspace (5"+) like the bullitt Mustang wheels. With the wheels you are currently running you won't have any problems with our standard sway bar.

Thanks Dave and ill keep that in mind when I order my next set of wheels since the rear will be a b body rearend.

Uncovered the front of the car the other day to pull the old leaking radiator. When I rolled back the cover it was like Christmas in February. It looked just as nice as it did when I put it away for winter. I'm going to mock up for my Griffin 27" aluminum race radiator. It will be mounted with two pieces of 11"x 1.250" aluminum angle that my boss is going to tig weld for me for free (I suck at welding aluminium). I ordered the ar engineering 1" drop rear spring mounts from Mancini $85 after shipping. Soon I need to get started on the 360/727/8.75.

Yesterday we got the AR engineering 1" rear drop brackets installed, installed the 27" aluminum radiator, and now to deal with the hose situation. Front seats are out to be redone by a friend of a friend for $400.
Before
311142_10151207631989443_492411130_n.jpg

After
857452_10151445824429443_266132259_o.jpg

858812_10151445824724443_314043535_o.jpg

858672_10151445825169443_419922865_o.jpg

Wow this car has really come together nice. Go back to page 1 of your thread, hard to recognize it as the same car. Cool you had some buds with an eagerness to help out.

Thanks for the compliments and I do owe a couple friends so big favors. I need to get started on the v8 but it looks like the wives truck is first priority.

-
Back